Best way to make WW Monk dps viable

Ya I agree, Some kind of AoE attack on a 15-30 second cd that spreads the debuff and generates 2 chi would be pretty awesome. Even if it was just a talent. Hell, I’d take it even if it didn’t generate chi.

1 Like

Easiest thing to do is two talents. One to give rsk a guaranteed second kick and a second to make FOF a single target non channeled haymaker. Maybe RSK buffs the dmg too so more RSK equals more ST FOF. On the same row as the new RSK talent, another talent to give us a free SCK could beef up our AoE.

TOD as an execute and tune.

white swings still happen during our animations/FOF/SCK etcs.

spear hand striking doesnt cancel FOFs.

actually give stat scaling to xuen. including summoned xuens from things like fury of xuen.

turn SEF into all of the damage still coming from the monk and just make the clones cosmetic. this is basically the strikers clones from BDO. but then the inverse of this is why have SEF clones in the first place, when you can just make serenity the base spec CD and change it to whatever you want. i still dont know why windwalker got saddled with SEF and not brewmaster. it was chens signature ability afterall. just overall SEF either needs to be massively changed or removed or reworked BACK to MOP/WOD.

T15 either needs actual tuning or its got to go.

mark of the crane should just go away. and literally anything else done to SCK like my previous posts either that SCK is the " filler " with a CDR mechanic built into it for more FOFs during sustained aoe. or just baseline raise SCKs damage. or or or or. blizz can do better in this space.

strike of the windlord coming back would also be extremely welcome. as the longerish CD very heavy hitting cleave ability would be welcome. hell, even give it the CDR effect from BOKs too. make it a 1 min-45 sec CD and allow BOKs to reduce its CD.

WDP baseline so that they can rebuild the entire T100 talent row from scratch.

blizz just need to actually care about the spec instead of just throwing there hands in the air and go " well its not demo, lets just not touch it ".

3 Likes

It feels like its something of a severe scaling issue with stats something makes them gain power very poorly from gear as expansions go on. They always need a buff but then its cut back when they are buffed too far then they are cut back too far and suck again. Something about monk dps in general is so fickle and needs a recall or reinvisioning because it dosent seem to work well as is?

Scaling is the absolute most important thing that needs to be addressed with the spec imo.

The only thing I would change as far as how the spec goes is just make it flow a little faster. I dont think a monks combat pace should be slower than a fury warrior or frost DK(at least when geared). An unrelenting assault of chi infused punches and kicks is what I would assume most people would imagine with a fantasy based martial artist. The moments of energy starvation or just waiting for a certain attack to come off cooldown in order to avoid breaking combo strikes kills the fun/momentum.

Also either fix Whirling Dragon Punch or just get rid of it. The fact that the bug has been existing for this long is pathetic.

2 Likes

Idc what they do as long as we aren’t pigeon holed into SEF and only SEF, this entire expac we had ZERO options at the 90 and 100 talents other than HC and WDP. I miss having the option to use serenity among other talents instead of buggy clones and boring, unintuitive hit combo.

1 Like

Storm, Earth, and Fire should never have been a burst ability to begin with. Before the abysmal Legion rework, SEF was a PvE-oriented ability that allowed the player to send up to two clones to two different targets, and they mimic’d the player’s attacks with. Each clone reduced the player’s damage as a balancing act for sending them out, but it was essentially like having three avatars in one. That was a much better mechanical setup with Tigerseye Brew being the burst ability, along with the other basic abilities adding damage-increasing effects to our rotation.

Now, SEF is just a slightly pack-a-punched version of Spirit Wolves.

1 Like

Our DPS is already viable in M+ where there is plenty of AoE damage to take advantage of. It’s single target raid damage (or M+ boss damage) that we fall behind on. The issue is a lot of our ST abilities are also tied to our AoE damage, FoF being the biggest one.

An idea if they want to leave the cleave damage on FoF as is and only buff its ST damage is make a talent that makes one of our ST abilities like TP/BoK/RSK put a stacking debuff on 1 target at a time that increases FoF damage to them. Something like “BoK leaves ‘Broken Stance’ debuff on target, increasing the damage of FoF they take by 15% stacks up to 3 times. Changing targets resets the stacks.”

1 Like

um you would be wrong here my friend

I wouldn’t be “wrong” about anything here. I made a subjective judgment based on my extensive experience with the ability in different situations. It was extremely useful for multi-focusing raid boss adds and convenient for target cleanup. PvP wise, it was moderately useful for keeping targets in combat, but since the clones ran at normal speed, if the target los’d or speed-buffed, then the clone lost them. I found the ability to be far more proportionately useful in PvE than PvP. If someone else had a different experience, awesome.

I’m not a monk expert, I play monk as my favorite alt but there is of course a lot more veteran and brighter minds here than myself.

But I feel WW Biggest issue is that it does not have any unique support or special utility that it brings to the table. Unless their dps is over the top, there is no realistic reason to bring one. I don’t think any spec should only bring good dps to the table, everyone should have some unique thing they can bring.

Monk as a class has a lot of nice useful tools but WW should have something extra since DPS is the most contested spot.

1 Like

It was literally the reason I was able to 1v2 to 2200 in 2s for arena.

It copied the root from spinning fire blossom (allowing for your healer to catch up to a running enemy healer to land a cc), it allowed you to keep stealth players in combat, it allowed healers to not have the ability to drink, could spread mortal strike to everyone, and during MoP you could use it as a poor man’s shadow step because transcendence:transfer would switch with an active clone over the set location transcendence.

And let’s not forget splitting just once you did 70% of your base dmg, giving you a net permanent 140% normal dmg.

1 Like

My memory of MoP is fuzzy in this area but I don’t think I ran SFB. On monk I did raids and dueling. Though your post reinforces my initial point about SEF being astronomically more useful in its previous version. Me having used said previous version is in part why I cannot stand using it as a primary burst ability today. It just feels so stale and underwhelming compared to Tigerseye.

2 Likes

SFB was baseline ability removed in wod and reintroduced in legion as a pvp talent.

I mean never disagreed, but I only pointed out it’s applications for pvp was significantly greater than in pve.

1 Like

I meant “reinforces” in the sense that I was making a point the Windwalker overall was better before it got eviscerated in Legion. I wasn’t trying to argue a point against you or anything.

1 Like

All good, been arguing on another thread so let that frustration leak over a bit didn’t see the reinforces part honestly.

1 Like

Monks bring a 5% melee dps buff. What the heck are you talking about…?

I did say monk as a class brings a lot of utility? Including that.

I just meant that WW monk should bring something extra too that is exclusive to their spec since they are fighting for one of the most contested spots in a raid group, that being melee dps

Please tell me you are joking.

I wouldn’t call a 5% physical damage increase “utility”. It’s just more damage, and Windwalker is just… damage, now.

1 Like