Best way to make WW Monk dps viable

If we can reduce the touch of death CD to 1.5 min, that will be perfectly lining up with all the ess and trinkets. Any thoughts on this?

They’re already changing ToD in Shadowlands. Its absolutely not the best way to make WW viable, nor would it have a huge effect on the viability of the spec.

6 Likes

Seems like a bad change.

Its an overall positive change for the spec since the gale burst mechanic is being baked into Xuen.

5 Likes

theres plenty of other ways blizz could buff windwalker without just numbers tweaks.

things like giving the CDR reset mechanic from BOK to SCK as well. so say if you hit a target with SCK you reduce the CD of FOF by 0.3 seconds per target hit per cast ( and now that its got a 5 target cap iirc it will be set at -1.5 seconds per cast off of the CD of FOF ), meaning on sustained AOE we will be weaving TP-SCKs into getting more FOFs more often, because you wouldnt be getting that before. and it also means you wont use it on ST because your net gain is less than the 1 sec CDR from BOK.

if blizz wanted to really go whole hog on that, make it also count for your clones. because then you will be getting -3.5 seconds off of the CD of FOF, meaning during SEF we will be getting A LOT of FOF casts off. this would also open up the use of spiritual focus as an actual talent option because of the sheer volume of FOFs you could get off with more SEFs active more often.

they could also add a lot more haste scaling to FOFs channel time so that the damage is delivered quicker.

they could actually put meaningful damage into T15 so that they actually do some kind of damage.

they could fix all of our bugs and wonky interactions.

they could roll in glory of the dawn finally as blizz has just been re-serving the same thing to us since the end of WOD and still havnt baked it in baseline yet. just like WDP should be baseline by now, opening up the T100 talent line finally for actual iteration and development.

etcs etcs etcs. theres plenty they COULD do, but dont.

8 Likes

So you’re saying they could devote actual developer time to WW? But then who would fix the mana issues warlocks are having from stacking insane (and in the context of mana, game break) haste? It’s important that we keep the absurdity of top performing specs and give them room to grow into further absurdity. After all we put mana in for aesthetic reasons, not as a resource that should have to be managed.
Pretty sure that’s consistent policy right? No other specs tried to stack insane haste corruptions in 8.3 only to have the build nuked into oblivion?

In all seriousness though, great thoughts for improvement beyond just numbers. I think SEF clones adding CDR is especially cool and would make for a very fast paced and satisfying build as you watch SEF tick closer and closer using spiritual focus.

3 Likes

The upside to WW monks is you play the most fun DPS spec in game, IMO. It feels great outside the numbers. There is a nice flow between RSK, FOF, WDP, and building/spending chi with our mastery. ROP is a nice utility, AoE sweep, and can kick/incap casts, so it feels nice to play. Just wish they could figure out our scaling so the reward is there for the effort, but it’s very fun to play.

5 Likes

I just want them to fix haste and energy regen, and the ability to actually cast whirling dragon punch when both Fists and sun kick are on cooldown. That bug is crazy. Oh and let use cast spear hand during Fists without Interrupting it.

Buff Serenity Blizz

2 Likes

Okay guys, hear me out. What if instead of THAT, we just buff rising sun kick to the point were its obnoxious in pvp?

I’m top dps now in my raids and as long as numbers stay the same or get improved slightly across the board I will remain top dps in raids.

Unfortunately the average Windwalker isn’t seeing what you’re seeing. Across all difficulties, Windwalker is the worst DPS spec that doesn’t have another, better, spec option.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/malganis/jezok#

I mean looking at some of those logs I seen plenty beating you.

As well your dps is pretty low for someone with a 471 ilvl, didn’t really look at your setup or anything.

I was having to pull 99parses just to stay in the top 5 in my raids, while my dps partners were doing 50-70 parses and keeping up.

So no WW is pretty low overall, especially since our ppm is so bad compared to everyone else.
Which I hope is addressed because part of that problem is we don’t white swing nearly enough and there are a lot of enchants that require white swings to proc.

I thought all dps specs were above us now, haven’t checked in a while.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting that and proving my point that WW monks can be top 2 dps with the right gear/setup.

That’s not proving your point. If I have to bust out near perfect performance to barely beat people playing subpar, that means if they were playing just a bit better they would be beating me out.

2 Likes

Its not the right gear setup thats doing it, its the right competition.

4 Likes

I think Fists of Fury channel time should be reduced. That would help a lot overall

2 Likes

I honesty don’t mind the FOF channel time. Kind of a nice break.

AoE is a bit wonky. Doesn’t fee great to tab target everything to ramp it up. I have no issues mechanically with single target though.

1 Like

I just started playing my monk after having not played it since the end of MoP and…yeah the best way to make it better would be to go back to MoP’s design. Drop Combo Strikes as a thing and give back Tigereye Brew. Make Spinning Crane Kick free, or even a Chi generator should you hit multiple targets, and reduce the energy cost of Jab down to 40. I can kinda get used to it’s design as it is now but WW monk was a huge amount of fun back in the day.

Kinda always beat this to death and never see much change in the end. WW Monk scaling is abysmal and it gets worse the longer an expac goes on. Some QoL changes to certain skills would help, but wouldn’t fix the bigger issues.