Beta released, R.I.P Paladin

Oh we got feedback alright “we are finished with the design iteration phase and are moving onto addressing bugs and balance”

Thanks Blizz, maybe I’ll see you around in 11.0.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/dragonflight-class-design-progress/1346916

12 Likes

LMFAOOOO ive been waiting literally 2 months for a revamp for prot pally or at least something in general and we got a “We’re finished!! :)”

This expansion is going to flop hahahahaha

16 Likes

Good lord, this is terrible. Barring an overhaul, I’m guessing my Paladin will be collecting dust in Dragonflight.

I won’t assume that everyone here will actually avoid their Paladins, but I honestly believe that avoiding playing a Paladin is the only thing that will get through to our ‘developers’. They certainly aren’t listening to anything on our class forum. Super glad I didn’t pre-purchase.

8 Likes

Yeah man, I think the options are don’t play DF, or don’t play Paladin.

We need to show them this isn’t good enough, and the only way we can do that is with an extremely low paladin population rate.

5 Likes

So we end up with less mobility AND utility going into Dragonflight… yeah, consider me out.

Was fun while it lasted though! We’ll get 'em next time. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Avoiding my paladin means avoiding the game. And if I learned one thing about me over the years whenever I took a break from WoW: the longer the break lasts the harder it is for me to return. A two years break for DF will probably mean that I won’t come back at all.

2 Likes

I…probably will? Idk. Right now, protection is very fun imo and it looks like it’ll be even better in DF. I think they’re taking it in the right direction. Ret is dead again unless they’re damage is overtuned.

I usually just pick whatever class interests me the most at launch. That concerns my raiding. But if I decide I wanna push IO as far as I can, I’ll probably roll whatever is meta ONLY if alting is not a giant pita. This isn’t likely though if we look at the last few expansions.

Playing Ret in DF is just gonna feel bad. Almost everyone else is brings something desirable to raid. We still have nothing.

I think I’ll just go back to druid or something.

2 Likes

At this point theres really only 1 option. Why am i going to keep giving my money to a company that doesnt even have the GD decency to make even a single post about ret all cycle? Na, its not worth my money. They clearly dont care about their customers if they can ignore a groupnfor months.

11 Likes

Sooooo Uhhhh if you guys actually do listen to your Audience and actually read these post… we’re gonna need you to ALSO bring back Shockadins… their damage sucks right now… and i was assuming the new talent tree was going to allow us to make hybrid classes like old wow… yeah…im not feeling that at all

4 Likes

“Hmmm, it seems like some talents seem to be weak compared to some others…”
“Hey why don’t we just nerf those other talents?! Buffing the weak ones seems like a really bad idea for some reason I won’t elaborate!”
“Oh yeah man, great idea! It won’t affect talent synergy or reliance on RNG at all!”
Final Verdict HoW proc rate nerfed
Art of War proc rate nerfed
Ashes to Dust proc rate nerfed
Zeal nerfed and a forced choice between it and Fires of Justice

:disappointed:

5 Likes

OMG dude they just did an update for 10/11/22 and holy shock healing and damage sucks!! what are you guys doing right now?? this just killed my vibe on playing beta

3 Likes

Was DP and battle Rez really worth everything we lost that was in the talent trees (spellwarding for all pallies and LAOTL)?

4 Likes

DP will barely be used… SoV is still better in 95%+ of situations.
So it’s a no-count.

1 Like

My biggest concern with the iteration Blizzard came up for ret pallies in DF is the insane emphasis on Consecration.

NO ONE asked for this, Consecration will not be effective for PvP and it is an ability that was never meant for RET.

If Blizzard wants to put more emphasis on consecration, fine, but do it for PROT Paladins, it makes MUCH MORE SENSE.

5 Likes

No, not in any way shape or form. Battleres is nice but again it wont help ret get a spot in anything.

Plenty of others can bres while also bringing better group utility, survivability, and dps.

It also does nothing to change the fact that bringing a ret vs bringing a holy/prot actually hurts your group as you lose access to either spellwarding or AM, and if you had a prot/holy there isnt a snowballs chance in hel your going to bring a ret for dps, which realistically is ALL ret has in DF.

3 Likes

What would make sense is if they made Consecration a better ability. Make it follow us, make Consecrated Blade’s Consecration follow the enemy Blade of Justice hits, make us able to aim Consecration at a spot on the ground within 20 yards, anything. Seriously.

Even giving it a shorter cooldown on Retribution would be better than NOTHING. At least we could reposition it more readily then…

3 Likes

Consecration is just a boring ability in general, and unfortunately making it less boring also makes it’s flaws more apparent.

Moving Consecration is an easy solution but it overall doesn’t prevent it from being boring, and thematically it makes it a bit weird.

Random 2s thought that just popped into my head reading your post, but what if instead of simply moving with you, or simply dealing damage, it gave you a buff from standing in it that radiated a damage aura.

It keeps the whole sacred ground theme, alleviates some of the weakness of movement, and has room to play around with/adjust.
Make it give you a short duration buff that is refreshed whilst you are standing in Consecration, so if things are moved slightly out of it you can potentially step in for a second to refresh the buff and keep your AoE around the new location.

You could also add thematic things, such as the buff ramping in intensity the longer you are in the Consecration (the relentless pursuit of evil is a big thematic paladin theme to me, ramping furor as the unworthy continue to survive is one way of expressing that in game), Consecration size increasing as you are standing within it, interaction with the buff (maybe something like Holy Wrath that would expel a large burst of AoE consuming stacks), etc.

I feel Blizzard needs to step away from the orthodox to really “fix” Ret. The current design isn’t working for them, so they are pushing a new design which doesn’t work for the players.

The two designs of modern Ret are in conflict, one is a burst damage RNG monster, and the other a slow burn Consecration focused sustained damage dealer with high RNG for low output (with the obvious hinderance from a PB stationary AoE)

3 Likes

They could just make it a burning aura around us + even targetable on an enemy. Would solve consecration imo. Not to mention it doesn’t build holy power. I’m personally disappointed in the damage feel at least in the starting zone in the of beta. Even if damage is good, 9/10 ret gets hit with the nerf bat and then is left with nothing. Lack of utility/poopoo movement… that and proc talents that rarely proc (unlike juicy enhancement). I’m definitely focusing on my shaman more… again. I hate the state of ret and holy. Holy I personally feel suffers from ease of holy building. Judgement/consecration need to be builders imo. That or bring more aoe healing abilities back. And again, utility sucks for pally compared to what others bring…IMO.

2 Likes

They could, but it goes against the thematic of Consecration as an ability which is why it suffers in design, however it absolutely would be the easiest fix.

The whole theme of Consecration is making a section of ground sacred/holy which causes the unworthy to be pained by their proximity.
Making it an aura/moveable somewhat devalues that theme (and honestly we don’t have much theme left)

It does with the talent but it has been heavily nerfed.

Yep, that’s the big problem currently. Ret was doing good damage on the beta and so that is being stripped away with heavy nerfs.

I mean if you plan on playing DF at all Shaman at least looks like a fun class to do so with.
Their class tree is just chock full of different support/group utility options to customise your play with, and very few required talents that prevent you from making a loadout that appeals to you.

Right. Are we going to bring good utility or high damage? A lot of mobility or high survivability? Right now, we’re somewhere in between for both of those, and on top of that the spec looks much less engaging because of the proc reductions and damage shift into Consecration.