Big Lie: There is No Ripcord

So with Ion’s latest statement it’s pretty obvious what happened. The entire #PullTheRipcord cannot work, not because of Blizzard’s renown stubbornness alone, but because there was never any ‘ripcord’ in the first place. Blizzard says it has ‘heard’ the complaints, the points, whatever you want to call the response to the entire covenant system. I don’t know how much clear this has to be, Shadowlands is shaping up to be an absolute mess. Azerite Armor shipped off after Blizz ignored the entirety of the feedback they got on it, and we’re looking at AA 2.0 (with its own convenient ‘AP’ included!).

We’re stuck with choosing between throughput, something that doesn’t just effect the top 1% like people keep parroting. Keeping things simple and not tying player power to absolutely every aspect of the game is not a bad thing, but Blizzard is stuck so far up their own Maw in their pseud game design philosophy that they completely ignore reality and the pragmatic solutions available. Blizz is not prepared for Shadowlands to drop, the entire expac right now looks like it’s a vague mismash of systems that all balance upon this irritating and divisive system that is covenant.

Look and see, people, nothing that has already gotten this much friction ever launches smoothly. It never lasts. And people singing about how “Blizzard didn’t cave!” misunderstand Blizzard sticking to their guns with Blizzard trying to buy more time so they can fix their mistakes around patch 9.2/9.3. Look at Legion, it had a massive amount of changes with the same timeline, BFA speaks for itself, and Shadowlands is continuing this trend.

Where is the line drawn? How is it the “community’s fault”? Players having a preference is natural, the meta thriving is just a part of modern gaming and you cannot and will not change that with a single expansion and a convoluted and frustrating system. It doesn’t make any sense. When will you get your head on straight, Blizz? People aren’t going to change to fit your system, they’re just going to leave, and you’ll be left hoping to God that people don’t label SLands as BFA 2.0.

Moderator: Edited thread title to remove callout. Callouts in thread titles like developer names, or the words “Blizz,” “Blizzard,” or “Blue,” are a violation of the forum rules.

73 Likes

I think that the current design would work in a game without rated PvP, M+, and multiple (or challenging) raid difficulties. But WoW is not that game.

They need to decide if WoW is an eSport or not.

49 Likes

I’m not sold either way on this.
He said it a while ago.
Its completely possible it existed at one point but their design for covenants evolved to a place where it could not be done any more.

9 Likes

Right, there seems to be this assumption that players stick into one piece of content and they are completely fine with being just handicapped at the start for anything else. It doesn’t make sense from an actual player perspective. Which is why I say that Blizz is really tied into some philosophical waxing and not the business of fun gameplay.

8 Likes

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/18/ba/9f/18ba9fa5659f85c4462607397ad8c99a.gif

4 Likes

Post a screenshot of your time played. I guarantee you got your moneys worth from this expansion as well when SL launches. Stop looking for something to be mad about and experience it first. Then, only then you can be upset a video game isn’t fulfilling your sad life.

11 Likes

Unrelated to the current topic: How are you not purple?

4 Likes

Their stubbornness has nothing to do with renown.

They want to put the playerbase through this. I think they’re thinking it’s part of a clever social engineering plan that will convert us into something we are not, which will make us think we are having fun doing things that are objectively not fun.

3 Likes

Players have the ripcord. Just gotta cancel that sub to pull it.

26 Likes
1 Like

I have 5 accounts. The 2 that have subscriptions are now on a monthly sub. I haven’t bought shadowlands and I don’t expect to. I can pull the plug pretty quickly if there’s nothing to do for me and hardly anybody in shadowlands is having fun.

4 Likes

Really cool response there, pal, I like the attempt to personally attack me because I don’t think being lied to about a huge point of contention is good for a playerbase. I also don’t see how you think 3 days of time played, maybe 4.5 if you count how long it took me to get to 120 is “getting my money’s worth”. BFA actively drove me away after the start of 8.1 because my class wasn’t fun, azerite armor wasn’t fun, and once again it took until 9.3 to even halfway fix this permanent beta. (Even then, with the monkey’s paw that is corruptions.)

https:/ /i.imgur.com/UnUYCJL . png

15 Likes

They decided that long ago when they defunded prizes massively compared to other games.

1 Like

Anyone who thinks that Blizzard would pull a total redesign of an expansion’s core features before it even launches is crazy.

I have no reason to think they don’t have backup plans, but think a little rationally about it.

3 Likes

Nobody has lied to you. You are mad at an invisible boogeyman. This is a video game that is ever changing. Get gud or quit. There are plenty of other games out there that can babysit you.

6 Likes

Blizzard is going to do what they want to do. Deep in endgame, they will do as they always do and loosen restrictions.

1 Like

I can believe this, but if that’s the case it should have been addressed.

“We had a plan but Covenants evolved to where that plan no longer fits” or something. Just ignoring it makes it seem deceitful.

3 Likes

I’m not going to take “git gud” smack from the most baby’d class in the game. There is no invisible boogeyman to be mad at, it is a very real fact that the ‘ripcord’ isn’t there and Ion himself said it. And said video game might change to being less funded if Blizz has a BFA repeat, even if it’s just my $15.

But, if you’re just going to be a contentious you might as well just dip out of the thread because you aren’t adding anything to it.

11 Likes

Class design can save this mess from becoming as bad as BFA, but I’m not optimistic about the covenant system, especially the week long conduit lockout.

All I can do now is wait, and I totally get to say “I told you so” when the dust settles.

1 Like

or maybe, just maybe, Blizzard saw no reason to pull the ripcord and did the right thing.

lets not be cry babies about this now.

7 Likes