Best professions for money making?

Everything is rock bottom cheap at the moment because everyone is leveling and everyone has gathering professions. Most profession mats are selling for barely above vendor price on the AH. Enchanting mats are basically worthless because nobody yet has any good enchanting recipes (and the demand for top end enchanting recipes is what drives demand for the entire profession, since hardly anybody bothers to enchant gear while leveling).

I have almost all of my profits by simply crafting things and vendoring, taking advantage of the ridiculously low prices of ores, stone, leather and cloth. Engineering is very good for this (explosives vendor really well).

There are a lot of profitable crafts out there right now - especially cooking. Roast Raptor, Curiously Tasty Omelet, Carrion Surprise are all vendoring for a profit on my server.

Alchemy has a low investment, high profit items (transmutes), and bulk items with consistent demand (pots and flasks). Easily the best money maker all-around.

Enchanting is probably second best, but it has a high investment level you may not make returns on, because the most in demand enchantments are rare drops from end game content. You can make decent, consistent work without those special twink enchants, you’ll always be needed, but the gold sink to level it is unattractive if you just want pure profit. Get a gathering prof instead.

The others are more ‘making money by saving you money’ because you now don’t need to buy the niche items they produce like legging kits, small bags, and the few decent gear pieces.

1 Like

I imagine the majority of ppl are leatherworkers and guess what I end up vendoring most of my crafted stuff because too many ppl in the market trying to sell stuff.

Might be different on your server but that is doubtful since a lot of websites were telling people to skin.

That’ll be true in a few months, but with the market being so saturated right now it’s like vendor price for about anything alch related.

Yeah, so far nothing is really worth any value on Whitemane. There are just too many people and far too much on the AH and since BG’s aren’t out there isn’t a huge investment in twinks which I found some pricey stuff to sell for. Things that are worth 25-100g are selling for 1-10g it’s really depressing.

Skinning is tanked for sure, but so are all gathering professions more or less.
We now have a server economy, so people need to stop being lazy and undercut blindly. Crafters are raking in the gold, while gatherers remain poor.

Just means you have more to vendor if nothing else, which isn’t negligible especially as you go up in level.

I’m at 36g at level 33. I keep away from the AH as much as possible (I have probably spent less than 5G in total), AH whatever greens/rares I can, and vendor the rest. With Mine/BS I’ve created a lot of garbage gear that vendors at a decent price and also a lot of the time people are selling them for barely above vendor price anyways.

You also have to be really picky with what new skills you pick up and not just buy everything.

Crafters are raking in gold ??? What crafters would that be because the leatherworkers on my server aren’t (except maybe for those ones making devilsaur gear) and the people farming that leather are charging 9g each.

There are plenty of leathworking patterns that can vendor for a profit if the price of leather is low enough. That’s how they are making a profit, but you won’t hear about it because they don’t need to advertise in trade to make that profit. E.G. Thick Leather is selling for around 5s each on my server, at that price you can just craft and vendor Nightscape Headbands and make 10 silver each time.

Personally I made 70g in a few hours just crafting level 35 engineering explosives and vendoring them.

1 Like

Thick leather isn’t selling for that price on my server - ppl have been begging on trade chat for it because there is nothing in the ah.

Best professions for money making : Find 4 other guildies and layer exploit dungeons. Welcome to 2019 WoW. Goodluck

I’m actually wondering if I would make more if I took the transfer to Arcanite Reaper. New server, fairly empty. Farming spots won’t be so congested.

That’s what I’m banking on… both my mage and priest are in the 30’s and both are 225 alchy/herb.

I agree.

This too. I haven’t spent a nickel on alchemy on either toon… just gathered my own herbs while leveling.

P.S.

The only item I’ve sold on AH so far is Elixir of Defense. It sells pretty well due to being quest related.

Biggest thing for me though is I’ve leveled the profession on both toons with nothing but a time investment. It will be profitable later.

Skinning is fine.

I’ll give you a tip here but it involves mob grinding to level.

Go to the shimmering flats. On the South wall of the crater is a basilisk farming spot. Kill them from level 33 to level 37. Skin when you have to wait for a respawn.

You will have competition for the farm, but it doesn’t matter. I’ve seen it support up to 8 people. You can make anywhere from 20k to 40k xp/hour.

I ended up having 140g at level 40, but I pretty much grinded to level and vendored everything.

1 Like

Herbs doing well on my server. If I were just concerned about gold, I would make an herbalist/skinner. The skins are just for extra vendor trash except maybe the hides at higher levels.

1 Like

That’s the point, you pick up skinning so you can grind for vendor cash. Honestly I picked up tailoring and enchanting and so far it has proven to be a bigger gold sink than gold maker and I probably won’t be seeing major paybacks for a while now. If you are on a fresh toon then picking up skinning will be your fastest way to make gold during the leveling stage. You can always respeck later when getting the matt’s for your professions aren’t as time consuming.

Looks like we found another one. :policeman:

Mining is always a good idea because both blacksmiths and engineers need it. I’ve seen a stack of coarse stone sell for 1 gold and heavy stones even more.

You will now get banned for this… There is a blue thread up.

Unless of course you’re a streamer literally streaming layer abuse in which case carry on.

1 Like

OR, Play a class that has a speed increase or free mount and don’t do professions.

I tried doing profession but found it to annoying and hard.