Black Lotus Supply/Demand is Untrue to Vanilla

This has been stated multiple times now, but here’s another thread about it because while it’s already a mild nuisance to farm enough gold for flasks, it’s going to get MUCH worse in later tiers and I’d rather not wait until then to start making these threads.

When Blizzard designed Classic with giant server populations compared to Vanilla, it definitely made other aspects of the game untrue to Vanilla, namely the economy and supply/demand for basically everything. If the design goal of Classic is indeed to provide as close to the original experience of Vanilla as possible, then why does this not extend to supply/demand ratios as well? The economy is a core part of the experience of the game, and to have inflated server populations (inflated demand) without changing the supply to match creates an experience that is untrue to the original and flies directly in the face of the presumed design goals of Classic.

The suggestion has been made many times now to add a small (~1% chance) on high level nodes to give a Black Lotus. While this particular mechanic is not true to Vanilla, it corrects the supply/demand gap and actually brings it closer to the original experience than what we currently have. Please consider increasing Black Lotus supply to match the demand that came with giant server populations so we can have a much closer experience to Vanilla.

13 Likes

Soooooo stock up now.

The closer experience to vanilla is we didnt need flasks and still beat the game. Fyi Flasks disappeared on death for most of vanilla so it wasnt really a thing unless you were stuck on a boss.

1 Like

I am not arguing whether they are needed or not. I am arguing that supply and demand is untrue to Vanilla. If your argument is that demand was lower back then because they were basically useless until patch 1.7, then it makes the current discrepancy in Classic even worse since not only is demand higher in Classic in the min-maxing era, but the supply is lower relative to the server population.

But to be clear, I’m not saying Lotus should be changed because more people use flasks in the modern era. I’m arguing it should be changed for the very simple fact that populations in Classic are much higher than they were in Vanilla, which makes the supply/demand ratio of Classic untrue to the original.

6 Likes

They’re not going to change lotus spawns. Aside from a couple servers, most of them are within Vanilla server levels and there’s a couple that are more dead than any server was during Vanilla.

The issue is parsing, not lotus spawns. Everyone wants to flask for their parses.

Why aren’t you complaining about the other resources in the world? Cause you don’t care about them, you only care about lotus because you want to parse.

1 Like

Are people flasking anyway?

Tanks are.

3 Likes

Probably true.

Confused on what you calling racist here. Chinese or ghosts?

Better idea: just fix the population caps to be accurate to vanilla and all these problems will solve themselves.

Changes caused this, and you want to enact more changes? Why not just… undo the changes? It’s like placing a bowl of rotten eggs on your dinner table and complaining that the room stinks, then saying “maybe some dog poo would help the stench.”

2 Likes

“We are sorry for the inconvenience, Ohshiftson, but in order to correct server populations to be true to Vanilla, we have moved your character to a lower population realm as one of the many randomly-selected characters to be evacuated off of your overpopulated realm.”

There is no going back from server populations.

7 Likes

That’s not really true. 1.7.0 is when flasks were changed to persist through death. This is also when black lotus were changed so they were no longer BOP. This was about half way through vanilla wow’s life cycle and before AQ40. Every serious guild I knew of used flasks religiously, especially after they were changed to persist through death and they never costed more than 50-70g.

1 Like

Why do you think that’s how they would handle it? Hahaha.

They’d just lower the caps and offer free transfers from realms with queues to realms with lower populations.

Something false doesn’t become true because many people say it.

That is false. Today’s server population RANGE (a range 8 to 1 between hi and low pop) overlaps Vanilla’s server population range. My server has fewer players than many Vanilla servers had. It does not have a “giant server population”.

Blizzard set the server CAPS higher in Classic, knowing that at the beginning there would be many more players (there was) but that number would rapidly dwindle (it did, on most servers).

If you are ignoring the huge difference between realm populations in August and realm pops in February, you have no argument.

2 Likes

On my low pop server recently someone has camped lvl 1 ghosts on every black lotus spawn in Silithus and BS. It would be nice if the playing field was level instead of fighting a farmer/botter that spends all day using 11 accounts to get lotus just to transfer if off server.

1 Like

It appears that the low populated servers are suffering from bots. I wonder if we can rule out overpopulation.

You leave my 11 Chinese ghost herbers alone.

4 Likes

You are full of it! servers are overpopulated! Maybe on your pvp realms, but my pve realms are strong and still have huge population.

:joy:

No, you can’t. Over and under population makes AH prices fluctuate between servers. Wow gold has real life value add paid server transfers and there is money to be made.

Just a reminder that in vanilla flasking got you laughed at and made fun of

1 Like