BG Ban wave. Blizzard needs to address this

I have sympathy for the hypothetical innocents that might have got snatched up in the ban wave. Having a ban that makes them miss wrath launch is a good move, for all of the ones that DID AFK/farm harpies from start to finish in AV.

Well at least we know you think gold buyers, botters and lazy players are the same person. Real great system.

Yeah that is kind of the problem. Most people think AFKing is a problem and probably should be punished. 30 days is just a ridiculous high amount of days for it. I won’t lie… if I am not unbanned before WotLK launch I am 100% out of here. No point in playing the game. No point in giving money to Blizzard anymore.

If they want to say I didn’t go with the “feels” of the team and 3 or 7 day me I would be mad but I would take it. But saying I am AFK defending a tower because other people are mad I didn’t just run to Van and afk up there with them is a totally different story for a 30 day miss the launch of the game situation.

2 Likes

Hey I’m with you even 2 weeks is reasonably sound but 30 FULL days is just madness.

Has anyone heard anything at all on any of the appeals? No one is saying anything about getting a response. Those that were unbanned didn’t even have their appeals looked at. Just randomly unbanned.

From what I hear its like a 5-7 day cycle and if you got into the appeal wagon later it might be worse. This is 100% just me going off of what I hear and not some sort of fact fyi.

I heard EU was worse… like 14 days? Again not stating a fact but a rumor I heard.

Also from what I saw on the CS forums today… yeah… its not going to be positive for a lot of people. You parse orange on damage or you miss WotLK seems to be the take.

They likely decided that some pattern was not ban worthy, and used that pattern as a way to unban people. I doubt any real appeals have been looked at yet, not in any volume.

IE: If you had a long string of “Sat at coordinates for X average minutes”, which they initially decided was AFKing, but changed their mind. They could have unbanned anyone with that pattern. But they may not have gone back and reversed people with “Sat in harpy cave for X average minutes”

All I can tell you is I appealed as soon as I saw I was banned around 1PM yesterday and my ticket is 24hrs old with no other action other than me creating it.

People also saying EU only got 7 day bans but NA got 30 day bans. Every blue post I’m seeing now is just telling people to basically get over it and wait for the appeals to go through. I put my appeal in 2 minutes after the ban went through but its starting to get pretty demoralizing hearing almost nothing from Blizzard, and what we are hearing is just confirming that the system isn’t designed for AV. I’d like to just actually hear something of capacity from someone or know that the appeals are actively being looked at but there is no evidence of either unfortunately.

Yeah. Again I am not trying to spit facts but the CS forums and such today seemed to be “feeling” about 5-7 days until you even get an answer.

Yeah that has been my general take.

If its really a bannable offense to defend a graveyard or tower then it needs to be stated. If I need to be running around in circles while I wait for the tower to burn please let me know. If I need to pull some rams up into the tower to do extra damage then fill me in.

Its the shadowy nature of not knowing combine with an insanely high amount of days which is highly concerning to me.

To top it off the in game systems never once flagged me. I didn’t get the idle debuff. I never got a deserter debuff. In general it felt like everything was going as planned. About a 50/50 win rate. Its really hard to see what went wrong here and how me deciding to hold towers from back caps ends up with a month long ban.

Yeah. I appreciate the empathy from some of the councilmembers but it really is just crushing that this is happening tbh. I waited 6 months for wrath prepatch just for this mistake to take place. Hell, at least tell me what I did in my 100+ AV games that merits being called “Non participating” Or is it really just a blanket set of parameters and automation that no one at all can explain and we are just forced to just deal with it because no one wants to put any information or communication out there for the hundreds if not thousands of people being smacked with this. Entire raid cores are being screwed over because of this and there is no answer that can be given other than “I have to wait X days to even tell you why I’m banned”

1 Like

Exactly. Then pushing in WotLK they will be punished further. You basically miss the first week. Which means all these people are screwed out of gaming there too. Guilds will probably get wrecked over it.

Its just a way way over reaction in punishment. No explanation. Just a blind shadowy ban wave.

I have no idea how many people they have worked appeals, but lets be generous and assume they have a 50 person team that handles that.

Lets assume they have normal 8 hour long work shifts.

Let’s assume they on average, take 10 minutes per “review” to really dig into things, and legitimately get to the bottom of what happened, and if it should be sustained or overturned (I think 15-20 is probably more accurate here, but I have no idea what their internal requirements are for the position).

Using that criteria, they can only process 2400 appeals per day for 10 minutes. And only about 1800 if their process time is 15 minutes. If their process is more involved, requiring multiple layers of ‘signing off’’ on the process, you might be looking at 30 minutes per appeal. In which case, they’re only going to be getting 900 a day done.

If all they were doing, was processing the 5-10k that probably got banned over AV. Probably be relatively speedy. But you need to remember the thousands of bots and gold buyers that will immediately appeal, even if they are guilty. Not surprised if their current time to process is pretty long

1 Like

Ticket wait times are insane. Because I was unbanned and able to log into the game I can see the wait time for my appeal and it is currently 7 days 9 hours.

I have 16 days on my ticket and it is getting more every hour

2 Likes

An interesting metric I have because today when I logged in it said I had no tickets so I got mad and put in a second. Refreshed, and the old one was back…

Roughly (within 30 mins or so) 24 hours apart had the numbers 15340 apart. So that’s probably a fair shake and how many tickets have been put in since then.

Assuming the numbers generate in order and don’t change as things get resolved/elevated/etc.

1 Like

Insane and unacceptable.

2 Likes

If it isn’t designed for AV by their own definitions then AV should either have it’s own special set of rules drafted or just be classified as a “for fun” BG since it’s 40v40 and mainly used as a gearing spot for pvpers and leveling for the lower players in the bracket.

EDIT: Allow normal afk reports that kick players out for inactivity though. I didn’t mean just let AV be a lawless wasteland with the “for fun” mention.

From what I have gathered, subjectively from my own point of view, is that is the case but a bot doesn’t understand that so they just go with the bot that says you are below x, y, and z and you get kicked from the game for 30 days as a result.

1 Like