Blank friends list

Idk if this goes here… if not. Sorry. - My friends list has been completely blank for the past 2 days now. I’ve tried scan and repair, I’ve tried disabling all addons, I don’t know what else to do. It’s completely blank. Friends can see me online but there’s nothing at all on my end. - I also forgot to add that when people message me on bnet it just says “whispers: --” No name or anything. I can only respond through the bnet launcher social tab.

2 Likes

Have you tried a full UI reset? It’s not the same as disabling all addons.

2 Likes

Okay, I did that and the list is showing… Does that mean I need to completely redo my entire UI? Or is there some way to save the previous settings with the addons?

Since you said you disabled your addons prior and that didn’t fix it, it could mean that one of your addons is corrupt, or that the entire thing went corrupt. You could go back to the previous UI files and try removing addons and fiddling with it to see what exactly is causing the trouble, or redo your UI and be careful with ones that may cause weird problems. (My friends complain often about ElvUI, for example.)

1 Like

Yeah, I play with Elvui. I’ve never had an issue with it til now. I’ll have to see what I can figure out and hope I don’t have to redo the whole thing. Thank you so much for your help!

3 Likes

Any time! Glad to help out.

2 Likes

Okay, it happened again. I did another full UI reset and this time it isn’t showing the list at all anymore. It’s still blank even with a complete reset. I’m completely lost on what to do anymore.

One of your add-ons is likely still causing the issue. Try resetting again even though you’ve already tried it.

1 Like

It’s still completely blank.

Note that the customer already stated “I’ve tried disabling all addons” before you posted your “advice”.
That means the problem is not caused by third party addons. (though the Blizzard supplied addon lua/xml code could be involved).

This same issue happened to me the other day - and I also disabled third party addons, but the blank friends list remained. In my case the issue resolved the next day - despite no addon changes.

So, we know addons are not the cause, and that the bug is still hiding somewhere in the application code.

Yes, that is true. With almost no other reports of this happening to others it’s hard to say definitively what may have caused it. However, we’ve also seen situations in which a UI reset may not have been accurately completed and thus elements of the addon/UI remained.

So the “advice” isn’t entirely out of place.

That isn’t necessarily true. The only thing that verifies is restarting your client may have resolved the issue, temporarily or otherwise. Just as sometimes just reloading your UI can do the same thing.

If resetting your UI doesn’t help, please submit a bug report. As I mentioned, we have very few reports from folks experiencing the same issue so that limits the data that our QA team has to help verify what could be happening and what they may need to do so fix it.

7 Likes