Bad Luck Protection

So now that we have some official “bad luck protection in game” with the Evoker legendary, how about tossing the rest of us a bone?

Bad Luck Protection Added to Legendary Evoker Weapon in Patch 10.1.5 - Nas’zuro, the Unbound Legacy - Wowhead News

Why can’t this be done for old mounts, transmogs, pets, etc in the game? It took me over 200 runs to get the low-poly skeletal horse from Stratholme, and I saw the sword drop 7-8 times before I got the mount (supposedly they’re just as rare?!). I am over 3,600 attempts account-wide (yes, I track it with Rarity) for the Love Rocket / X-45 Heartbreaker. The “slightly higher chance the first kill of the day” was not a solution.

A “legendary” weapon should have more prestige than a mount, pet, or transmog from 10 years ago, no? With the bad luck protection it is going to become a lot easier to get for players (rightfully so).

Why not implement this same bad luck protection system to other aspects of the game?

16 Likes

Bad luck protection should utilize the % drop rate items has on the loot table. I’ll use Invincible as an example. It has (according to Wowhead) 1% drop rate. If someone decides to spend two years killing Arthas, they should be guaranteed that drop on their last kill. It doesn’t hurt people who got lucky, they just get it quicker. This should be applied to anything that could be collected, mounts, pets, mog, recipes, illusions, quest items etc.

Worst case, limit it to legacy content (anything not current patch/season/expansion) and let people who want to play the old content in WoW do so. Dedication should be rewarded, not punished.

7 Likes

Could be neat to see all legacy drops be added to some sort of huge expansion vendor which sells things for a gamewide currency which can be earnable from doing all sorts of old content (Timewarped Badges?) and gives people a reason to farm all sorts of old content to get deterministic rewards.

Can keep certain things special by attaching significant costs to them whilst generic items could go for a pittance. And if you happen to get lucky whilst farming, well, you can spend the badges on something else. Turns things from a relatively frustrating luck factor into something that can feel fulfilling if done right. We’ve already seen what this could look like with how the Time Rift vendors operate. You are able to get their entire vendor produce as rewards from the end of the Time Rift minibosses, or you could spend your flakes on them.

4 Likes

Personally, I don’t think it’s a good idea to have bad luck protection for everything. There are a lot of people who really get into certain parts of the game and really enjoy that it’s such a random encounter when you finally get the item you’ve been hunting for.

If you would knew you get Item X after 100 Kills (that’s how other games handle it), you would likely have no special feeling attached to it. I would also argue it would be cool for mounts/pets being on an account wide lockout to even out the playingfield between people with alot of time and toons and those who can’t play regular.

I eventually got many of the raid and dungeons mounts just from playing one single character. The most kills I spent for a mount was the Ravenlord with wopping 1238 Kills since TBC. The Joy i got from it was incredible and something I would really miss, if I knew I would get it guranteed which bad luck protection actually means. I only miss a few raid mounts and one day I might get them or I don’t, but that totally fine.

For the Evoker Legendary this is another case due to it being attached to player power and directly effect your standing among other players. For those kinds of content having something like a bad luck protection is necessary.

1 Like

Rukhmar took me over 2000 attempts and I did not feel joy, just “ah yes, one less thing to ****ing farm” and don’t even use it out of sheer spite, so not everyone feels like you about knowing there would be a light at the end of the tunnel for x amount of attempts. There isn’t prestige or skill behind most mount drops, it’s pure RNG.

Yet still no bad luck protection for the hunter legendary bows that were in TBC and SL; there’s only bad luck protection for an evoker legendary.

7 Likes

That’s why it shouldn’t effect Raid Drops (special transmogs / pets / mounts) f.e. since ppl actually progressed that stuff while it was current content. Giving it away on a bad luck voucher nullfies any effort other ppl put into it when running it 2 addons later. What I can see is if you done some content when it was actual the current patch you get a slim increase to it’s dropchance (f.e. having Ahead of the Curve / Cutting Edge). That way your bad luck of not getting back then would be less impactful.

This is just an assumption : but I believe most ppl that complain about not getting X or Y in a Game won’t use that stuff once they got it. It is just another checkmark which really devalues any item. Gear is allready not standing the test of time - If everything in the game has no meaning to it or a story that’s a sad thing to see.

They did this in Shadowlands with raid gear once we had fated raids, to help back luck protection. I thought it was a really nice idea because it still required you to do the content weekly, it just threw you a bone every few weeks when your trinket you’ve been eyeing still hadn’t dropped for your raid team after 2+ months

Yeah I personally wouldn’t mind either system. What we had at the end of Shadowlands for current gear + bad luck protection of a different type for legacy stuff would be a decent compromise.

3 Likes

I agree, I am also a huge collector of all of those. The Big Love Rocket (X-45 Heartbreaker) has eluded me since WoD. I have TCG mount surrogates but it’s not the same. Every week I hit UR and KR likely a 1/300 chance and there’s more rare mounts, infinite timereaver, if I got that drop I’d likely rarely run timewalking again. My best friend still farms Tusks. I’ve even thrown in past years 1-3 accounts at the timewaster rocket, 2 were capped, last year I just ran 60 alts down from about 97 annually on 2 accounts. The seasonal ones and to a lesser extent timewalking are worse than the others since you get less n attempts per year. My rocket is a carrot on a stick, a not challenging spam. I had most legendaries during Legion from playing excessively before BLP, SL wasn’t bad, I wouldn’t mind a higher drop for low skill level activities.

3 Likes