Blizz said the majority wanted flight

Oh there was, actually. It was removed and deleted immediately.

1 Like

Debating ipsan is useless honestly. Iā€™ve played WoW for a very long time and for him to say if players like me quit we didnā€™t like the game anyway is nonsense. This new world of warcraft is a new game in itself to me personally. I never ever would of thought they would remove flying or gate it by any means since the world has been so vast for so long.

Players like the individual I stated above want the game the way blizzard sees it which is fine but players usually donā€™t sing that tune for long when the player base dwindles to the point where you see the same players all the time and no one new. To me I play world of warcraft because I do like their raid content and mythic content and this is the first expansion of me experiencing mythic content. What I donā€™t like it how they made rep grinding more important than ever before. It use to be a thing you did when you wanted faction recipes and armor/mounts. I actually wonder what their plan is because tabards no longer give rep and I canā€™t control the pace at which I gain rep. I remember putting a tabard on and running dungeons just for rep and did questing which was fine but I also remember specific dungeons giving rep towards a faction for that area.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s fine. People are just used to things in life being handed to them.

Not necessarily. I havenā€™t had an active live account since sometime in January yet this post seems to be working just fine.

The coding that disables the user from posting as soon as the account expires hasnā€™t worked since the new forums launched.

3 Likes

flying it is.

At level 60 a new player takes their hard earned gold, pays a trainer and voilaā€¦flies.

they then open their letter. It says: pick oneā€¦outland or northrend.

They pick northrend. They can fly thereā€¦

Later on the king loses his princessā€¦errr prince. We go to panda land. I donā€™t think many choose to go cata but it is an option too. And we can fly.

WoD is the start of the ugly. Pathfinder. Do we just forget how to fly? Does our flying mount go umm, yeahā€¦I just donā€™t feel like flying now dude. We walk it.

Also many have worked for this. My horde and alliance main are in fact exalted all. Several paragons (good money there). If we must have pathfindeitr its time to give us part 2. Our mains are primed and ready. Have been for months nowā€¦My only difficulty is choosing which main does the PF2.

8 Likes

On the hard drive Iā€™ve probably lost there are a great many pictures of me perching on things, sometimes alone and sometimes with a friend I donā€™t see anymore. What can I say? I like to perch. And it gets me in the game (on the other Illoras) to count as time played. I am not looking forward to going to BFA and seeing all those places I could perch on if I could JUST REACH and canā€™t because Iā€™d need to fly. Strategic dropping can only get you so far.

6 Likes

I ought to just re-respond that itā€™s not a bad argument, itā€™s just one you donā€™t want to have, because (a) itā€™s true and (b) you know deep down on which side of the argument the truth and the numbers actually lie.

Not having a developer giving exact sub numbers or internal research on flight gives you a convenient out to say, ā€œWell, absent any real numbers, all youā€™re doing is speculating.ā€ Speculation has a close cousin named Deductive Reasoning and one thing the WoD flight fiasco ought to have taught everyone is that Blizzardā€™s hand was forced. You had multiple developers try to sow the seeds of flight removal in interviews and/or on Twitter, and then all of a sudden flight was coming back and sub numbers wouldnā€™t be reported anymore, etc.

Now which is more believable: the player base spoke with their credit cards, or the entire dev team had a sudden change of heart about flight and Pathfinder was the end game all along?

I know which one Iā€™m picking. Itā€™s the one that follows reasonable logic. Not to mention the only people I see raise the ā€œfor good of the gameā€ placard are typically either the ones overly concerned with exclusivity of some kind, or the ones who get romantic feelings for world PvP (especially ganking/camping). I can choose whose opinions to prioritize, and I donā€™t make a habit of prioritizing either of those.

11 Likes

Iā€™m of the belief that you experience that game more without flying. Currently, iā€™m happy. It doesnā€™t take me long to get anywere, we have flight whistles, we have hearthstones, we have gliders and toys that extend flight.

I think some devs personally want to give everyone their fair share of time exploring and enjoying the landscape. That includes new players that donā€™t buy the exapnsion on release. I got legion pathfinder and the amount of times i just sat in the sky and took it all in were few. I mean yea some things are pretty from very high up, but at some point you or your alts will be just flying from ore to ore or herb to herb and with herb tracking and ore tracking its pin pointed. so everything just becomes a treetop or something similar. The achievements arenā€™t that hard and iā€™d be fine if they came in 8.1.5 rather than 8.2. Iā€™m also not against your alts account wide having the flying once its unlocked. But only really if we keep it the way it is. Another compromise from my perspective is have flying unlocked from the start view some achieve but donā€™t make it account wide. So at least your main has it.

Itā€™s entirely possible that a feature like flying has short-term positive but a long-term negative.

Itā€™s also entirely possible that timegating a feature like flying for a year will have a long-term negative effect.

8 Likes

But only in the Heavensward zones, right? Because ā€œswimming in air is fun!!!ā€

I mean, it hasnt yet, best year ever and we all knew flying wasnt coming out till later.

I totally agree with this. Used to be Exalted meant something, and was something folks did because they wanted to. Which why I had few exalted reps in the past (in fact, I rarely gave rep a second thought at all until, probably, MoP).

Now weā€™re exalted everywhere all the time. Kind of takes what little joy there is in it, away.

2 Likes

But only in the Heavensward zones, right? Because ā€œswimming in air is fun!!!ā€

Heavensward, Stormblood and the new zones to come. All of which will require an unlockā€¦but no 12 month timegates.

Left that part outā€¦didnt you?

And yes, it is. Strangely enough, people are happy to part with money to participate in an activity they find to be funā€¦and to withhold their money from activities that arent fun anymore.,

The end result is one gets MORE money and one gets LESSā€¦guess which category FF14 falls into?

7 Likes

Yeah, someone told me about that.

I just donā€™t happen to buy the idea that in this day and age that whoever managed to see it before it was removed didnā€™t get a screencap of it. When I see that screen grab, Iā€™ll eat a whole plate of crow. Until then, Iā€™m not gonna let some hear-say about a phantom post be all that convincing.

Thatā€™s fine and I kinda prefaced my question acknowledging that you could recall at least once time where you perched on something.

Iā€™ll try to ask the question a bit more pointedly: How often in your day-do-day gameplay do you find that your ability to perch on things has a meaningful impact on what you decide to do with your character, regarding the kinds of content you do?

Itā€™s really easy to convince me on this. Just show me something that confirms that grounded players is a deliberate decision to stretch out engagement times. You find that, Iā€™ll happily eat my words.

Iā€™m not going to be swayed by speculation.

I just donā€™t happen to buy the idea that in this day and age that whoever managed to see it before it was removed didnā€™t get a screencap of it. When I see that screen grab, Iā€™ll eat a whole plate of crow.

As far as I am aware someone didā€¦but that someone has left the game long since.

Would not having to fight tigers and lions and bears, oh my! every few feet while you walk to your destination count as stretching out engagement times?

Well unless theyā€™re on the moon or have scrubbed their hard drive, Iā€™m sure they can be contacted and asked to be given a copy of this smoking gun of an image. Otherwise the claim that this is out there isnā€™t good enough.

Can you tell me a time where your ability to perch offered an advantage in how you played your character?

In Outland, if you didnā€™t fly, the reaver would stomp you flat. So, all the time I was leveling in Hellfire Peninsula my ability to perch on things meant I wasnā€™t frequently killed.

Hazard avoidance, then. There used to be a lot more of that in BC, but those things arenā€™t really around in the modern game.

Right now the only advantage flying offers you is to move in a straight line over terrain while avoiding creatures. Anyone whoā€™s played this game long enough knows that one of the tips on the start screen says something along the lines of ā€˜mobs donā€™t tend to go near pathsā€™.

the reasoning for not allowing flying had nothing to do with pvp. the art team didnt feel appreciated enough because people would just fly over everything but now we just click a fp and tab to dual monitor to post on forums, twitch, youtube etc. :woman_shrugging: