(BETA) Dragonflight Priest Talent Tree Feedback Thread

Would you appreciate the option to talent into mind flay as a smite replacement on the class tree to lean into shadow covenant a bit more?

It would be simple enough to implement. Add flay to the right of shadowfiend and give it to shadow baseline. For symmetry add something to the left for holy and then give disc dispel magic or purify disease baseline.

Idk how people feel but honestly. I don’t really like void shield. Crystal reflection is ok.

I would just rather go the simple route of just making pws stronger baseline for all specs.

All changes and modifiers suggested don’t feel like it does much justice. Simple and sweet just make it good to use.

1 Like

The PoH and Renew sides of Holy aren’t really fully fleshed out yet imho. There’s still more powerful single target healing talents available and it’s entirely possible single target heal spamming may still be the go to raid healing method for Holy.

Flash Heal/Heal build:

• Trail of Light (free +35% healing to previous target)
  • Binding Heals (free +20% of Flash Heal/Heal is redirected towards you)
  • +15% increased crit chance to Heal/Flash Heal.
  • +15% increased healing to Heal based on mana level (not sure how it scales).
  • Flash Heal/Heal crits increase the healing of your next Holy Word by 10% (stacks 2 times).
  • Resonant Words → +30% increased healing to next Heal/Flash Heal.
  • Shadow Mend may somehow fit into Holys rotation as well.
  • Divine Word does nothing for Prayer of Healing.
  • Lightweaver is basically Flash Concentration 2.0.

PoH build:

• Either +15% increased Healing for 15s after casting Holy Word Serenity or 30% chance for a 6s Renew on targets (both are pretty much equal to each other in hps performance, but it’s rng).
  • -25% cast time + mana cost reduction to PoH for 8s after casting CoH.

And
 that’s it. Renew doesn’t scale off of mastery and PoH is still terribly unsupported by deep tree talents.

2 Likes

Not sure, Smite has a lot of synergies here and there on the holy side of things. So it doesn’t necessarily make sense to carry over the synergy if it replaces it.

I wouldn’t mind being able to have it, but replacing seems a bit anti-synergistic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you implying you want BOTH!!! The audacity!
I like it.

2 Likes

Big brain moment.
What if shadow covenant transformed smite into mind flay for its duration?

Could be interresting in the very least. At least we’d have something to do if everything else is on cd

Would it be strong enough to warrant extending the duration of covenant?

Hard to believe, it’s still a filler spell so damage isn’t all that high. Would have to see on live to be sure. That talent still competes with Twilight Corruption, it’s hard to think that you’d want to miss out on another way to make penance stronger for a few seconds of shadow cov

1 Like

That’s better explained than I could have done as I play holy less frequently :slight_smile:

Haven’t made a lot of research on this one. It feels a bit underwhelming still but I haven’t read/watched anything worth the mention on it so far. Have we seen anyone on the beta make use of it yet?

From what I heard is that you get 2 charges each time you cast Flash Heal and it’s only consumed each time you cast Heal.

1 Like

In your PoH build, you missed 30% increased healing on the most injured target it affects and smart healing through Prayerful Litany.

Flash Heal/Heal build might be very mana intensive due to 1 Heal per 2 Flash Heal, and there’s no longer any Night Fae to shore up overhealing crits or mastery into shielding. This will change playstyle as you’re no longer incentivized to heal the same target to a full 100% but move on if you’re spot healing.

Shadowmend has no cleave heal, however, and will likely not work into rotation except when interrupted or in PvP.

Renew build picks up several perks

• 8% more healing on targets with Renew
  • 10% more mana regen
  • minimum 8-50% boost to Circle of Healing with Healing Chorus
  • Free Prayer of Mending stacks and bounces
  • Free Power Infusions
  • Divine Word which can boost healing and crit chance of Renew, Flash Heal, or turn Holy Word: Sanctify into a healing zone
  • 2 different boosts to Renew, either more healing per tick, or an impact heal on application
  • Opens priest to scaling Haste due to the CD reduction to CoH and PoM and increasing tick rate of Renew
  • Can still pick up 15% crit to Flash Heal to make use of Surge of Light procs
  • Whatever Converted Followers will be

I’ll agree with you that PoH doesn’t really have much going for it as it only has conditional boosts dependent on other spell usage, but Renew looks pretty good.

Alternatively, you can drop Divine Word for the Renew Build and pick up Lightweaver as well while retaining those boosts.

On the subject of mana: if they don’t adjust the mana costs
 Holy and Disc are going to be oom super fast this coming expansion because we no longer have Fae Guardians for mana return as you noted. Between BFA and Shadowlands Holy had almost all of its spells base mana cost increased by 0.5% a cast. Shadowfiend will help, but its on a 3 minute cd. The ideal time to blow it would be early in the fight and when Heroism is out.

Renew has potential, but the biggest handicap is still going to be the lack of scaling off of Mastery. You’d have to stack Versatility, Haste, and Crit to get the most out of it. It also will only work well in RoT heavy encounters. I’ll definitely try it though.

The PoH build will only work on fights where there’s some AOE raid damage to heal. In-between your PoH casts you’ll probably still be spamming single target heals.

I’m just not seeing the #s though where PoH and Renew are going to outclass the current single target healing playstyle though.

1 Like

Yeah Mana restore options are looking a lot worse. They added that innervate with 25% reduced cast speed potion, but I’m unsure how well that’s going to hold up. I’ve been practicing with raiding as Kyrian to try to prepare, and it’s like you said you have to blow mana pots as soon as you hit 88% on longer fights. And nobody really seems to have noticed Surge of Light ate a 50% nerf, sitting at 4% instead of 8% to account for Disc and Shadow having access (edit: nevermind, just not properly updated on the beta build tree). If individual ticks of Vampiric Embrace can proc surge of light, there might be a possibility of running it.

As for Renew scaling and Mastery, it’s probably why they added that Prismatic Echoes talent. Just getting to 30% mastery will make the talent boost that to 40%, so you can focus on other stats. I’m still likely going to stick with verse over crit, but will definitely look into seeing how haste scales. Even now in Shadowlands, although not boosted with DF talents, PoM/CoH/Renew feel really good and almost spammable with enough Haste.

I don’t have much interest in PoH, but I do think it’s one of the few builds that might want HW: Life simply due to mana constraints and less available HW: Serenity. PoH can still use Renew as filler.

If single target healing hpriest cannot keep enough mana for long fights, it will either peel back to priority tank/soak healing or default to raid healing and another heal spec will step in for single target. Likely Paladins.

I still think the biggest loss is the 4pc set bonus for Holy Priests. Being able to choose to boost mending, renew, CoH, or flash with more healing still added more to the playstyle and efficiency.

I don’t know if this is actually true.

In raid Disc already goes OOM without innervates so it’s familiar territory for them. :stuck_out_tongue: Disc actually came out mana positive because they got mindbender + Solace now, versus one or the other along with mindgames.

Holy lost a chunk of mana return with the removal of bender and that mana return ripple talent - but you’ve got Shadowfiend now, at least, and that will make up like 20-30% mana per fight. I think if you guys take Mindgames, Enlightenment and have your Shadowfiend, you’re making back a decent chunk.

Say it’s a 5 minute fight. You cast Mindgames 6 times that fight, that’s 12% mana gained. Shadowfiend generally hits ~10-15 times, but we’re at lower haste, so let’s estimate 10 and that’s 10% more mana, then you’ve got enlightenment ticking. That’s not DIRE, and if the fight goes to 6 minutes, you’ve got 7 casts of mindgames (14%) and 2 casts of Sfiend (20%) so 34% mana back, etc.

It’s not Fae Guardians mana, but IDK it doesn’t seem that bad, especially with symbol of hope.

It would’ve been nice to see Mind Restrain go live for Dragonflight. That was a nice mitigating passive it seemed in Alpha. Kinda bummed about shadow mend CD.

1 Like

This is a post from Shoy on the EU forums about Shadow Priest, copying it here for visibility.

Overall

Short class tree notes:

• Shadowfiend 3 mins is silly
  • Vampiric Embrace deserves to be off the GCD
  • Mindgames offering a damage nuke in class tree is weird
  • Body and Soul + Feather seems excessively powerful (even though I like it). Door of shadows where?

Short spec tree notes:

• Great changes with interesting ideas sprinkled all over the place
  • Taking ‘greatest hits’ from previous expansions and mashing them together, creates some contradictions that need to be ironed out
  • Capstones are weaker than mid-talents and they do not create ‘defining’ choices that hint pathing through the tree
  • Far too many 2pointers before capstones
  • Silence, Horror, Dispersion and Tithe Evasion do not belong to the spec tree
  • Hallucinations deserves to be baseline
  • Piercing Shadows? LOL
  • Shadow crash working with Misery is a welcome bug

Slightly longer ideas

Choice nodes

Often times instead of picking between two different goals, in my head it would feel better to choose between two different ways to achieve a similar goal.

A nice example is in the Single/Multi target goal choice of Shadow Crash vs. Void Torrent.

Consider the following choice draft:

• Shadow Crash offers an immediate DoT multi application
  • vs. a continuous DoT spread (e.g. spend 15 insanity to spread Vampiric Touch to an extra target)

Mindgames

Being a ‘capstone’ ability in the class tree, it feels off for Mindgames to offer damage. This offers itself as a utility-only ability due to its position in the tree and 0 spec interactions.

Consider this draft:
Mindgames enhances Mind Blast and adds a ‘mini Mindgames’ effect to each cast, similar to what Condemn did for Execute. Yummy.

Mind Spike

Mind Spike DoT removal is a by-gone mechanic that seems to contradict what the rest of the tree is trying to empower.

Random thought:
Instead of the negativity of DoT removal, introduce a situational benefit. Make Mind Spike remove a few secs of DoTs and deal the damage instantly (similar to Painbreaker). Surge procs could ofc negate DoT removal.

This would flow nicely with day-to-day grinding and leveling routines.

Second random thought, so that it makes sense in cooldowns:
During Dark Ascension and Voidform, the dot consummation could be reversed and instead extend DoTs.

Cooldowns disparity

Dark Ascension

There are similar issues with Dark Ascension, which is a strict downgrade to current Voidform. I really do not get where all the hype on forums and discord is coming from :frowning_face: :

• Does not build upon most of the other effects that are tied to our DoTs
    • DoTs on all targets are extinguished or in danger of falling off because of no extension (the only extension comes from Mind Flay, which we don’t want to cast and Shadow Crash)
  • Provides up to flat 20% dmg increase, which in reality is way less due to us having a good portion of our damage come from periodic effects
  • Requires a weird build up via Mind Flay
  • How exactly does all this help with AoE?

This cooldown is strictly contradictory and my mind just cannot comprehend its motivations. If you guys want this, then go play a gosh darned frost mage.

Voidform

Compared to Dark Ascension, Voidform creates a plethora of positive interactions:

• Instants for improved movement
  • Prevents DoTs expiration on the targets, allowing for full benefit of all interactions with our DoTs
  • 10% flat dmg increase (+ extra from Mastery, Hungering Void and Ancient Madness)
  • Increased Insanity generation (Voidbolt + Mind Blast charge), further feeding into instant casts and spender interactions (extra ghosts, extra healing etc.)
  • Voidform duration extension
  • Feedback loop with increases to haste (PI) and crit

Voidform removal

The current notion is to remove Voidform. I scoured many forums and discord posts for reasons.

Why?

1. Because people want a ramping effect, most often tied to Insanity drain and cannot get one?
  • Insanity drain is impossible to balance and has a plethora of problems. We’ve been there

1. Because it is too strong and we feel weak outside of it?
  • This is easy to fix and will be less of an issue with borrowed power uber stacking gone:
    • Mindbender + conduits
    • Shadowflame Prism
    • Unholy Nova or Fae Guardians + soulbind stats and Leggo
    • Tier 2pc
  1. Because of the transformative effect of the ability, which culminates with a claustrophobic feeling and Insanity overflow?
  • The frantic feeling is frankly what it’s always been and what makes it unique. There are of course alterations that could further improve this (I wrote a few below).
  • In my modest estimation, Insanity overflow will be a non-issue with borrowed power gone. More on this later.

Upon removal, what are the alternatives? Unless you come up with a worthy replacement of this core gameplay part, all I see are strict downgrades.

Voidform changes

All in all, Voidform is not without its quirks. My personal list of improvements:

• Voidbolt 6 sec CD, increase in power and has some effect in AoE
  • Somehow remove the contradiction of Mind Spike removing DoTs during CDs
  • Increase power outside of Voidform
    • Remove Hungering Void flat damage buff (and merge Voidform extension effect into baseline Voidform)
    • Remove Ancient Madness (or make it into ramping-up buff)
    • Change Mastery, so that it does not need to be ‘enabled’ by Voidform
    • Remove Shadowfiend and Mindbender (Prism can easily work without these)
  • Mind Blast 2 charges by default and the same 2 charges during CDs
  • Increase max Insanity to 120 (might need alterations to Lunacy)

Insanity

Every time I see a Shadow player look at the new talents, they view anything that generates extra Insanity (or makes you spend less) as not worth even thinking about. There is a huge stigma associated with Insanity abundance and later overflow since mid Castle Nathria.

History

From what I remember:

1. Until having started to use Fae Guardians + Prism, Voidform felt good with ~30% base haste
  2. Fae Guardians + Prism changed this to be an interesting brain teaser that could still be optimized, so that you rarely lost any Insanity
  3. Prism + Tier 2/4pc threw this out of the window, having had to do uneasy decisions about what to drop (even though I love 2pc interaction)

Insanity overflow

Fellow Shadow Priests, please note that leaving Shadowlands, we lose many effects, that I see as the culprit:

• Fae Guardians + Dreamweaver haste
  • Mindbender with uber attack speed conduits (duration extension conditionally stays)
  • Tier 2pc
  • Voidbolt short CD

This barebones state will in my humble guesstimate result in Insanity drought (talking 30% haste) unless remedied by talents like Lunacy. (No beta access, cannot feel for myself)

Weak Insanity Spenders

Where I agree with the community is that spenders feel weak

• Devouring Plague was repeatedly nerfed (for reasons like us having generated increasingly more Insanity)
  • Also as I previously expressed, I believe large part of this is due to ‘muddied’ damage sources due to added clutter that diminish the weight of the ‘core’ spells (like extra pets)
5 Likes

yeah youre right body and soul should no longer be a talent for us with the current design of pws or it should be xfered onto renew. i thought it would be cool if we used holy spells to apply atonement and use shadow spells to deal a majority of damage.

i mean yes and no currently Disc applies atonement through PW:S, renew, flash heal, thats a good portion of holy skills already im not saying “make every holy skill an atonement applicator” just a few radiance is pretty close to CoH on how it works.

just make smite and pen into something shadow themed its basically done. LW being a capstone should count as both holy and shadow damage. and thats a pretty solid spec fantasy.

1 Like

you can disagree but you’re still incorrect, its been close to 4 expansions since disc changed from a barrier healer to its current iteration. sure they brought back spirit shell this expansion and promptly killed it after S1 but to say its class fantasy is mitigation is completely incorrect