Black Lotus Supply/Demand is Untrue to Vanilla

This is not the topic of the thread. The topic is that supply and demand ratios are untrue to Vanilla due to increased server sizes, and that a change needs to be made to bring the economy closer in-line with Vanilla, which is the entire point of Classic.

1 Like

You can keep saying this but everyone with an iota of intelligence knows your real motive here. The economy is more than Black Lotus; the demand for other goods has increased compared to Vanilla as well but you don’t care about those other goods because their increased price hasn’t reached whatever threshold you deem inappropriate.

3 Likes

and its time to stop

1 Like

Black Lotus isn’t the only issues on high pop realms, Thorium nodes are also a pia due to the sheer amount of people farming it. It’s taken me a week to get 150 ore and i need another 500ish to get to 300 Armorsmith. All the zones for BL and Thorium are camped almost 24 hours a day it’s getting beyond the joke.

These server pops are not true to vanilla, vanilla was never designed around the sheer amount of players in the med to high pop realms that we’re seeing now as they well exceed the “high” pop from vanilla servers.

This is just another very bad decision from Blizzard in a long list of them, it’s why i stopped playing BfA after 2 months from launch, and it’s why i will never touch retail again until they change a lot of the game back. It’s also getting to the point I’m losing interest in Classic as well, i hate over pop servers.

2 Likes

Its every node spawn basically. Its a really common sense fix. For some reason blizzard refuses to do it

1 Like

Can you not tell by my portrait that I’m a tank? I’m not parsing any higher or lower because of Flask of the Titans.

And yes, I also read that blue post a long time ago where it’s also stated at the very end that

But in reality this never happened on the scale that is mentioned here. There were tons of very fundamental changes like server pops and layering that fly directly in the face of this quote. It was nothing more than lipservice to the #nochanges crowd. We ended up with VERY different systems than Vanilla, and as Classic’s lifetime continued, we’ve actually seen some of these

be changed like premading and safe spots. So linking that post as if they actually adhered to that plan is absurd given the

we ended up with.

2 Likes

You’re parsing plenty higher when you don’t die because you have a much larger HP pool thanks to Flask of the Titans.

Tanks flask so they don’t get instagibbed. Parsing is probably lowest on the list of reason why tanks flask. Of course you can’t parse if you’re dead,but much, much more importantly is that you can’t kill bosses if your tanks die.

And going back to the topic of this thread, it is incredibly expensive to flask every week with such an inflated cost because Blizzard fundamentally changed server sizes with no regard to how it would affect the rest of the game. This is nothing like Vanilla where flasks went for 50-60g in most cases.

2 Likes

That’s true.

However, in vanilla, not everyone felt the need to flask like they do now a days. I raided a lot in vanilla (cleared everything except Nax which I only dabbled in) and I can honestly say I rarely flasked. Our tanks were always flasked on progression nights but other than that, flasks were pretty rare unless we were really trying to get over the hump on a boss. On farm nights nobody flasked.

Nowadays just about everyone wants a flask for raids and it’s part of the supply and demand pricing your seeing.

Flask of the Titans

By chaweth [on 2006/01/16] (Patch 1.9.2)
I have been selling these on Dethecus for 100g. They take awhile but they do sell. Planning on making a lot when the AQ gates open.

1 Like

Pointing to a case that is so much the exception that a forum post was made about it is not an argument in your favor.

3 Likes

You made an absolute statement, what a joke.

You’re the joke. You found the one person who managed to sell flasks at an inflated price very slowly. If you want me to edit my post because of that one guy, I’ll do it. But 100g was outrageous in Vanilla, and 100g in Classic is a steal. If anything, linking that post is an argument in my favor, not yours.

2 Likes

I hope nobody ever tells you to “break a leg”. I started raiding in aq and the most I paid for a flask was 70g. 100g was unheard of.

4 Likes

You could have just stopped here and saved everyone a lot of time. The next 20 paragraphs were entirely unneccessary

1 Like

Here, I made a TL;DR for this thread:

“Blizz my flasks are too expensive because everyone wants to get good parses on easy content. Please make the game easier than it already is by increasing the Black Lotus spawns.”

1 Like

Parsing is the last reason a main tank would be using a Flask.

1 Like

Never heard of a tank who flasks for better logs of all things. And coming from a paladin unironically.

1 Like

So many aspects of Classic are untrue to Vanilla.
Simply the number of sweaty shut-ins who ruin the experience for the majority is one of them.

But pertaining to Black lotuses specifically.
I dont believe Eagle Eye scouting was an effective tool as Eagle eye had a limited range and had to obey line of sight restrictions.

Im also suprised at the lack of awareness of people who have 11+ accounts and camp black lotus spawns with dead characters so they can instantly see when it pops.

Multiboxing was not a thing back in true vanilla, barely anyone would have the PC specs for it.

The method for attaining the ‘Lotus’ from TBC onwards was changed to being a low chance to come from all of the current content’s herb spawns and then removed completely for Cataclysm.

Agreed, and your first point is also my point. There were some really bizarre design choices for Classic in terms of the things they decided to make true to Vanilla (spell batching and purposefully recreating bugs), and the things they didn’t (server populations and layering). And the things they ended up changing actually had a really significant impact on the game, to the point where the overall experience is quite different.

Of course it was never going to be exactly the same, but the server populations thing really did ruin certain aspects of the game like the economy (as well as unmitigated botting).

I guess I’m just trying to put myself in the dev’s shoes and I’m asking myself why would they make such drastic changes to server sizes without also increasing the availability of world resources to compensate for it? It’s a weird case of adhering to #nochanges actually creates a different world than Vanilla, and which is more important? Adhering to the original mechanics of the game, which were in no way designed to support such big populations? Or adjusting resource availability to match Classic populations, which results in a world that feels much more like the original?

Not to mention, adding BL spawns to high level nodes ends the botting problem on the spot. Is it really worth it to hold that stubbornly to #nochanges in this case?