Blizz killing disc 9.1

Putting SS in the game after the entire community saying they didn’t want it and losing the precision and skill based style of healing (evange playstyle) disc had throughout BfA has made it less enjoyable for a large portion of the community. I am definitely not alone in thinking that disc does not feel nearly as rewarding to play as the skill gap gets lower and lower.

A lot of people agree that throughout BfA disc was a lot of fun in raid, you don’t have to agree with this it is just what I have observed in the priest community. And yes I have no issues with disc in mythic plus in 9.1 it is better than it has been in a long time however after getting a 2kio for 3 tiers in a row as disc I was definitely burnt out by the end of 9.0. My concern in this thread is how a really fun raiding spec was just made less and less fun overtime to where we are now

OK, but SS got nerfed to a point where Evangelism is the play in most fights right now? Realistically, if you liked BfA disc, the playstyle is pretty much the same right now, outside maybe that you’re separating rapture ramps?

The playstyle has been bad in raid since the huge hit to atonement duration, talent reworks and Evangelism’s introduction IMO. It’s what forced the spec into being ONLY the walking cooldown. At least before that, we could heal between ramps somewhat.

Calling people idiots while complaining that SS is not fun when evangelism has been taken so much is not a good look.

Your knee jerk reaction to 9.1 disc is embarrassing just like every patch when people come to the forum to QQ about disc and it still ends up meta.

Keep QQing about SS, though.

Blizzard should delete covenant abilities all together, replace them with just fun personal utilities and then add two more talent tiers. Stop ‘innovating’ and just do what works plsandthnkyou

the cov ability is such a small part of it though. Is there really that much of a gimp to not being 100% meta in everything you do?

Discipline priest’s entire design hinges on converting the burst damage provided by the covenant abilities into HPS through atonement. None of Disc’s actual abilities do any real damage anymore, its only the covenant abilities, so without a covenant ability that deals direct damage you do significantly lower healing.

1 Like

are smite and mind blast no longer used to atonement heal? I havent played disc in months so im not sure if you mean its changed now since. Referring to you saying disc doesn’t really do damage now.

They are, they just don’t heal nearly as much as they did in previous expansions.

This is largely because when Spirit Shell got introduced in raid testing and was overpowered, Blizzard saw fit to reduce damage of the base kit across the board for Disc pretty severely, rather than address Spirit Shell. That makes the Raid playstyle heavily reliant on our Covenant abilities, which still do very large amounts of damage.

You can still play a Night Fae Disc priest in raid and rely mostly on Rapture ramps, and you’ll still do alright HPS, but you never reach the heights of Boon/Mindgames and you do significantly less damage, which is really the only way the Spec gets taken besides Barrier.

And Unholy Nova still doesn’t contribute to Atonement so that’s cool.

does holy overtake disc in hps now in general?

someone had told me that’s just a rumor and the game is being worked on still. So im not so sure.

I think that the huge nerf to disc’s dmg to healing conversion was really tough for the feeling of the play style at least in mythic + for me.

I reaaally enjoyed disc 8.3 and though the ramp style was similar I didn’t feel like either a shadowmend bot in mythic + or like I have to sit on my hands in between ramps as much. I have been enjoying the new boon play style a ton but I think it’s only bc it goes back to the feeling my dmg actually matters.

Almost all the Disc Priests I’ve seen have changed over to the Evangelism playstyle which personally feels a lot more fun.

Spirit Shell was a boring and easy to pick-up playstyle since all you did was ramp up and use spirit shell. The only “bad” way to play Disc then was simply to not ramp up properly at the right times.

The only downside is you have to be Kyrian to get the most out of it.

Which is funny, because with kyrian i dont mind SS so much because there is now a complexity to making it work properly, wheras with venthyr i dont feel there was