Banned for using inappropriate language?!?! Really?!

Seems I have been reported and banned for using the f word. Everybody uses the f word in bgs…The part is disagree with is that there is a profanity filter that does indeed work for those ppl who can’t bear the sight of a curse word. So, why ban me for it? I can understand a silence, sure that makes sense. But to make it so I can’t play the game at all is unreasonable to me. I have already appealed it to no avail. I am requesting it to be changed to a silence as opposed to a ban.

Every single person I’ve showed the chat transcript that was reported to says “you got banned for THAT?!?!? I’ve said worse myself in bgs!”

-TK

10 Likes

Doesn’t give you an excuse to break the rules though. The filter is there to protect people from others who can’t self-censor themselves, not as an excuse for others to use profanity.

If you’ve received a suspension, it probably means this isn’t your first offense.

15 Likes

The profanity filter isn’t there to allow anyone to run their mouth. It’s akin to cops wearing bulletproof vest. Just because they have it on, doesn’t mean you’re allow to shoot them. More to the topic at hand, the rules about not cursing in game been here from the start of the game, so it shouldn’t be shocking. Let along other MMOs not allowing it, either.

11 Likes

An appeal is all you can do. You can keep appealing until Blizzard says no more appeals.

6 Likes

While everyone is talking about the filter, I will add: You agreed to not use volatile language while playing. You broke the rules and got punished.

1 Like

Even still, a silence seems more appropriate.

3 Likes

I think it depends on what was said, plus any previous chat violations you may have. :man_shrugging:t2: Go for the appeal from your email. Best thing to try.

1 Like

Everyone does not use inappropriate language in a Battleground and even if they did, it wouldn’t make doing so yourself anymore within line of our policies. It is a violation of our Code of Conduct regardless of if one or one hundred people are doing it.

The mature language filter is in place for parents of minor children, as well as others who simply don’t wish to see it, to block it. It doesn’t give you purchase to use that language, it is still against our policies.

Silences are actually a fairly new thing, we used to suspend access to the account for nearly all language/chat violations. Silences were a way to provide a warning without removing you from the game. We found that silences don’t work as well as a deterrent as we had originally hoped so suspensions from the game possible based on the violation and history on the account.

You are welcome to appeal if you feel the penalty was applied in error, but no, we will not reduce the penalty. You earned what you earned based on the behavior and history on the account in accordance to our policies and procedures.

Hopefully, that will educate them so that they can avoid receiving a suspension themselves.

11 Likes

I did, they denied it. Hence why I’m hoping they might read it here and change it to a silence.

1 Like

Nope. Not here they won’t. Your only course of action is appealing again like I said.

6 Likes

The Forum Blues here are not GMs and cannot report to other GMs. The appeal is the only way.

1 Like

I’ll just add that an appeal is not an opportunity to argue your case.
An appeal is another set of eyes reviewing the chat in question to determine if it actually violated Blizzard policies. If the reviewer determines that the chat didn’t actually violate policies, the penalty is overturned.
If the reviewer decides policies were indeed violated, the appeal is denied.

So, an appeal is really just a confirmation that policies were either violated or not. There are no extenuating circumstances.
It sounds like you did violate chat policies so I wouldn’t hold out much hope from an appeal if I were you.

3 Likes

There’s one other thing about the profanity filter. It can make it easier to report chat because it stands out.

6 Likes

I’m intrigued by how weird this thread has become.

Torturekilla: I violated TOS but my punishment was severe.
Literally everyone else: You violated TOS.
Torturekilla: Yes. But, for example, here’s a punishment that would have been deserved and actually rationally related to the type of offense.
Literally everyone else: That doesn’t excuse your TOS violation.

Consider this: Under the Code of Conduct, vulgar and offensive language will be punished despite language filters and avoidable-but-ubiquitous “Barrens Chat” exchanges that carry no consequences. However, toons with unfilterable sexually and racially offensive names are forced on dozens if not hundreds of other players, indiscriminately. The owner will be forced to change the name, and Blizz might do more, at its discretion. Query: Is an isolated and filterable F-bomb in chat treated like someone else’s billboard endorsing … {inappropriate content}?

4 Likes

Neither are allowed and both are treated about the same. The filter is not even a factor in the punishment equation.

• First offense of inappropriate language is usually a 24 hour Silence. From there it doubles each time, and repeat offenses can result in a suspension. Eventually an account closure can happen.

• First offense of a bad name results in a forced name change. Repeat offenses result in Blizzard changing the name to one they pick AND a Suspension. Eventually an account closure can happen.

Any chat in any public channel that violates the rules can be reported and actioned. Blizzard currently depends on player reports and does not use AI. That means if something is not reported it will escape moderation notice.

6 Likes

If by treated you mean, will they be punished? Then yes. The severity of the punishment is going to depend on what was violated, how many times the person violated the rules, etc. It is not always a “They did x bad thing so y punishment happens.”

4 Likes

I am not entirely certain how the thread is “weird”. OP doesn’t agree with the penalty received and feels that the filter is in place to all them to say whatever they wish. The others, who are fairly educated on how it works provided details as to why that wasn’t an accurate assessment.

The person who violated policy doesn’t get to determine what penalty is appropriate. Making the penalty acceptable to the person who is being penalized isn’t really a great deterrent.

It is also important to understand that the penalty for violating the Code of Conduct is based on the severity of that violation as well as the history on the account. Meaning, if you receive more than a warning or a silence, this almost certainly isn’t your first offense.

Our penalties escalate, so that it is understood that we take these policies very seriously, and they should as well.

Consider this, both situations may result in a penalty. Depending on what the violation is, the penalty may vary. So for the first offense of a bad name, we usually will provide a warning and flag the character, guild or pet for a rename. Though that can depend on the name as well. We can and do escalate that penalty depending on the name itself.

A Chat violation is similarly given a warning. Usually the first penalty is a temporary silence. Additional ones may result in a longer silence and/or a suspension from the game.

As noted, no. Both can, depending on the history on the account, result in suspension or even account closure.

10 Likes

If everyone got to choose their punishment, then it wouldn’t be a deterrent. Another “rationally related” punishment might be to not let them do a BG for a day. Ok, they’ll just go into group or raid finder and do the same thing. In fact, as pointed out:

Because the punishment was to ignore trade/group chat and just chat with friends on Discord. Sounds more like a reward than a punishment.

The entire point of a punishment is to alter the behavior. When the punishment leads to a lot of complaining on the forums or Reddit or wherever, then you know it’s starting to be effective.

3 Likes

Curious cat has a question:

Is there a period where penalties “expire” when it comes to evaluating the next penalty? E.g. can a silence from 15 years ago still be used for a penalty that occurred today?

Silences did not exist 15 years ago. It was a suspension or a ban.

The Silence system does not have any cooldown and stacks forever. It started in 2016.

The suspensions are determined by GMs based on current policy which changes over time. Right now they are issuing suspensions for language because people don’t seem to be taking the Silence system as consequential enough.

Policy on that going forward…curious too. If it follows the Silence system it will stack and suspensions will eventually end in account bans.

3 Likes