(BETA) Dragonflight Priest Talent Tree Feedback Thread

My bad, I meant two gcds for 4 targets and one more for each extra target. In 7 targets we would be casting Shadow Crash along with three Vampiric Touches.

shadow crash is smart applying, so if a target already has vt/pain it will not target that mob, so you can have 5 targets ticking by the time crash lands/ first vt is cast so there’s that at least.

1 Like

No.
1 ability to apply dots, that’s it. Why can lock just cast one cataclysm and apply his dot instantly to unlimited number of targets for aoe situations??

Make ours cap at 8 (since we apply 2 dots), with either dark void or shadow crash, and kill either of the spells we don’t pick. We got enough buttons already.

1 Like

A lot of you talking about Dark Ascension vs. Voidform seem to forget that Voidform gives you your full mastery benefit in addition to the extra 10% damage. So you’re looking at 10% + 45% (let’s go with 15% mastery) damage to ALL enemies regardless of what dots they have. Dark Ascension just gives you 25% on non-periodic spells.

Single Target DA > VF because you’re already going to have your 3 dots on the target so we get 25% + 45% (assuming 15% mastery).

AoE VF > DA

1 Like

Void Bolt also triggers apparitions which widens the gap for AOE.

2 Likes

Except vf is 20%+ 45% vs DA 10%+25% to hits + 30% Mastery (Shadowcrash now applies VT/Pain) oh and idol of nzoth procs are Hits apparently too.

MB/Spike/Death psychic link dmg difference is going to be the real decider once we can get ourselves some analytics.

1 Like

VF is only 10% additional damage since it removes Shadowform. Shadow Crash applying VT+Pain is nice, but small time aoe/cleave as opposed to larger aoe, also can’t get DP on all those targets.

im just breaking down the dmg by case, not differential

Shadow priest PTR Feedback as of 9/14/22
Damage profile changing?

• No burst AoE options anymore – void eruption seems weak comparatively to live
  • No burst single target anymore – see above
  • PTR adds great cleave/sustained AoE profile for spriests, fun and much more engaging (imo) than Searing Nightmare spam on live.
  • PTR adds moderate single target sustained profile – it plays very slow compared to live, and not nearly as fun as the 2- and 4-piece tier, and void eruption set plays on live.
  • Overall damage compared to live: probably depends on later tuning but feels low compared to live
    Requests:
  1. If we die while in shadowform – can we rez in shadowform by default?
  2. Shadow Crash – can this be a mob-targeted ability instead of ground targeting reticule?
  3. Would love to see the tier 2 piece and 4 piece bonuses added as talent options.
    AoE/cleave builds:
  4. (Mind Spike/psychic link version) - Misery/shadow crash/appartiions/mind spike/psychic link/void eruption – plethora of insanity but plays extremely hectic, with constant mind spike procs almost endlessly
  5. (Mind Flay: insanity/Monomania version) – Misery/shadow crash/appartions/psychic link/void eruption – much less hectic than mind spike version – damage is close to equivalent – plenty of insanity
  6. Lacking: Burst AoE: Where the heck does mind sear fit in? What niche? I personally think Mind Sear could be our Burst AoE/mass aoe option (currently lacking any option for this and we need one) – with current tuning on PTR Mind Sear is not competitive over the above cleave set ups unless there’s a ton of mobs stacked.

Idols: Currently none of the idols appear effective or useful
should we look at these as just flavor or texture for shadowpriest instead of actual capstone talents? Not attempting to be snarky, maybe further tuning or adjustment will help with this situation.

Damnation/Void Torrent – I’m not seeing much use for these at all currently.
Utility at top of shadowpriest tree – I’m still finding it very difficult to justify taking more than one of the utility options – it’s a choice between dispersion or silence – all the other options need to be skipped to complete the throughput options. Maybe this changes after we level up in dragonflight and have more points to spend?
Dark Void – doesn’t seem nearly as useful in most scenarios as Misery.

4 Likes

Strongly agree with Allyado on their comments about our AoE.

Definitely feeling the ‘no burst AoE’ in the current PTR build. It feels really bad and I hope this is just because of tuning. If we go live in DF with this we will be put back in the same predicament being a shadow priest in M+ dungeons when we our tanks pull big and us “waiting to do damage/unable to do on demand” because we have to get dots on everything to cleave, by that time the other dps already got the job done. Mind Sear does feel odd now. Now that SN is gone (the only ‘burst’ AoE we had) it’s definitely not hitting hard even with the alleged buff they gave it. Mind Sear is still giving wet noodle vibes per damage versus the chaos of the cleave with Psychic Link.

If only echoing void was more dependable
 as it is now, it is too random. It should at least fire off when a target dies in addition to the proc so we don’t waste those stacks. All of the idols need some TLC. C’Thun wasn’t even proccing for me at all (could be a bug I hope) and also 50 Apparitions for Yogg Saron
 enough said
 Reduce it to 30ish and buff the big guy. At least make it competitive for whatever scenario it’s suppose to be good for. As of now single or AoE , it ain’t happening. Great visual though, poor execution. Which seems to be the theme of all the idols. They look good, sound cool but they aren’t executing.

The cleave is nice, especially in spread target scenarios, but I don’t see it competing with on demand burst AoE in its current state as we have now on live with SN. I’m burning mobs way faster on live, but again this could be a numbers issue. This needs to be addressed but honestly we may be waiting till a patch lol by what blizzard just stated in that post. Someone said it before but all these identity crisis and blast to the pasts the lot of you wanted back are now bringing back old problems and causing issues going into DF. ‘This build-a-shadow priest’ we got is now sitting on old baggage in the form of new tricks.

Now I do like the idea of them wanting to make DA/VF have their distinct uses. I think this is great step moving forward. However, I think us losing a class developer hit harder than we realized (esp after asking for all these old talents back, seems like they literally said “Here are all the changes you wanted! Figure the rest out!” lol) and we may be out of time to get the pressing issues work on sadly.
Until then

transforms into Dracthyr “Ohh Alexstrasza! Where are you my queen?!”

2 Likes

Shadow Priest on PTR has lost all sense of dangerousness. All burst is gone, and all hectic moments or chaos in the rotation is gone. The surrender to Madnessy feel is all gone, not just the actual talent which is now gone too. Spriest plays slow and ponderous on the PTR. No excitement or danger.

Other comments:

• Would love to see Door of Shadows Mobility option (much prefer that to Feather)
  • It would be nice to see some utility that Shadow brings that makes M+ groups want to bring a Shadow Priest. Maybe a buffed Vampiric Embrace?
6 Likes

Can you flag a Blue post for trolling? I mean, seriously

8 Likes

The build right before this one was near perfect, imo.

If you have Unfurling Darkness available, Shadow Crash will trigger and cast it immediately making it useless in some situations for a talent that’s available right after SC.
Mind Sear still garbage
Dark Void still garbage
None of the capstone talents seem worth it atm
But at least I’ve been able to get an 80k Void Torrent

Also spamming Mind Spike is currently a better filler than casting Mind Flay

5 Likes

Nah, SFP still works, woopty do lol

God I hate playing around a pet as a priest

2 Likes

I think this can and should be intentional. I love the idea of using Mind Spike over MF as a filler, but using Orbs if you want to use both, or spec into Mind flay talents if you want to stick to flay. I think it provides a lot of options to play the spec you want.

The issue I have with the idea is more about layout. It’s hard to know which ones to take and which to avoid currently. It could be fleshed out better but I actually prefer Mind Spike filling over flay by FAR. It also makes us feel amazing at cleave.

1 Like

I could agree with this. In a world where we’re concerned about button bloat, I do find it weird that Shadow Fiend is still a default/staple part of the spec. Just remove it and keep Mind Bender if people really want to go back into it, and make sure it’s truly an option and not mandatory.

1 Like

I don’t mind having it replace MF if you want, but I’ve tried to make a mind flay build and every time, it’s just better to take mind spike and use that.

Get rid of both

1 Like

I mean, it wouldn’t break my heart. At this point I’m just hoping SOMEONE ends up happy with something we retained haha.

I am in no way a fan of any Shadow Fiend/SF-related mechanics we have had. But I’m sure someone is.

2 Likes

If they are looking up mindgames for the “bloat problem” I feel it should be put as a choice node with light’s wrath for disc (instead of just removing it) Since both spell are ST damaging spells but cover different niches for disc, it totally makes sense that they are mutually exclusive like that to prevent both being chosen at the same time. The nodes under both spell are even similar in the way they interract with either spells, as it increases damages or reduce cd/cast time :man_shrugging:

I don’t have decent suggestions for holy and shadow on that regard though, I feel mindgames is really a lot more useable in all types of contents for disc, while holy and shadow really just like it for the initial damage component (that they could gain elsewhere if things come to worse) It surely isn’t a bad choice for pvp for them, but I dunno how big of a loss it really is as it’s still still easily dispellable in the end

Still feels a bit bad that holy and shadow wouldn’t get any covenant options from SL though

Edit: Although it could be said that Shadow is kinda getting an unholy nova that works better with the toolkit with shadow crash now applying VT on impact. But maybe that is a bit far fetched

1 Like