Best/Easiest DPS (PVE)

I play fire mage and this expansion is just painful. Even with a pretty decent handle on my rotation, fluency with dungeon/raid mechanics, and good gear, I do middling DPS. And often it will just depend on the tank’s pull style/pace. I see other people doing twice my DPS with gear that’s only a little bit higher in ilvl.

I’m either going to take a break from WoW or try out a different DPS class. What are the easiest high-DPS classes to learn? The ones with a decent ceiling but also relatively easy to reach that ceiling?

For example, I’ve heard rogue is not an easy DPS class, even though it’s one of the better ones. But of the better ones, which is easiest to play, in terms of its rotation and lack of dependence on external factors (like tank pull style)?

Thanks.

Windwalker is pretty easy. DHs rotation is easy, but the movement inherent to it can get you killed. Fury is super easy but with prot warr as meta they can be hard to get groups.

Ret is easy and I’ve played with several that are very strong in M+ With aoe, but they have to compete with other strong melee specs

1 Like

You’re already a mage so unless you want to relevel, could you try frost? Frost has a few decent talent builds which aren’t too complicated.

1 Like

I think demo lock is pretty easy and locks in general are pretty sturdy, so you don’t just flop over like a hunter. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Fury warrior is unga bunga just press the glowing

4 Likes

very high ceiling though tbh. I seldom see a hdh actually make proper use of momentum and initiative fully.

3 Likes

Really depends on whether the OP wants to babysit their Enrage though.

I had also thought monk dps had a high ceiling. My intuition had been that for the combo I’m looking for – high and easy DPS – hunter was maybe the way to go?

Beast Mastery and Havoc with an honorable mention to Fury.

1 Like

BM hunters will always be the easiest class in the game imo. idk what their numbers are like right now though.

I find I can do good DPS with least effort when I’m on my MM Hunter.

Can’t speak for the other specs, but it’s the easiest for me for sure.

Be careful with rolling a hunter. While the rotation isn’t exactly rocket science, they seem to require more attention to their safety. I’ve watched more hunters face plant than any other class.

They’re delicate, yeah, but BM is very mobile.

Easiest by a long way is demonhunter , anyone who says demon Hunter is not the easiest class ever conceived is lying to themselves.

Avoid any dps that gets a large proportion of their damage with dots. The base UI doesn’t track those well and you’ll lose a huge amount of damage trying to track their use. Avoid any dps that depends on standing still with long cast times. There are always swirlies to get out of. Whether with dots or long cast times you also have the problem that in nearly all non-very-high-mythic group content everything is going to die too fast for your dots or casts to fully take effect. Stick to any dps that focuses on instant burst attacks and you’ll be fine. There are plenty of good specific suggestions in the other comments.

Switch to arcane. Just had a group where a mage solod the whole dungeon doing like 110k average. All i did was try to hold aggro

BM hunter is the easiest DPS (with frenzy and BC tracking).

MM hunter is also not significantly harder than BM currently and hits a lot harder.

Can’t go wrong with hunter IMO.

I vote demo warlock but maybe I’m biased. Tank pet, soulburn healthstones, fears, dark pack defensive. Yadda yadda. I like summoning a zoo as well.

Switch to arcane and you’ll be top tier with a bit of practice.

If you really insist on not doing that though and just want to faceroll to victory, outlaw.

If you want to learn a complex but different class, lock.

Mage isn’t in the best state right now. I can’t really speak for pve but I get the situation you’re in.
I play a disc priest healer. I spend most time in PvP Rbgs. I can get my priest to keep up with most healers. Im no slouch I can grind up to 2k rating every now and then. But evokers came along this season and I might do 18mil healing during a game but an evoker will do 25mil.
So now I’m an evoker :joy:
Blizz thought power systems were making balancing classes and specs hard. But now we don’t Have power systems so not sure what their excuse is. Anyways my point is keep your mage on the back burner. My priest is. But I rolled an evoker. You might want to try warlock. Hunters seem to always be in a good spot. Demon hunters are notoriously easy to play. Or try something like a boomkin. Maybe look at some of the meta for your niche of play