"Bad" words get you banned

I don’t know when this was changed. I’ve played WoW for a while now, and I don’t think I’ve ever been banned because of things I wrote.

Seven days ban for saying “F u” in a battleground chat is a bit much. It wasn’t even aimed at anyone specific either. So it was nothing.

I understand if you’re banning people for being racist or who continuously harass a specific person. But whatever you guys have shown me is why I got banned. The punishment doesn’t fit the crime at all.

It wasn’t like this before. Most of us are used to being able to say pretty much anything we want. And it never was an issue. But now, for some reason, it is.

4 Likes

Wrong. It’s NEVER been this way. Ever.

The only thing that has changed is it’s now a 7 day suspension.

13 Likes

So why not just prevent players from writing those offensive words to protect them from themselves? Because obviously, some of us struggle to write without using those bad words.

Oh, by the way, Nephe. That quick oxxein ring of yours is sick. I didn’t even know that it could roll such a power. That’s cool.

1 Like

Because they chose to do so?

Actions have consequences. Simple as that.

3 Likes

You received a Silence as a warning for inappropriate chat directed to another player. The Silence was to inform you that you violated the Code of Conduct and hopefully give you an opportunity to correct your behavior and avoid future penalties.

Repeated offenses will increase the severity of the penalty you receive if you’re reported. That is why you have now received a suspension for harassment you’ve directed towards your fellow players.

I’ve been with Blizzard, as a member of the Customer Support team since 2008 and I can say that nothing you’ve been actioned for has ever been considered permitted. Had you been reported, and a Game Master reviewed your chat, you would have received a penalty.

There are a lot of players, in a lot of chat channels, across a lot of realms. So we rely, in part, on players to report inappropriate chat that they encounter. That you’ve gotten away with it does not mean that it is ok.

Players find creative ways to express themselves and context is important. If you, and a group of friends, prefer to joke around or call each other names in private channels then feel free to. If you and your friends have an understanding and aren’t going to be reporting each other then we have no reason to get involved.

You can also find yourself being penalized for harassment without ever using an expletive. Swearing is not where the line is drawn on toxic/harassing chat.

It takes a concious effort to write a message and direct it at another player. Hopefully this penalty will be the last you need and you’ll learn to catch yourself before pressing send. However, as I mentioned before - repeat offenses to result in increased penalties. If you are unable to prevent yourself from using inapporpriate chat or harassing others then you will find that these suspensions increase up to and including permanent account closure.

17 Likes

I will add, since I saw that there was some confusion in another topic , that this topic was closed for being in violation of the Forum Code of Conduct:

Specifically -

Discussing Disciplinary Actions

This category includes:

• Creating posts or threads to discuss disciplinary actions taken against a player, including chat logs and email correspondence between a player and a Game Master (GM)
  • Creating posts or threads to discuss disciplinary actions taken against a character or account on the forums

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, they will:

• Be given a temporary ban from the forums, depending upon severity

The forums are not an avenue through which you can appeal an account penalty. If you believe you’ve been actioned incorrectly, you may submit a ticket through our support website.

10 Likes