Batching changes give Blizzard #NoExcuse to not ban Bots

I hope Delimicus hasn’t ignored me. I don’t think I can live without him paying attention to me.

Conspiracy? To be too cheap to have GMs? lol

They’re not bothering to ban bots. It’s a choice they’re making. IDC what the excuse is.

1 Like

They said they ban 1000 bots. But I saw 1. That means they lied.

I mean, many of the same bots are still doing their thing in the same instance for months… but yea lets all pretend this isn’t a problem.

Good. I like to play pretend. That’s why I play WoW.

Nah, but I can do that now.

You made that very easy.

He’s another one who trolls the forums. He’s on my list of people I will not reply to.

I’m sorry my posting of facts upsets you. Here’s another fact, you do reply to me:

You even threw my post a like!

What would be illegal about them selling their in game currebcy? Or giving another company permission to do it? It would have a serious backlash with players and tons would quit but I think legally they would be ok. Unless they werent paying taxes on it haha

All kinds of things. One of the primary reasons most gaming companies don’t allow RMT trading is the legal ramifications, not design preference. For one, if an item has a real world value sanctioned by the game-maker, then the gaming company can end up getting wrapped up in litigation that doesn’t even directly concern them.
But then theres the issues that do impact them directly, namely laws against money laundering and gambling… MMO’s are fighting investigations in other countries over RMT trading and various random “loot boxes” being considered a form of gambling and legislation was introduced to ban microtransactions in the US altogether for the same reason.
Additionally, if their in-game currency is classified as an actual currency, the gaming company becomes an MSB (Money Services Business) and is then subject to regulation by the BSA (Banking Services Act,) which could put them in all kinds of legal trouble if it is found that their game is providing a platform for money laundering, a very real issue in MMO’s with high amounts of RMT.

They could also run afoul of the DPTA (Deceptive Trade Practices Act) if it were in fact found that they were playing a double game and taking kick-backs from the botting companies or even just appearing to be fighting them when they are even tacitly allowing them

If a tree falls in the forest but I didn’t see it… it never existed in the first place.

There are plenty of eastern MMOs that engage in RMT and pay to win. None of what you described is an actual legal issue. Blizzard specifically states in its EULA that it can do what it pleases with the game. Fighting botmakers does not stop them from having Blizzard-sanctioned bots, or a deal with certain botters.

I’m not saying this is the case, and if it were indeed revealed to be true it’d be quite the scandal, but to say that it’s legally impossible is very doubting of what large corporations are capable of.

I mean… you’re wrong. It is very much a legal issue. Selling currency/items is one thing, and even then there have been a whole slew of anti-gacha laws passed in recent years. But RMT implies money being both bought and sold… which you won’t find in almost any online game.
And the very few that DO allow RMT trading have a very specific regulatory framework set up because of the legal ramifications. Second Life is probably the most famous… and all their RMT transactions are done through a subsidiary company (Tillia) set up specifically for that purpose. And to process a transaction, you have to submit your name, address, date of birth, and social security number among other things because of compliance issues and the BSA.

Sure, but none of what you describe has anything to do with Blizzard-sanctioned bots (if such a thing exists). The trusted third party platforms that enable resellers operate within the legal financial frameworks of very strict countries like Sweden, Singapore, or Hong Kong. Blizzard already sells gold on retail (they technically sell a gametime token that can be exchanged for gold, but still), there’s no reason to believe that Blizzard couldn’t have an offshore deal with trusted platforms through shell subsidiaries that exist within those financial markets.

This wouldn’t be anything too wild for a large corporation like ActiBlizz. Companies in other industries do far more sinister things lol.

SELLING the token is a completely different thing. You can sell tickets at the carnival. You can sell subscriptions. Etc etc. BUT, if you create a system where people can go and gamble with those tickets, then sell them back… you run into gambling laws, and banking laws if it can be established that the “ticket” can be considered a currency

If Blizzard was allowing the trading of their currency through a hidden subsidiary as a way of circumventing existing federal law you do understand how that would be an enormous legal issue? I mean come on…

I thought it was trees making sounds in the forest or something. You gotta work on your analogy.

Do you think they’re trying to take over the world like Darth Vader?

He thinks highly of himself. That’s the opposite of me, I’m just a pleb.

He seems to think i still reply to him. I don’t lol.