Battle.net forum format

At the same time, I think it’s a problem that you can join a thread with the intent to troll enough to get it shut down and not get banned.

6 Likes

Problem is people keep engaging them even after they know the misinformation crowd is still going to repeat their misinformation after being shown the facts.

I know some people go “I don’t puit anyone on ignore” but you know sometimes you just need to

1 Like

They chose this forum software for a reason. I don’t think it was a random choice. It’s very non-standard. Look at how long it took them to implement ignore, which is standard on every forum software.

They chose the software that does allow it to be btag format but had it adjusted for stuff like rp. The problem is when they got Discourse to do the special adjusments for the WoW forums it made the Character-Server the account instead of the Btag. Even Blizz has admitted this is a problem and are looking into ways to change the wow forums.

Will it be going the btag route like their other forums or another universal id to tie all of ones toons together ? Who knows . All I can say is it won’t be soon because we all know the people over at Camp Irvine tend to move slow.

3 Likes

Personally, I disagree.

IMO, the forums are often a toxic environment, and people have a right to expect and have privacy and not become the brunt of the name calling, mud slinging, acid tonged caustic environment sometimes known as the wow forums.

What it needs is, Blizz to first warn perpetrators, perhaps 3 times.
and then if it continues, Blizz needs to follow up with full account bans.

And I’m going to suggest that the way the forums currently operate (effectively infinite burner accounts for free) is at least partially responsible for causing that effect.

5 Likes

I agree but btags are public names as statred by Blizz. YOu can’t find out what a persons toons are by just knowing their btag . In fact it is easier to find ones alts with the current char-server system .

1 Like

Can’t complain about people hopping on alts doing whatever when you knowingly spam this again after others closed any better? Btw the forums are worthless anyway so who cares what happens here. Never take this cesspool serious it’s never changing with or without btags.

1 Like

Tbh it’s more about the fact people who do use this space and platform being deserving of not being trolled by unhinged weirdos talking to themselves via sock puppets. Or having to put up w someone’s bigotry & deciding they’re someone who you’re better off ignoring only for them to circumvent people’s ignores and pop up again on a sock puppet. Etc

Wanting a better less toxic environment no matter how serious or unserious the space is isn’t a negative request or desire, the forums would arguably benefit from such positive changes on a personal level but also for blizzard as a company to better streamline feedback without the noise of its most toxic element on the forums as people would be unable to sock puppet to the same effect as they currently are.

10 Likes

sure, it happens occasionally, but it’s not a big enough problem that the forums need to be revamped to fight it. it’s much more common that somebody sees 10 people all telling them their ideas are bad, and decides it must just be one person trolling them.

which would be a big problem if the poll were something that mattered. it’s not.

1 Like

You are entirely correct and I agree with you.

However, we approach the question of a solution to the issue differently:

A) You seem to believe it is the forum communities task to do the policing to correct the issue, if Blizz would change the tools available to the community.

B) I’m suggesting that the policing should be Blizz’s task. Blizz set the rules, they set the structure, they set the level of need (by creating huge gaps in the in-game information structure of the game that forces a player to go to the forums and/or third party websites).

So we are on the same page, just approaching the possible solution from different directions.

They’re worthless because Blizzard allows them to be. But moderation can fix that. So can Battletags leading to no more sockpuppeting and less trolling.

4 Likes

No, you made the claim you can prove it. I don’t care enough to put forth even the slightest iota of effort for this topic.

I also agree that blizzard needs to do a better job, but at the same time, I think that making this change would give them an easier job to do.

All that being said, this topic (and the other threads about it) has shown that the heckler’s veto is currently too powerful on the forums.

3 Likes

Pretty easy to determine if it’s an imposter.

It wouldn’t discourage nor stop it.

Not a dire issue.

Wow this sounds like a super important topic in that case.

You think Activision takes the poll seriously?

Not a dire issue. Either you like something or you don’t. If you yourself are so easily swayed by a post with a handful of likes, then that’s on you.

It really isn’t.

“Current format opens us up to stalking!!!”

“We want our battle tags listed so people can spam add us, opening us up to actual stalking!!!”

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/027/838/Untitled-1.jpg

3 Likes

1 question about all these claims: how?

2 Likes

why would having battle tags keep people from trolling?

2 Likes

I agree we should have BTags on Forums.

I do disagree with the stalking bit, since… everything on the forums is public. It’s public infomation for everybody to view. Including Btags.

So basically to them, it’s like somebody A calling somebody B a racist because they (B) countered that person’s (A) arguments and A has no argument and just goes with that. It’s just a label thrown around with no real substance or meaning. Hoping to ruin them because they speak the truth.

If that’s the case, i have one of the threads up on Twitter. :stuck_out_tongue:

No people can not spam add a person via btags. The person being requested has to approve the request unlike current character-server where one person can add ones toons without a person knowledge.

Also how can btags open people up to actual stalking when there is no personal real life information tied to them and have been stated as being public names like twitter handles or gamer names

BATTLETAG

[PURCHASE BATTLETAG CHANGE ](javascript:void(0))

This name is your public identity in Blizzard games
Source:
https://account.battle.net/details#battle-tag

Also here is the Blizz support article on Battletags

So if you were misinformed in the past about what btags can do , well I hope this helps .

4 Likes

They had a poll on here at some point about what mounts to release. What do you think happened?

Yes and no, it depends on how it’s constructed and if they have a good team to moderate it. I had seen very good constructive forums in my lifetime, specially from a previous online game community.

The fact we came up with ways to see it, proves it’s a problem, and is not the solution.

It will actually, or at least decrease it dramatically.

Oh how wrong you are. I seen the worst types of in the past, and the moderation does little to stop it.

Mira did a good list above on the other reasons. I am just lazy.

Yes. Like they did with the mount poll.

Actually it can be, to inflate popularity on what is not actually popular.

Yes it is actually. But your free to have an opinion.

Easier to see their total history, which would conclude they are trolls and not serious posters. Hard to hide when your stuck on a single name.

1 Like