Blizz wants us to have SSD for Shadowlands?

1 Like

Yes. It is a wise investment. There are also a quite a few threads on the subject already.

18 Likes

Will that work for Mac users?

But isn’t it a very expensive investment? WoW’s whole thing was about accessibility wasn’t it?

4 Likes

Not any more. The prices of ssd drives have dropped significantly over the past 5 years or so.

I picked up a 500 gig one for about $80 back in May and it was the best thing I ever done for my computer.

15 Likes

I have one for C drive but my D drive is way bigger and is Hard Drive.

1 Like

My wife has a mac and it already had an ssd in it but I could not get wow to run properly. I spent a lot of time reading and tweaking and reading some more. After 6 months I came to the conclusion that it is either impossible or beyond my skills. Ended up getting her an outdated dell laptop and wow ran fine on that.

That was the set up I had. A 128 gig one for the os and 2 1 TB drives, one for storage and one for software. At the time I couldn’t afford more. Think the 128 ssd was over $300 and the TB drives were $150 a piece.

I still have one of the 1 TB drives for storage and other games I don’t play or may play on a rainy day.

The ssd one I added has wow, starcaft and diablo on it and 2/3s of the drive are still free/empty.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, during this world-wide pandemic I can hardly afford an SSD drive, much less a new computer (Mac or PC). I don’t want to play shadow lands but I imagine these new requirements are even for people who still want to play wow without the new expansion; so, I guess I’m out.

Nice move Blizzard :frowning:

2 Likes

You can buy a SSD for $20.

8 Likes

Yeah but you didn’t say how many gigs it would have.

I’m not surprised at all.
Even gaming consoles are going to have SSDs builtin.

1 Like

120g, which is more than enough for just wow.

1 Like

Its not, it said Shadowlands would be like 100 gigs or so

1 Like

You can still play it from a regular HDD. Your load times may suffer, but it will still be playable.

5 Likes

There are 240 gig ones for about 30 bucks.

1 Like

They are just trying to pass off their trash optimization on SSDs now. There are other games that run fine on HD drives, like Doom eternal for example.

3 Likes

Oh, you’re one of those.

Gotcha.

7 Likes

You can get 1TB SSDs for fairly cheap these days, and the ones that plug directly into the motherboard are amazingly fast.

That said, as someone playing the beta right now, I have World of Warcraft installed on a standard HDD and it runs fine. I don’t think it’s ultimately going to matter if you have an SSD or not, but if you can get one? Get one. Standard HDDs are still superior when it comes to maximum capacity, but an SSD will always have faster speeds.

1 Like

I already have one. I may or may not use it will see if I need it.