Benthiccc was good, execution was not

Right I get that. But I’m trying to go based off of what the OP was saying.

I’d like tier sets back personally.

I don’t think you get it. The item is transformational, by your mandate through the upgrade paths. Why is this worse than getting a brand new item?

Essences are hated because they cross forms of gameplay. NOT because they made the HoA more interesting.

What I am talking about is way more simple.

Having the benthiccc effects on EP raid drops and then having those effects have set bonuses.

If you did that for every raid tier, you could reduce ilv growth dramatically.

Not a popular opinion, but I see Azerite as basically configurable tier sets. Just wish they introduced new traits every patch, rather than the single time they did in 8.1.

And gimp anything outside of raiding. No thanks

1 Like

It would actually do the opposite.

That’s awful. Benthic is awful enough as is. It should have simply not worked in the raid, nor go higher than ilvl 400 (1 upgrade for 20 pearls).

I can say I’m actually a pretty big fan of benethic because it’s much easier to get a slot in than getting it on random gear.

I’d rather go for that, than hoping I get something with right stats and a slot from a boss/WQ/etc.

Same reason I crafted my pants and ring.

May not be a popular opinion, but I’m sure you can recall the excitement you got when you got your 2 piece bonus and the power upgrade it came with. And then the joy that came with acquiring the 4 piece and even more power

Because it’s the same item, not a new one. It’d be like having heirloom items for every slot. But at least heirlooms are only used while leveling.

Why are you talking about essences? I’m talking about the AP grind itself.

You’re just searching too hard for a problem to solve. Gear progression is fine. We just need fewer numerophobes.

At the level I play, you felt more relieved than happy that you finally had the gear you needed to be actually useful.

1 Like

It IS a new item though. If the base is completely modifying with different affixes it is a different item.

You haven’t explained why this is worse. I’m still waiting.

Well, essences are usually what people are talking about here. As for AP that’s nothing to do with what I’m talking about. AP is like mainstat farming. It’s incredibly unrewarding for the time put into it.

We’re talking about items that change completely by your mandate. That’s really different.

Does the name of the item change?

All you’re doing is shifting around where the upgrade happens with no real benefit over the current system. And the way you’d be upgrading items is from systems that people are already tired of dealing with.

Even if we’re talking about essences or stuff like the Netherlight Crucible from last expansion, that’s still more stuff that people hate.

1 Like

This is a new position. Explain why this matters.

What? So right now you’re limited to 16 possible upgrades. By moving the upgrade path to affixes, instead of gear you expand the upgrade options and paths considerably.

You’re still conflating two things to make a point that don’t go together.

Heavily modifiable affixes is a lot closer to MoP upgrades than HoA or even Legion Artifact. These are entirely different things.

I focus on HP because it is the source of all numerical inflation in the game. World PvP can never be balanced with the current model of HP inflation, without doing some nonsensical thing like scaling damage numbers in PvP. Nonsensical because the numbers then truly start to mean nothing if they change from fight to fight.

It’s not a new position. If the item name doesn’t change, then it’s not a new item.

Except not really. Look at how lazy Blizz is at balancing Azerite traits and you expect them to be able to handle an even more complicated system?

How else are you going to upgrade these affixes? Or are you saying that the affixes should be set and then never looked at again?

Damage is the source of all inflation. HP is just a byproduct of that. Also, there’s more to PVP than world PVP.

That’s absurd and par for the course on the gen forum.

As far as I’m concerned if it has entirely different affixes it is a new item. A Cadillac ceases to be a Cadillac when all the car parts are Chevy.

I think they made it that way on purpose. Because they didn’t consider the implications of mainstat farming which was heavily present in D3. Boring, unchanging gear that you work on for an entire expansion with no perceivable advantage is boring.

I’m not saying that either…

Consider for example raid gear. Raids change, right? Every tier is different. So your base item would have affixes you could say, are main stat. Then affixes for secondary stats. Then affixes that would be for the raid specifically, IF you wanted that. Maybe some general ones as well. Maybe some stuff that was like old tier gear. That kind of thing.

So as new content releases they can release new affixes tailored towards the content people are doing.

The reason we have the HP we have now is because they took out Resilience on gear so that technically, your PvE dps and PvP dps could be the same.

It’s just a number. It’s not really scary.

Damage and HP are the same thing. Damage needs to scale in proportion to HP for combat duration to remain the same. Fights don’t get longer as you progress through the game. Raid fight enrage timers are usually about the same from raid to raid. World combat always lasts about the same amount of time while leveling.

What I’m saying is that they should remove numerical inflation from both damage and health. So, for example, when fighting a normal-challenge (equal level) monster, you would hit for ~100dmg average. When you start on a new raid tier, you would maybe only hit for 70-80 dmg average. The number would mean something, because it would indicate just how much of a challenge the new content is, since you can see that you are hitting for less than you normally do. As you gear up in the raid, your damage would adjust back toward the 100 average that you normally see.

And, I think 100 is a good number to use, because it provides enough precision, but not too much precision. When you hit for 20000, the difference of hitting for 20001 doesn’t mean anything, because it is only .01%. When you hit for ~100 hitting for 101 is 1%, a number that people would actually start caring about. Everything after 3 digits is really just noise.

How is it absurd? You equip the item and then you never replace it.

As far as I’m concerned it’s still the same item until you replace the item itself with a different item.

What does mainstat farming have to do with Azerite traits? The fact of the matter is that Blizzard abandoned many Azerite traits fairly early on. They did some superficial balancing and then just gave up on it entirely.

So gear would be like talents? Another system that suffers from abandonment after the first couple months of the expansion.

Well, that sounds even more boring than anything else suggested so far in this thread.

But the equivalent to 101 wouldn’t be 20,001, it would be 20,200. Having a larger number allows for more granularity, not less. Because 100 can only ever increase in increments of 1%. You can’t have an upgrade that gives you a 2.8% increase.