Beta selection process

I am here to air a grievance/ask a question. What is the selection process with WoW Betas? Is it first come first serve? Is it random selection? Is it based solely on popularity or “streamer” status?
I ask because, I’ve applied for just about every beta opt in since original TBC (however not shadowlands) and I’ve never been selected. Im sure many others feel the same. I guess the question is also – why do streamers get access EVERY single time and those who have played 10+ years (sometimes on and off) get no access?

1 Like

Question one are you a streamer and or youtuber? if no good luck

2 Likes

Kerpz you guessed it right… Not either. Have a life. haha

I’m not a streamer or youtuber - I have been invited to 3-4 betas over the last 15 years (not this one). Given wrath is a re-release it’s a much more limited beta than new content betas. Testing max level content already suggests this beta won’t go all that long. I imagine a lot more invites will go after next weeks iteration if they think it will help marketing - but besides testing the updated Naxx there probably isn’t a lot to do.

1 Like

Thanks for your response Oscar. It makes me ask the question again – What is their criteria? If random selection I can understand-- and perhaps you were extremely lucky. Seems far from random.

I’ve stayed subscribed since Vanilla which I think may be a factor - other than that just luck. One of the fan sites also had beta invite give aways (not for this) and I got one of those. If I did get an invite with a friend Id like to test the phasing in ice crown because I found it very buggy in the original wrath. The only other factor is making sure you have updated your account to indicate you are interested in a beta invite.

Let me indulge you for a moment…

After WoD beta, I have received beta invites for legion, HoTS, BFA, Classic, Shadowlands and Burning crusade classic… heres the catch… I’m not a content creator.

Being a content creator is not easy as you think…

1 Like

A handful of content creators getting access doesn’t affect you or your chances of getting into beta in any real way.

@Waju. Is not the question here. The question here is what is the selection process. Some people get work arounds? I’m just curious. Seems strange it isn’t random. Is it partly random and partly clout that gets them? Us normies just have to get access randomly one time? Im hoping blizzard will respond to this to clarify.

I seriously doubt they would ever answer this question, I got into original Beta for wrath and it has been the only invite I ever received. I too would like an invite hopefully soon, pretty bored with TBC atm. I imagine anyone posting on the wrath forums would probably like an invite.

I doubt they’ll say what the process is, but I can tell you that I’ve met people on the beta that didn’t have any special status that would have led to them being picked. Some even weren’t actively playing the current phase of TBC.

I can also tell you that most Community council members weren’t selected either.
All I know is that it’s a slow rollout.

i have been selected for the wrath beta, i’m not a streamer nor am i in any other way famous. Certainly streamers are getting in early, but it’s not just them, i suspect it’s just the case that there are ALOT of people who want access to the beta and there are not a large number of slots available.

Are you just dense when it comes to business? Of course streamers and content creators get immediate access. The rest is likely based on time played, forum discussion participation and…you guessed it…randomness

Confirmation Bias: “All the streams I see are streamers, and I never see anything from the people who aren’t streamers because they don’t stream, therefore all the people in the beta are streamers, because that’s the only people I see”.

There must be more than streamers in the beta, because otherwise the streamers won’t have enough unique content for their channels. Streamers want a bunch of non-streamers so they have a way to generate content that won’t appear on 4 other streamer’s sites.

The streamers are a small segment, that Blizzard definitely invites specifically so you can see the Beta and hype up the game. It also allows more eyeballs on the product to ensure that more bugs are seen and identified.

Streamers are not a bad thing, and before we had streamers, there were plenty of exactly the same threads saying “Why didn’t I get a beta invite?”

It’s just FOMO. Fear of Missing Out.

You won’t, and none of the progress on the Beta is retained. All knowledge is immediately shared amongst all the sites and everyone has the ‘best methods’ down pat. Just wait for the pre-patch then release, and we can all dive in at the same time.

IMO it has to do with your /played (how active you are) and account standing.

streamers and content creators just happen to fall into that category, so its easy to get the wrong impression .

Blizzard is a business; they’re going to choose someone that gives them free advertising that draws in more people than one person paying a 15$ sub each month. if you want to get a guaranteed invite then stream and get one.

I’ve gotten into probably 95% of the Betas/Alphas Blizzard has put out (nothing for this one yet sadly :frowning: Hit me up Blizz!! ) but my account is a day 1 account and I always sign-up usually within hours of sign-ups/opt-ins being open. I also have never been suspended and have trust level 3 or higher forum access (if you can see the Lounge channel you have that) usually awarded I believe by being active on the forums. Anyways I always thought it was a mix of these factors…but could also be pure luck! Hoping the next wave is the one!

I got in 2 days ago, I have no idea how or why

Ive only been involved with 2 betas in my life one being Legion and the other thankfully Wrath classic. Day time ive been focused on alts in TBC classic and in the evening ive been on the Wrath classic beta. I do think its like playing the lotto. I think if ur a streamer you definitely get a invite but other then that you should pray.

Hard to say.
I got guildies who’ve been playing since Vanilla/TBC and never got Beta invite despite sign ups. But on the other hand, another guildie been playing since Legion and got Beta for both BFA and Shadowlands.

I know it because it was discussed on our discord during SL beta.