Blacklisting Battlegrounds from Random BGs (Dungeons too?)

So, this was a very polarizing decision when Blizzard removed the option to blacklist certain battlegrounds from the rotation when you queue for a random bg.

However, the explanation they gave never made sense - because they separated Epic BGs, they didn’t feel blacklisting was needed anymore. Even though there wasn’t many epic bgs, and the people I know who did random bgs weren’t blacklisting the epic bgs. (I for example, blacklisted Silvershard and Battle for Gilneas, as I’ve never had a good win rate in either one of them, (this was before Seething Shore was added))

That didn’t take into account there are still bgs that players don’t like for one reason or another - for instance, I despise Seething Shore, as do a lot of people (do seething shore 1-2 times and you’ll see the animosity towards it in the battleground chat). This results in most of the time, about half the team rage quitting when the game begins and allowing the other team a total victory if they didn’t have rage quitting, cause for some reason the game takes forever to fill up slots of people who left. I’ve seen it happen on both sides.

Likewise, I’ve seen people ragequit pretty much every battleground because they don’t personally like it. (I leveled 7 toons from 10-50 just through battlegrounds during 9.0, so I experienced a lot lol).

What harm would come from re-introducing bg blacklisting other than making the game a more enjoyable experience for players? The people who despise a bg no longer will have to do that bg, and people who like that bg won’t have to deal with people ragequitting cause they got it, leaving their team at a disadvantage.

To add to this, why can’t this be extended to dungeons as well? When I’m leveling, I usually do Vanilla dungeons as they’re fastest, but once Dire Maul unlocks, I switch expansions - because Dire Maul is, for me, the worst dungeon in the game currently during leveling.

18 Likes

Ive always thought instead of blacklisting which ones you dont want why dont we just whitelist the ones we do want to play and just let that go forward from that point. I know that If im playing with a bunch of friends temple is pretty fun but if im alone wsg is pretty great for the sake of just playing. I understand that the idea behind certain bgs being good and certain bgs being bad but if I want to sit in a 50 min Q to play WSG or twin peaks why not.

Same goes for blacklisting as most people will just drop the bgs they do not want to play punishing people who are still in so why not meet everyones needs and just do it easy.

5 Likes

I would really like it if the option to blacklist specific Battlegrounds became a thing in-game again. There is a couple of Battlegrounds I would actually blacklist with one of them being Isle of Conquest.

Isle of Conquest is actually my least favorite Battleground currently in the game. However, I do love Seething Shore! Regarding Battlegrounds, I would love it if Blizzard brought back the Strand of the Ancients map for Battlegrounds. I, Along with many other players really enjoyed participating in there before it was removed.

As for blacklisting specific dungeons, I wouldn’t mind seeing this either. There is a few dungeons out there that I’m not a huge fan of like Vault of the Warden’s from the Legion expansion. So I would be blacklisting that one for sure for when I level characters from time-to-time.

Other than this, YES! Would 100% love it if the blacklisting feature was to make a return to the game! :smiley:

2 Likes

My only concern would be the effect it would have on players who want to play the more unfavorable maps (IE Seething Shore). Imagine you want to get learn to get good at that map and practice it, but because the entire playerbase has it blacklisted, you now have to singularly select it as your option and then wait 6 hours in queue. Or perhaps you flat out enjoy an unpopular map but never have the chance to play it anymore.
Allowing players to select their own maps would provide Blizzard with another statistic to evaluate the success of their PvP maps (and possibly assist whoever attains that new PvP Map position they announced recently), but it would certainly harm a minority of players during the interim unless they swiftly resolve whatever the underlying cause for the disdain is.

2 Likes

I have a feeling they have data on which maps are the most/least popular. I think it’s fine to remove an unpopular map though, very few would mourn its loss.

Bring back old deepwind

2 Likes

It would be great to have a Blue Post on this, but realistically, i’m struggling to envision how they’d capture this data. Seething Shore was removed from rated because of the overwhelming bug reports from players appearing they are on the skyrocket and being able to attack players; but aside from mass bug reports, we dont exactly submit player feedback on battlegrounds.

1 Like

Complaints, bug reports, customer feedback, etc…

I’m still annoyed they removed Strand of the Ancients, personally.

If the argument was that it was too hard to win if you went first/second/etc. then why on Earth did they bring back Wintergrasp where offense loses like 95% of the time?

3 Likes

They re-did Wintergrasp fairly recently, and it’s much more balanced now. I’m currently using the REflex addon to register match information since roughly 21st of May, and this is my current status:

• 16 wins. 9 defenses, 7 attacks
  • 3 losses, 1 attack, 2 defenses

Attacks I’ve won were between between 4 and 9 minutes, with one outlier in 17 minutes.