Ban spy addon that shares enemy player locations

It’s because many developers don’t think about the ramifications of their software. They just do it because they find it interesting or are technophiles.

“Oh, I can automate that!”
Tingly programmer senses kick in

That’s just how a lot of developers think. One of the dudes that developed the first atomic weapon would get excited figuring out if the bomb should detonate on the ground or overhead. To him, it was an interesting ‘problem.’

The addon would be OK if it functioned in a standalone state for the user running the addon.

But having it share information with other addon users shouldn’t be possible.

I think blizzard just needs to severely limit the addon API in classic. Anything that automates input or sends data over the internet should be banned.

5 Likes

This can all be done with /Who and discussion in Party or Guild chat. The features are already in place to be used this is just automating. It’s not doing anything other than streamlining information presentation.

Well why not just do it the old fashioned way then? It worked in the classic era just fine, and has worked for over a decade in the private server circuit.

Just thinking out loud… would you have a problem if an add on like this only worked if a player actively clicked a button?

By that I mean, the add on gathered local data and held it, but it only sent it via player interaction (the click).

This would not fall under the strict definition of automated (since it requires player input) and this would not be doing anything that the player could not do already (reporting data). It would basically just make the data transfer faster.

We need an addon that identifies people using these addons and marks them on the map for the opposing faction!

1 Like

So your problem is that the addon says, “Alliance Rogue near so and so” instead of a player saying “Alliance Rogue near so and so”?

Oh! Cool then you can just use the combat log instead of a mod. Good call.

1 Like

Blizzard please remove location tracking addons.

3 Likes

It existed in BC because I used to have it. Like others have pointed out, all it does is report encounters with the opposing faction. “Encounters” being the keyword there. It basically just reports when someone in the zone is engaged in PvP combat.

People are freaking out like it’s going to automatically list the name, class, and exact location of every single person in the zone and that’s not the case. It’s more like the rare announce addons in Naz and Mech. Ex) I’m killing panthers for Hemet Nessingwary when a rogue suddenly jumps me. Addon: “/1 Player-Rogue found at 00.00,00.00”. That’s it. All it does is save you the trouble of having to type it out yourself while desperately hoping you don’t die before the stun wears off. :expressionless:

These addon makers need to be banned
#break Addons

4 Likes

There was a similar addon in Vanilla that blizzard did break, I don’t believe it announced an enemy in chat, but it did sound an alarm to the person using it and a green arrow pointed in the direction of the enemy.
This was used in pvp before blizzard posted they were not going to allow it, I don’t remember what it was called.

Thanks for the advertisement, going to go download this now and use it until it’s broken.

Edit: not that an addon monitoring the combat log for nearby enemies would be broken.

1 Like

Just ban all add-ons and be done with it if ppl want to cry about some add-ons.

4 Likes

This addon relies heavily on addon communication/networking, it’s pretty likely the API changes that are being made will also stop this

No add-on is ever a must for anything.

I support this.

Peggle would like to have a word with you, try playing peggle without that installed

hint: you cant

No peggle for anyone

1 Like

Haha, I just meant in this game. I have never played Peggle.