Big Blood Elf Customization Thread

Nope, the effect is permanent, long lasting and unescapable. That was the reason Kael et al HAD TO blown up the Sunwell after Arthas used it to resurrect Lich Kel´thuzad. and trhe reason why Aurora could taste it´s energies when it was once again back up and running regardless of her living exiled from Quel´thalas.

The way I see it, the Light didn´t replace the magical energy, it merely perfectly neutralized the Fel secondary effects and the elves ended up as a “blank”. I´m a chemical engineer, I understood it as a perfectly balanced chemical reaction.

Beware, boring science stuff ahead:

When you want to manufacture sodium chloride (commonly known as salt), you mix one specific acid and one specific alkaline component. If the amounts of acid and alkaline material are perfectly balanced, you will obtain the salt and water… if one of the components is in bigger quantities than the other, you get salt, water and the remanent of the excess substance.

Translating this theory to the Sunwell, we have that any excess on “Light” would had indeed inevitably transformed the eyes of every Belf and Helf to golden color. But this didn´t happen, making me theorize the amount of “Light” present was just high enough to counteract the Fel but NOT to replace it with an excess of Light. It is too a good explanation about why “devotion” is a factor to develop the eye color, after all Light as a "cosmical energy is… picky. Sometimes it heeds the call of the user and sometimes it ignores the call -we saw that in “Blood of the Highborne”. Priests and Paladins would be more devoted than your average mage, ergo they would be in contact with light energies with more frequency… and if their bodies lack a “Fel” corruption, well, i suppose then light will take it´s place inside their bodies, then?

I hope my theories didn´t made the explanation worse.

Which is why heterochromia additions to showcase green eyes turning into blue or golden would be another good addition that benefits BEs but arguably can be argued for all races. It just has extra meaning imo for BEs showing their green eyes fade away… or maybe a warlock gaining green eyes idk, or Allerian elves returning to Quel’thalas aka HEs returning but exposed to Fel energies just like BEs were and regaining their blue eyes or getting golden

1 Like

No it doesn’t, what you said before explained it well enough. To be completely honest, I wish the blood elves did a the fruit thing like the nightborne who ‘broke’ their addiction, essentially, because I sincerely and truly hate the sunwell lore, it is in fact the worst thing about blood elves in my personal opinion. Because it leads to fanatics screaming about how now we’re ‘lightforged’ yada yada yada.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. So if you add in more of a chemical (blood magic) it will turn the reaction to the more extreme end (Red eyes) or even more extreme (magical mutation, radiation from the blood magic use, anima, or undeath). Same with fel, if you’re constantly using fel, you’d still have those chemicals (sunwell) but keep the green eyes because you still use fel (green eyes) or go more extreme by adding a burst of fel through demon’s blood (felblood elf).

OH! I have a chart, darn it where’s my chart, I posted it a while ago… .gotta find it, darn it. It basically says lightforged elves aren’t a thing, there is no ritual for blood elves. Only draenei as of current in this timeline of Azeroth. (So AKA no extreme chemical turning point because there is no overdose of light that changes the biology of elves yet.)

1 Like

Exactly, very well said Lann!!

It is a gradual process… had it been a reaction hugely in favor of the Light cosmical energies, the devs would have updated Lor´s model with golden eye colors and Danuser himself would NOT had mentioned devotion whatsoever in his twitter. But he did, pointing to a “NOT HOLY or GTFO” Sunwell… the issue is more complex than “it has light inside, therefore it is holy and nothing else, case closed!!”.

As a lore fan you can´t imagine just how much worse it is… the fanatics trying to impose a theme on us is the least of our issues. Imaginer a story beat in which an enemy faction takes the Sunwell for ransom… that faction would literally own every male, woman and child to do so as they pleased. Cause the thalassian elves would had to obey or else they could get corrupted inevitably.

When one takes that bit into account, one understands why Rommath kicked out Umbric et al… the Belves already had destroyed the fount once to prevent corruption polluting their bodies, they can´t risk any other chances of that happening. The Sunwell is a commodity yes, but a HUGE hurdle and weakness too.

The TBC writers never took this into account with the narrative… the Legion ones did, ergo the NB finding an actual REAL cure, not getting their fix back for the lols.

If you notice, creatures absorbing huge amounts of any of the cosmical energies in WoW get some kind of mutation after effect. Regardless of the race. the thing that varies are the conditions indeed:

Fel and Arcane (as mirrors) are the “passively corrupting” ones… people just needs to live near them and depending on their cellular structure, they will gain dependence on them (kindly reminder the Helves and Belves ARE pretty much arcane addicts. And the NB became arcane addicts too after 10k years of living near an arcane artifact).

Light and Void are the “picky” ones… indeed a ritual is required to “gain” the blessing and the properties seen in both LF Draenei (corrupted by Light) and Velves (corrupted by Void)… even Alleria had to sustain her own version of a “ritual” if you think about it (“eating” increasingly stronger creatures associated with the void cosmical energies).

Nature and Death are the middle ground… the amount of corruption seems to be directly associated to some particular amount of energy exposure (a “thresold” as we call it in chemistry), some kind of limit that once crossed causes the mutations. Malfurion developed green eyes but only after 10k years of him playing druid in the Emeral Dream. Bleeding Hollow Orcs become Dire Orcs but only after getting infused with huge amounts of Blood magic. Undead got raised only after a particularly strong magical device linked to a powerful necromantic magic was put through their literal bodies (so strong it broke their souls like in Uther´s case).

1 Like

I actually copied it IRL from my Blood Elf character so I think mine might be a bit more “shameful” lol

If only a manbun was not so labor intensive to get to stay in place.

Those look really cool.

I’m not sure the designs themselves feel “Warcrafty” but the general idea and implementation is pretty much spot on for what I think Blood Elf tattoos in general would be.

The range of colors is also pretty awesome.

Pretty much my thoughts on the subject.

The Dark Ranger Tear/Makeup/Warpaint/Facepaint concept is basically adjacent to the “Farstrider Tattoo” but unique enough and stand outish enough to make everyone happy AND it woks with many other themes as well as feeling more “Horde” like.

I think it would make everyone happy.

This.

She has a Choker, a more decretive Armbands, and a circlet.

Why didn’t Blood Elves get ANY of these?

The way I see it, there are 3 types of people doing this.

People who want to troll Blood Elf players. People who don’t want darker/edgier themes on Blood Elves. Greedy people who want it just because.

Their “Reasoning” is just to reach one of these goals.

I do not agree with any of these.

Yes, please.

I agree with this.

I also agree with this. To an extent.

I think the jewelry NEEDS more Metal/Gem Colors and patterns not not be left as a half baked attempt that only one gender can use.

That’s how I see it. Currently. Before they change the lore again…

2 Likes

I made this chart a long time ago and can’t find it, it’s driving me nuts and I don’t think I have it saved on my computer either, ARGH!

EDIT:
WAIT I FOUND IT IN MY DISCORD OH MY GODS

Somehow scrolled up in the channel I save pictures and I did it ^^ I’m lucky :smiley:

There was a huge explanation on the thread I posted it on too… hmmm. I can find the date I posted it, but forgot the contents. 06/13/2021. Shoulda bookmarked :frowning:

EDIT 2: FOUND IT

4 Likes

Why can’t we have a tear drop necklace?

Well that answers that! lol

Blood Elves could do well with those, though I really like your henna idea.

I think your average helf pro is more or less content at this point. Some want some other minor things and none of them would refuse more of course.

I’m very happy that Nico and Drede are supporting Blood Elf threads and trying to be helpful. I very much appreciate it from them.

I would also hope to see more pros be supportive of Blood Elf requests if only to say they very much support Blood Elves being able to ask.

By no means do I want folk to feel compelled to post there but any ideas and the occasional bump is always appreciated!

I think it’ll be quiet in my thread for awhile though until more customizations come up again. I intend to continue to keep up the thread to ensure that Blizzard doesn’t forget the voidier request for them later down the line.

Perhaps after some other races get a run, given the times. :stuck_out_tongue:

That glow could have been better… I hope they continue to refine it.

A nice chart.

5 Likes

Just a couple days left to post not planning to renew my sub until BEs get an actual customization pass that doesn’t see them also having to continue to share adjacency to VEs who have already had 2.

But I’ll keep supporting :hugs:

3 Likes

Especially because Dark Rangers have red eyes and they are Thalassian Elves, albeit undead ones.

This. The Sunwell isn’t an excuse to deny red eyes or really any eye color.

8 Likes

Hehehe VERY good diagram, well done!!!

It is good material to show the whole “threshold” concept the lore implies exists regarding the mutagenic effects these cosmical energies have over the living races of WoW´s universe (lul, that sounded nerdy AF). As you correctly put it, there´s no evidence about “softcore” Light corruption caused by the Sunwell and the only cases related to actual corruption caused by that cosmical energy involve a ritual, something that basically involve the participation and almost the validation of the individuals by the Light itself (botyh this and void seem to involve some measure of cognitive active participation from the cosmical energies involved. No Shadow Priest becomes a “void” elf/human/draenei/dwarf/etc, no matter how many years they practice their art. No Paladin becomes “lightforged” no matter how many years he/she spends using the source. Heck, the Light answer the call of individuals already corrupted by other cosmical energies at random, that is NOT the behaviour of a passive source of corruption; if anything it is the opposite, the canon lore supports an approach involving ACTIVE participation from Light/Void for lasting corruption to manifest (remember Sir Zeliek the UNDEAD -as in, full of zombification juice- user of Holy light? I do remember him).

Tl;dr: while arcane and fel passively corrupt living beings that dwell near sources of those energies, light and void basically have to actively participate AND involve themselves cognitively wise in the corruption process (to put it in perspective, elves get corrupted by Fel… but Light has to corrupt the elves. Which means that in the first case, the elves are the ones at fault for “getting corrupted” and in the second case, the cosmical entity IS the one at fault of corrupting the living beings… perfectly matches the notion of having to “compromise” with representing members of these magical sources that cross to the material plane (no Naaru giving the blessing? No Lightforging, sorry. No Old God / Dark Naaru? No voidification either, sorry).

5 Likes

Thanks so much! Glad you like it! I made it a few months ago ^^ It highlights my points well I feel, and I’m glad you think so too. But yes, exactly! There’s that.

Yep, I do for sure >:D

4 Likes

You think that if “Light corrupted”, he would had gotten zombified? I doubt so, he would have just died AND afterwards become your average DK that uses shadow and necromancy stuff.

And before people brings LF Draenei DKs to the table… those died BEFORE getting raised. Ergo, when they died, the light abandoned their dead bodies… ergo it is kinda crappy because I´m afraid the Light kinda abandoned them in their peril times too.

This is the second reason I despise so much that Light customizations suggestion… as someone who read “Blood of the Highborne” like a fangirl, it broke my heart to read about the Light literally refusing to work in favor of the elves in their darkest time. Sorry not sorry, the Light forsook them and left them vulnerable to confront their miserable ends by themselves. Is not about the Belves not being “good enough” for the Light, is about the Light being the undeserving party in this case. Mu´ru did nothing but poorly apologize from my PoV, and in my headcanon that´s the reason it sustained the abuse (maybe some weird sense of guilt).

2 Likes

SAY THE TRUTH, YES! Everyone preaches that the light is some force of pure good or whatever, but it’s not. It’s another selfish petty power that wants control just like the void. It’s why the light is a tool, no more, no less. Everyone who thinks it’s any more is delusional.

1 Like

Or maybe they don´t torture themselves the way I do regarding the lore of this game… if only to “honor” the pact between the Light and the LF Draenei, the DK combo should had never been made possible for that race and in exchange something else should had been provided (idk… shamanism or druidism). Velves can justify it cause DK´s seem to use some void / shadow magical influence on their kit, LF Draenei are basically one of those WTF incoherent combos running around regarding DKs.

2 Likes

Oh it’s because the light is based on willpower, not faith:

Well, willpower and ‘faith’, but it’s all about believing you can do it.

2 Likes

That explanation kinda goes out of the window when we take into account the Belf novella (believe me, both Liadrin and Galell were VERY faithful and had lots of willpower while trying to save their people from the zombie invasion. Regardless, their attempts were in vain).

If anything, the “loss of faith” was caused precisely thanks to the failure of the magical source to work when they needed it. Liadrin literally says so in the novella when Kael´thas (the naive) saw her postulation as one of the volunteers for the sunwell mission (he remarked: good we can use another healer!!) and she answered with an epithet that raised Lor´themar´s eyebrows AND an exclamation about “what use had an unreliable source?”.

Why am I NOT surprised at watching Blizz obliterate their own canon lore? :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

I personally like the ‘willpower’ explanation more myself, I never liked ‘faith-based’ stuff and could kinda swallow ‘holy light’ a bit more if I could say my paladin has the willpower to protect her family & friends, and do good, as opposed to working for some higher being. I just… hate the higher being stuff altogether. The wild gods are different, and loa, since there’s a choice there, and it’s polytheistic. But the light feels monotheistic and I just…don’t like it ><

3 Likes

For me the turnoff aspect is more related to the actual vulnerability inherent in dealings with the Light… in some ways, it is both fickle and picky. Not reliable indeed but not because of the individual per se but because of the very nature of the cosmical source (to put it in perspective the Light only helps you until it decides it doesn´t want to help you anymore… and that´s it. Likewise, the void WILL claim your mind and by proxy, your body and essence, inevitably at some point in thye future, as a payment for the “gifts” received.

This I can´t relate with… seems like a badly disguised deal with the devil. Like a very famous character from a very famous LATAM soap opera used to say “el diablo es puerco!”.

!!!

Damnit…

Now I need a Death Knight LFD… cause reasons that this paragraph put in my head…

And why Mechagnomes and Gnomes should be able to study it and find ways to use it that are not the same as humans and dwarves.

(Also the undead…)

This. So much this.

Everything we see suggests its a willingness to use the Light combined with the Willpower to make use of it.

Faith is just a fancy word the religious groups associated with paladins use.

(EDIT: Also how does everyone like my new look? lol)

2 Likes