Benthiccc was good, execution was not

That would also be true without ever increasing numbers as well. What value do the bigger numbers provide? The provide some illusion of progression. That’s about it. You still hit for around the same percentage of health in an equal-challenge fight.

I’m “scared” of bigger numbers because they result in having to do squishes every other expansion. Every time they squish, people complain. If they had never squished, we’d all be running around with HP in the trillions, and hitting for billions of damage. The numbers start to be come hard to even read without applying some kind of “mega damage” BS.

I just think there is a much more elegant solution than what we have now.

Ignoring those things (although I actually liked them) - I just liked how they don’t deal with the 7.3/8.3 RNG layers.

I had a lot of pieces for the same slot for armor pieces that didn’t apply to any of my other characters.

I like that benthic gear lets you target a piece in a specific slot and the armor was selected depending on the character that used it.

Damage in PvE scales in order to create a progression system that lets everyone start back at boss 1 in the new raid, and work towards the end again.

If the damage requirement scaled less than they currently do, most CE raiders would already outgear and have enough DPS for 4-5 bosses into the new Mythic tier, which would be silly.

Damage scaling is based on raid progression. HP scaling is based off that, for PvP purposes so that you can live through the damage Mythic raiders put out.

Giving you actual progression in PvE content.

You’re looking at it through a very narrow lenses, when the problem is much larger.

Lol…

So to be clear, if I go rip the XTS symbol off my Caddy and put it on a Toyota, is the Toyota now a Cadillac?

Because AP resembles mainstat farming from D3.

No…

You’re like 0-4 here. I told you affixes and lots of affix choices. You’re comparing that to the talent system… again two things that don’t equate.

Explain how? Right now you hit for ~X% of a monster’s health, which is represented by a number like 27012 damage. At the end of the next raid tier you are still hitting for ~X% of a monsters health, but the number is now 45678. It’s just an illusion, you’re still hitting for the same amount.

That is exactly what I’m saying. The additional granularity isn’t useful. If it was, then why wouldn’t we want to be doing 2000000000000000000000000000000000000000 damage, because it “allows for more granularity”. Do you see the flaw in your argument?

There would still be “progression” in PvE content. You go to a new raid tier, wearing the previous raid tier gear, and it would feel just like it does today. You would be hit for the same % of your health, and you would hit for the same % of the bosses health, the numbers would just be smaller. Your dps would vary from ~80dps at the start of a raid tier to ~100dps by the end. Likewise, the damage taken per second would go from ~200 to ~150. So, as you “progress” through the content (get new gear) the raid would feel easier and you would be able to progressively beat more bosses. The challenge would feel the same as it does today, but the numbers would not endlessly increase.

If I’m missing your point, please explain the “larger problem”.

Not enough.

If you have today’s damage scale curve. If it’s lower, you wouldn’t.

That’s just a 20% increase, that’s not enough.

Your arguments are becoming more and more incoherent.

No, that’s what your argument is. You think that changing the seats of the car somehow turns it into a truck.

You keep ignoring what I’m talking about so you can make up your own arguments. What does mainstat farming have to do with Azerite traits? Not AP. Azerite traits.

Don’t be mad at me because you can’t explain yourself properly. Nor have you explained how these systems would somehow work differently from existing systems. Azerite traits? Barely balanced at the start and then completely ignored for the rest of the expansion. Same with talents.

At least the illusion makes older content easier to do.

I despise this type of argument. The game does not display numbers that way. It uses commas. And my argument doesn’t mean that we should automatically jump up to duodecillion damage just for more granularity. That’s some strawman nonsense you just propped up to make my argument look bad.

What would be enough?

You are calling me incoherent while saying if the name of an item doesn’t change it’s the same item…

Think… or don’t. I can’t be bothered to make you think.

Changing the seats. That’s cute. Remember when I told you that the affixes can be modified? It’s not the car seats bub. It’s the seats, the radio, the tires, the engine, the transmission, the suspension, the damn paint. It’s everything basically.

Except the name of course… Because in your world if the name doesn’t change it’s the same thing it was.

I didn’t ignore you. I answered you. Mainstat farming is working on the same affix for months and months. AP is a numerical increment that you work on for months and months. They are both the same uninteresting, numerical upgrade with nothing different.

That is NOT what I’m talking about. Talk about injecting a strawman. This has been like arguing with someone who creates strawhorses and beats on them for a dozen posts.

It’s hard to really take you seriously at this point. Gen forum contrarians are obvious. Really obvious and i’m pretty close to calling your effort a troll effort.

With a non-inflating system old content would still be easy to do. When I talk about removing inflation, I’m talking about removing progressive inflation. As you level/gear up you hit for more and more damage in equal-challenge content. Even if that inflation was removed so you always hit for ~100dmg against equal challenge content, it doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t be able to to hit for 100000 if you went to MC, for example.

I mean, I don’t think being able to farm old raid content is healthy for the game, so if I was designing the system I wouldn’t make it scale like that either, but it doesn’t mean it isn’t possible.

What we have now, percentage wise.

Careful - don’t feed the trolls. <3

Check out his other posts across the forums. You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

1 Like

An aside, I’ve been on here long enough to notice a pattern with certain people. People who just show up to argue for argument sake and don’t compromise their position at all. People who have no interest in genuine conversation. No hey, you were right I was wrong. No, maybe I misunderstood. Just the same horse drum all night long so long as you’ll entertain their charade.

I’m not sure if it’s loneliness or just a serious character defect but it happens a lot around here.

1 Like

Nah bruh, I just pointed out that you had a weak argument to begin with. I’m happy to accept that maybe 3 digits isn’t the right number. Maybe 4 digits really is more useful. Still easy enough to read, and ~.1% some top tier gamers might care about. But, 5 digits? I don’t see how you are going to convince me of that one.

There, commas, fixed it for you. Or did I? Are you going to count the zeros to make sure I didn’t remove any? I did remove some. To make a point. There is a limit to what is reasonable to expect people to read in game.

My argument is that there is little value in 4 digits over 3 digits. Literally 1/10th, in fact. And there is even less value in 5 digits over 3. 1/100th, in fact. My argument is to keep the numbers readable, meaningful, and valuable. Numerical inflation offers none of that.

If “big” numbers aren’t bad, then why did Blizzard decide to do stat squishes in the past?

Which is? 50%? 100%? 1000%? I honestly don’t know. Do you?

It’s just common among a lot of humans in general. WoW has a lot more than other games for some reason though.

2 Likes

True. Forums in particular are one such place that draws in the contrarians.

1 Like

That’s what it means to be the same item. If you don’t remove the item and replace it with something else, then you’re still using the same item.

Ever heard of the Ship of Theseus? It’s a fun little thought experiment about how much of an item you have to replace before it becomes something different.

You didn’t answer me at all. I asked you what mainstat farming had to do with AZERITE TRAITS. You still haven’t answered that question, you just keep dodging and weaving all over the place.

You’re the one who keeps saying that it will be different without really explanining how it will be different. And then you get mad and start shouting when you get questioned for specifics.

It’s cute watching you two insult me behind my back. I guess that proves that neither of you are here for constructive discussion.

1 Like