Blizz 8.3 Response to Essence Grind

The problem is the grind in general. Essences and Neck need to be account wide.

I would play more if I did not face a huge grind for alts. It is simply not worth it for me.

4 Likes

No idea. I didn’t ask. I just know they have at least two alts in their progression raid guilds that they actually use when needed and not just do alts runs. :woman_shrugging:t2:

To them, things get done that need to get done to raid. That’s how progression raiding goes.

1 Like

For me I pay money for entertainment. If the grind is not fun this is the only way I can provide feedback on a 12-15 dollar per month game is this forum

7 Likes

some of would be happy to take a second easy to get essence (if not just give it out) to shut the damned character screen up actually. WHy I want second essence anyway for alts.

Hell they could make the damn thing be blank with no stats. Just has to shut the damn warning up. Not using an addon anyway.

2 Likes

If my alt has cleared the same raid and dungeon content that your main has, it should have the same power. I shouldn’t have to do 2 months of daily quests.

1 Like

It’s being cut down to half. You can get to revered in a matter of a few weeks. The only essences that will be painful come 8.3 is the pvp ones and the ep one, which 8.3 is coming out with new essences that are very powerful and will be used even if just for the corruption resist. I still haven’t farmed all the r3s i need either, but I’ve been playing long enough to not blame the system on my laziness. This game has become easy enough due to blizz catering to the vocal minority. Character progression is a good thing.

Only the mechagon and naj rep ones are being reduced. Essences like Memory Of Lucid Dreams will still need a month worth of dailies to get rank 3.

This game has become easy enough due to blizz catering to the vocal minority. Character progression is a good thing.

People who don’t like the essence system are not a minority. Character progression that requires you to do obsolete content is not a good thing, which is why we haven’t had to do that any time in the game’s history since patch 2.3.

This is without even mentioning the fact that requiring people to PvP for PvE gear shouldn’t ever have existed to begin with.

3 Likes

Oh I’m surprised Basp didn’t post in this thread… Oops he’s the 4th post, never mind. Lol.

Well when nobody is playing the game you won’t see many complaints :P.

Most players doing challenging don’t care about “working” to obtain things, but at least make that work either challenging, a unique experience each time, or allow multiple ways to earn the reward (Hmmm sounds like gear).

No idea why people still compare essences to gear. I don’t ever recall grinding reputation for BiS gear that was unobtainable otherwise.

4 Likes

We’ve lost a lot more players due to the game becoming easy and unrewarding than we have from from grinds, the subscriber count from launch to mop can tell you that. And catchup mechanics weren’t as easy as they are now until probably the end of wrath.

I agree with pvping to pve being stupid.

That is a very big oversimplification as to why we lost players. The game is still very hard in many parts of the game. The problem is all the anti player systems that drive them away

That’s a lot of hyperbole right there.

The changes help -new players-. They do nothing for alts. Period.

The grind for Mechagon/Nazjatar is still a month or two, even at Revered and with the reduced currency costs.

If they think I’m going to do that for 2-3 characters, they’re nuts. I shouldn’t have to do THAT MUCH -JUST- to get a basic level of usefulness on a character.

And yes, Rank 3s are a basic level of usefulness, before someone says “JUST USE RANK 1s OR 2s!” the game is now balanced around rank 3s, rather you like it or not.

It’s not about wanting multiple mains or anything. It’s about wanting to do something other than island expeditions on our alts.

I’ve lost track of how many M+2s I’ve been denied on my Mistweaver becuase I don’t have anything other than the base essence. I’ve lost track of how many people have LEFT GROUPS I HAVE FORMED because they used addons to view my character after joining. For those who think this doesn’t happen, maybe you should try it and see the reality of the community these days.

Things are balanced around them, it’s just how it is.

Rank 3 of Mechagon’s Healer Essence for Example? Mechagon’s healing essence takes a portion of your overheal and stores it in an Azerite Bubble. The active ability allows you to unleash it on a target as a heal. The Rank 3 version? It causes the overheal to generate MUCH faster if you don’t have a lot in the bubble in the first place, and on top of this, it causes the heal to not expel all of the stored overhealing when you use it, instead only however much you need to heal the person to full.

Rank 3 of this essence in particular is a massive, MASSIVE, MASSIVE. I literally cannot stress how massive of a boost to healing it is. It’s even massive compared to rank 2, let alone not having it.

Yet they somehow think keeping it locked behind what will be old content in 8.3, and will still be a 1-2 month grind, is acceptable?

No. This is just one example.

The Eternal Palace raid essence is a 5-6 month grind for people who don’t want to do Normal+ of an outdated raid on alts, and want to try to earn it through LFR on alts.

Like it or not, essences need to be account wide, Blizzard needs to understand this.

6 Likes

I could agree with that. I just don’t look at this example as being one of them. I mentioned in another thread just giving people all essences and designing new ones that are significantly better with corrupt resist, and we got 2of them with the new reps (my suggestion was to make more so the 8.2 were obsolete) but with less than a month of the 8.3 launch i don’t see that happening.

In regards to your last post, the grind isn’t the issue in the least bit. I don’t know anyone who has an issue with doing the grind once.

In fact, if essences were account wide, I’d be applauding Blizzard for the changes they made, because they would be great changes in helping people catch up.

But no. These changes are their “supposed” attempt to make them easier for alts, which in no way, shape, or form do they help alts. Turning a 2 month grind I’ve already done once before into a 1 month grind you expect me to do multiple times again doesn’t help me play my alt. It still requires a massive grind that I’m not going to do, I’d rather delete the game and unsubscribe.

2 Likes

It’s not for alts, it’s for new and returning players. Nowhere in blizzards design philosophy does it say your mains power should represent your alts power. Catchup mechanics in general aren’t designed for alts, they are just inherently useful for them if you didnt touch them last patch.

They literally state it’s for alts in their post, and that a side effect is it will also help returning players. Maybe you should read the posts in the OP.

There is a reason alt players like me are not happy.

And I’m not going to respond to you after this, since you decided to ignore my last post, in which I explicitly explain how this has nothing to do with wanting another main, and explain why.

1 Like

In Visions of N’Zoth, we’re making changes to the acquisition of Essences related to the Rise of Azshara zones. Our goal here is to lessen the effort needed to acquire Essences from Nazjatar and Mechagon for new and returning players as we want players to feel able to focus on content updated in Visions of N’Zoth.

Straight from the patch notes. And i didn’t ignore it what you said. I have 1 of every class too, most of which are geared enough to do the majority of the content the game has to offer. But they are alts. I don’t expect them to do what my main can do with no effort. Character progression through gear alone is pointless when you can go from dinging 120 to having a 420+ilvl in a day.

A lot of people seem to forget that the majority of the healer essences are locked behind rep or daily grinds… aka solo content where healing is useless. I get it, essences aren’t a big deal if your BiS is crucible/memebeam/condensed-life-force, but healers don’t have that option.

It was a joke, but there’s some truth to it. I won’t say people are quitting solely based on essences, but they sure aren’t helping any situation.

XD. I see this used a lot as an argument. Essences aren’t hard to get, they’re (rep/daily ones) just time-consuming and tedious. There is no effort in me switching to my DPS spec and swinging away doing every single world quest on the map.

Why not advocate for fun, creative, and challenging ways to obtain essences if the game is “too easy”? Rep grinding doesn’t fix that issue at all.

3 Likes

If i said simple instead of easy would it make you feel better? When people refer to vanilla or even bc as being harder, they aren’t referring to how challenging the content is (some do, we call those people idiots), it’s that everything is time gated by long grinds. As far as the essences being “easy” to get, sure, the activities are very easy, it just takes a while.

just give everyone all rank one essences in 8.3