BC servers MUST have enforced faction balance

It is definitely interesting how Faerlina has panned out to be one of the most balanced PvP servers in the NA region.

By how it looked from a streamer’s PoV during P1 - P2.5 you’d think it was the end of the world for alliance players.

I’d definitely like to see Blizzard open up a set of realms that match the ratio of what we had in Vanilla more accurately for The Burning Crusade, and more actively enforce faction balance on PvP servers.

I also think there need to be more RPPVP servers than we currently have.

1 Like

I was wondering why that was too. Some regions only have PvP. It’s not like PvP gives people XP boost or even ranks till phase two.

I had fully expected an even number of both servers. However, most if not all Classic PvP on Ironforge pro suggest Horde heavy.

Again. I ask what respectable Ally group wants to be 5:1 in most situations? The obvious end result is imbalance. Might as well make all servers PvE and add a Nazjatar feature where a server tracks balance and when an optimal balance is met, the server switches on world PvP.

This player created problem has no perfect solution, but forcing people to play the minority is not an option. Locking servers means locking possibly locking based on created toons not currently playing toons.

If Blizzard can track balance, then they can toggle PvP mode. Call it a recognized risk in this dynamic server. Otherwise let’s all play PvE. The imbalance makes them PvE anyhow.

1 Like

I thought I’d give Alliance a try due to the reported imbalances and the fast Alliances queues. After losing 60 or so Alterac Valleys in a row on my Alliance character and getting stomped in pugs consistently in the other two BGs, he’s now gathering dust. My orc warlock just hit level 51. Community problem, design problem, or both, it sure isn’t much fun, and it sure doesn’t look like any solutions are coming considering it’s been this way for months.

1 Like

It’s even worse than 5:1 ratios, to be honest.

Even on something like a 70/30 split the open world ratios were close to 8:1 horde to alliance on Stalagg, part of that’s due to the honor system - part of it’s due to anything past about a 65/35 split causing the minority faction to retreat and raid log.

It is definitely an issue of PvE minded players staying on PvP servers - but it applies to both factions. The PvE minded players on the dominate faction simply do not start raid logging because they do not have to experience oppressive PvP.

The end result is the dominate faction gains a huge resource advantage and continues to whittle down the minority.

When Capital Raids start happening unchecked by the minority faction, it is a very good indicator that the server is in a serious stage of shifting towards a dead server - when the minority faction is so overwhelmed that they cannot even defend their safe zones…that’s not good.

I say announce specific PvP servers that will have faction specific queues beforehand moving into The Burning Crusade - and let the people who want to play the game for the spirit of PvP have a place to roll. Some of us are totally willing to abandon our toons or sit in queues waiting for others to log out if it means keeping open world interaction alive.

I also think Blizzard needs to cap the total population much lower than they have in Classic and simply open more servers that better reflect a balance between PvE and PvP servers like we had in Vanilla - so that new players are not under the assumption that one is more popular than the other.

You mean, not everyone is PvPing? :thinking:

1 Like

BC has flying

faction balance means next to nothing

not that i want to be on a 70/30 server

but you are being really dramatic over it

everyone that “cares” about pvp will be q’ing arena

not world pvp’ing

tl;dr - relax

1 Like

Faction balance definitely means something during your primal farm, or Karazhan attunement - good luck making it into places like Mana Tombs on a PvP server. Let alone the screeching of mages flying at you terminal velocity to pom sheep you before they splat into the ground.

I’m wondering how Shattrath is going to be on PvP servers.

1 Like

shatt is a sanctuary

will there be griefing?

ofc thats pvp servers

will it matter 90% of the time?

no

comparing the need for good balance on classic vs bc is like comparing the need for a good community on retail vs classic

not comparable in any universe

1 Like

I agree with that. Flying definitely kills open world interaction outside of a select few areas.

1 Like

Didn’t play Vanilla, but I’ve heard mention of these original servers having 1k to 2k players. And this experiment with large population servers is a failure despite the architecture handling it.

Those original 5 or whatever servers had queues on launch day of hours. I hope for their sake they do release 50 servers capped at like 1,500 toons.

We didn’t need layering/sharding. Even an unbalanced server at under 2K players I think has a larger more person to real estate mitigation.

TLDR. Yes, cap servers under 2K. Let the imbalance happen. At least it will not involve any queues nor resource scarcity.

I don’t know what the cost comparison is of new server vs. megaserver. Clearly though, megaserver doesn’t work in WoW.

I am not sure how much it costs for the virtual space Blizzard hosts their servers on either, but I can’t imagine it would be so much that it would justify 10,000+ subscriptions per server to maintain cost efficiency.

1 Like

why do people still think the servers are so much larger in classic vs vanilla…

Vanilla had 10k people per server as well, but just like classic only a fraction of that can be on at any given time.

When people say the vanilla server sizes they mean the number of people who could be on at any given time, which was 3-4k or so, where as the classic servers appear to be set to around 5k concurrent loggins.

1 Like

Huh, I honestly am not sure one way or the other, guess I should research it a bit more - unless you have a frame of reference I can look over. I was under the impression a developer had said as much about Vanilla.

the problem is people confusing different metrics and thinking they are the same thing.

Server sizes that are quoted for vanilla are often the number of people online at a given time.

When people talk about servers in classic they are often talking server census size or number of unique players seen on a server over the course of a period of time.

A server that can have 3k people on at one time could support over 70k people if they were all playing 1hr a day.

1 Like

Yeah I get that, but I think people are referencing the number of people actually allowed to be online on a server versus the total population - at least the ones who seem to know what they’re talking about.

funny how streamers would plant their characters and claim to own server, least asmongold thought so and horde fought back, and even more so when banning advertise for being stream sniper with no proof, but accusation, sadly Advertise’s video of defending himself and proofing he isn’t stream sniper has been privated

Advertise was definitely “stream sniping” - but through methods used in game around metagaming.

I don’t think he had bad intentions, he was just trying to create some good cross faction rivalry and targeted the wrong people to do it.

Asmongold’s a bit of an odd character, as are a lot of the streamers who claim to be “old school” but were oddly absent from the private server scene. His spear heading of the #nochanges movement was pretty misinformed - and his inexperience with the game showed when it came down to actually playing.

1 Like

sadly asmongold think he stream snipe outside game and banned him, advertise told him to talk to him if he got to far, yet doesn’t want to

Asmgold bullies his friend Mcconnell for being ret paladin, trying to follow min max meta, dispite saying raiding is so easy that min max is optional lol

I honestly don’t pay much attention to it further than an interest in the drama/novelty of entertainment value. There is a lot of “theater” going on for the sake of entertainment there.

1 Like

totally agree, he tried to banned ClassicLFG addon, dispite was part of original vanilla in name of Call to Arms and gives easier LFG channel for dungeons as oppose to reading trade chat, yet he never heard of addon and thinks it isn’t vanilla

by this point classic got ruin by elitist min maxxer, want everyone to level up as fast as possible then to take their time leveling up like they did in first place