Benched for choosing the wrong covenant

Hello all, this is just going to be pretty much for those that RP and raid or care about class and character identity as it doesn’t have much impact on those that don’t find these things important.

Like the title says I was benched for choosing a covenant that was not the best for my class. Now I play on an RP server but also do heroic raiding. After my guild fell apart I found another and we meshed wonderfully. It was stated over and over again that since we all RP as well as raid that we could choose whatever covenant we wanted as it was said at one point by Ian that our choice wouldn’t make that big of an impact on performance. Well, we all know that ended up changing.

Long story short I main an affliction Warlock and Kyian is the best covenant for her but it makes absolutely no sense to me when it comes to character identity. I highly doubt the Kyrian are going to welcome someone who consorts with demons with open arms so I chose Venthyr for her which imo is much more fitting and while it is low on the list for performance it’s not the worst choice.

My raid leader lost his ever loving mind once I dinged and was asked who I went with. I reminded him that it was stated that since we RP with our characters that we could choose any of them. This only ticked him off further stating that
" I didn’t think Heroic raiders would need their handheld and told to pick a covant that wouldn’t end up hindering our progress" and called me selfish along with some pretty sexiest comments about me caring more about looking pretty than actually contributing to our success. (there was more said but this is already getting too long.) I was told I would need to change covenant ASAP to Kyrian or I could warm the bench with the rest of the women. I did end up leaving the guild sadly as just too many things were said. While I have a super thick skin and have been playing 11yrs I’m not going to tolerate crap like that.

Now my questions are:
1.Is it really that big of a deal for heroic raiding?
2. Why on earth did Blizz make Kyrians best for affliction locks if class identity is important (they have said this repeatedly)
3. Since I’m unwilling to switch her to Kyrian would it be in my best interest to just lvl another class I don’t RP with and try and find someone with an open Heroic raiding spot?
4. Are there even guilds out there who don’t have a full roster atm? I would think this early into the game good raiding guilds are already going to have their teams set.

I’m just kind of sad and frustrated. I really did enjoy that guild and we all got along so good which is why it was such a shock to hear our raid leader go off like that.

42 Likes

Sounds like you have a Horrible Guild!

136 Likes

I would say get into another guild if yours is a progression guild and you don’t wanna go that full tilt

I know you said you liked it but your guild leader seems like a meanie poopoo head. There are guilds out there that won’t mind your covenant pick so go with them I’d say!

13 Likes

Sexiest huh. Is this ERP?

5 Likes

i mean RL’s got a point. if yall cant bother picking the optimal raiding covenant maybe you dont really want to raid.

why would RL put sweat and tears into trying to make a bunch of peeps push through when they wont even take basic raid-oriented decisions.

*at some point its like riding your bike with the brakes on… not everyone’s into that :wink:

8 Likes

Find a better guild.

13 Likes
  1. Kindly remind your raid leader that Heroic mode doesn’t require min/maxing. If all else fails, give ‘em the ol’ “You don’t pay my sub!” bit, followed by a /door slam and a /gquit. Make it dramatic – it’s an RP server, after all. Maybe do a hair flip…

2. I think the covenants are tied to the NPC’s character, rather than their skillset. To be more specific, it has to do with their attitude, actions, and role in the grand scheme of their life. If you summon demons, but use said demons to defeat bad dudes and protect good dudes, you’re alright in my book.

3. If you like your lock, stay on your lock. You’re not going to enjoy the game as much if you’re playing on a class that you’re not bonded with. This is even more important for RP servers and those that participate in RP.

4. There are a ton of guilds out there still recruiting. The beauty of flex raiding is that the roster isn’t full until it has 30 people. Keep searching – you’ll find your home soon enough.

The crux of my post: let your freak flag fly, my friend. Whether that means you’re #TeamCullen or #AngelsWithSkinConditions, do what fits your playstyle best. If your goal is Heroic-level, then nothing should hold you back.

27 Likes

I’m calling absolute horse hockey on this. screenshots or it didnt happen.

17 Likes

Heroic raiding being the guild’s end-all endgame is pretty casual.

It’s like benching your Mage because they like Arcane instead of Frost.

:roll_eyes:

10 Likes
  1. Nah, the raid is a little overtuned from what I hear but I doubt a single members covenant is really going to hurt that much, especially considering there could still be balancing after Heroic Week here.

1. I don’t think they made them the best on purpose, they just wanted every covenant to be a viable option. They kinda knew people would math out a lot of stuff so they added a lot of utility junk but in the end people will still figure whos the absolute best,

1. I’d just find another group to raid with, a lot aren’t so hardcore.

1. Right now it is pretty full for sure with a new expansion and all but there are always guilds looking for more people, even if you don’t want to transfer. If you want to stay in that guild for social reasons you could try a raiding community too or the bravest option of all just pugging straight out.
1 Like

If a heroic guild is benching based on covenant I would be happy you got kicked. They have no effing clue.

21 Likes

All the covenants are working on the same purpose overall and that’s to help others in the afterlife so it is hard for me to see any of them as the opposition of the other. I have Kyrian on my Venthyr Tea Party invite list. Sika had a great time and helped tidy up a bit.

What you see in your RP as your class identity is your choice, not blizzard. Also, Night Fae is just as strong as Kyrian for affliction.

People keep saying they are choosing a covenant based on “RP” when they are really just choosing based on overall theme. If you were choosing based on RP it would be the story. Just be honest and say you like the transmogs better.

1 Like

this is going to happen… it won’t go away as long as we are locked into a covenant…

1 Like

I’m just sad that my favourite covenant is the worst one for my spec. Night Fae is literally the ONLY choice Icy Veins is like “yeah this one is not good.”

I chose it anyway…cause I like it…but it really does make me wonder if Blizzard will ever take another look at covenants.

Although as a shaman with a history of being ignored for very long periods of time since vanilla, I have virtually zero expectations of re-tuning, even if Ion says they have “plans to look at them more in the future.” I haven’t seen him say it, but that’s often the phrase they use, which also means “yeah we talk about design on our team at times, but you’re probably out of luck.”

Anyways, I’m starting to get overly negative (or realistic?), so it’s time to take a break from GD.

1 Like

That guild is absolutely awful.

It would make more sense if you guys raided and your dps just wasn’t up to par but to berate you just for choosing the covenant that wasn’t BiS is absolutely insane.

4 Likes

my shaman friend (enhancement) went kyrian. he is blowing venythr shamans out of the water.

2 Likes

Your leader sounds like a huge tool tbh, yikes.
Did he even give you a chance to show the Dps you can give first?

3 Likes

The average player isn’t gonna be 100% optimal anyways. There will be a million other reasons that factor in to a boss not dying before the miniscule bonus from covenants.

3 Likes

I think this raid leader sounds slightly sexist tbh

2 Likes

Yep. For most (maybe all? I haven’t looked), it’s a couple of percentage points. The vast vast majority of us are losing quite a bit more than that by not playing as well as we could be/should be.

2 Likes