Bad dungeon design philosophy

Just food for thought. Case being discussed: highest level dungeons 5 man normal and 5 man heroic dungeons (whether you manually build your group or use LFG tool). I.e., I’m talking about the normal and heroic dungeons in the the current latest expansion, where your level matches the dungeon level. I am NOT talking about doing lower level 5-man normal dungeons from older expansions in this post. And I’m not yet addressing raids. Just 5 person dungeons that are currently the highest level dungeons in the game.

Here’s the summary for TLDR:

The game is DESIGNED to be “Need a tank and a healer in a dungeon otherwise you can’t do it” yet now if you have a person with ridiculous high equipment level, they can practically solo and you no longer need a tank, a healer, or even both. This goes against the clear DESIGN of the game: not letting you go into a dungeon without a tank and without a healer.

In the HIGHEST LEVEL 5 MAN (normal/ heroic/ mythic) DUNGEONS IN THE GAME, it seems bad design if any of the following can happen, even if you are geared for mythic but go back and do normal:

• Tank is not needed because someone else can TANK
  • Healer is not needed because others either don’t take much damage and/or can heal themselves enough and/or mobs drop so ridiculously fast they hardly touch your group.
  • One person (or two) can solo a group encounter in the dungeon
  • One person (or two) can solo a BOSS fight (which I just saw the final boss get solo’d by one person)

END of summary

I don’t care HOW you would change this, but none of the above should happen when you are doing THE HIGHEST LEVEL (NORMAL/ HEROIC/ MYTHIC) DUNGEONS CURRENTLY IN THE GAME, since it just absolutely destroys the fun of playing dungeons.

From 2004 to about 5 years or so ago, I hardly ran into this - now I can’t escape it. Even when I put together a group, you can still get a person who ruins the dynamic and have to play equipment police because the game design is lopsided from what it once was.

It’s just flat out BORING in a dungeon when it doesn’t matter what you do, doesn’t matter if you don’t cooperate and/or you don’t need a tank and/or don’t need TO tank and/or you don’t need a healer and/or you don’t need TO heal. There’s absolutely NO fun in it. I might as well watch TV or read a book while the dungeon run is going on. I’d have to pay more attention in PvE out in the zones than in such dungeons.

One consideration (since after all we are talking about the highest level 5 man (normal/ heroic/ mythic) dungeons in the game at the moment, not the lower level ones) :

Perhaps use a sort of scaling to make mobs hit people at a similar % of max health damage that you’d experience if you were MAX geared for the dungeon but not yet geared enough for next higher tier of dungeon difficulty (where cooperation, tanks, healers, tanks tanking, healers healing would now be needed like they once were).

Same for how much damage mobs take: cut down to a max % of the monster’s health any hit can do compared to the damage they take if the people were geared max level for that difficulty, but not strong enough to be allowed in higher level dungeon yet.

Numeric example: So you need iLevel 157 to get to heroic. Figure out the average damage % of max health done and received when entire group is, say, geared 155, and make it so even if you gear higher than that, when you go to a normal dungeon you’ll still give at most that same % health damage to moves and still receive that same % max health damage to yourself. You’d still be strong for the dungeon, but it wouldn’t become an absolute joke for you and everyone else. Lower level 5 man normal dungeons becoming a joke makes sense. The latest expansion 5 man normal dungeons becoming a joke is another story.

If you do this, then tanks HAVE to tank and healers HAVE to heal and no one can SOLO.

There would actually be a point to grouping and getting a tank and healer again!

Why would people INSIST that a non-tank be able to tank the highest level dungeon in the game and that perhaps you don’t even need a tank?

Why would people insist that you should be able to get through a dungeon with no healer?

Why would people insist that you should be able to get through a dungeon with no cooperation?

A tank should be required.
Tanking done by the tank only should be required, with others trying to tank too long (or tank not holding aggro too long) will lead to a group wipe.
A healer should be required.
Healing from the healer should be required.

And for those who claim it will slow down their runs, well consider this:

For you power levelers that are over-geared for these dungeons: At the moment you DPS sit in queues waiting for a tank and a healer THAT YOU NO LONGER REALLY NEED.

Why not insist that you be allowed to get a group far sooner with 1 healer and 4 dps? You’d get groups many times faster!

Why not insist that once your gear is mythic you be allowed to run normal dungeons with 5 DPS since you don’t really need a haler?

You don’t - you sit in the queue for a long time waiting for a healer you don’t need and a tank you don’t need.

If you design your game around ONE playstyle of “We’ll let you practically skip playing this game AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL so you can just minimax your equipment as quickly as ever loving possible” it ruins the fun factor at the highest level.

Just food for thought.

I’m sure many will hate this idea: but you can breeze lower level dungeons. The highest level dungeons that are currently in the game at any time should not be ones that can be breezed through like they’re a joke.

2 Likes

From your post I assume you’re talking Normal and Heroic 5 mans which are definitely not the highest level dungeons in the game. They have a static difficulty which can be out geared.

The highest level dungeons are Mythic Plus and at high level keys you need everything you mentioned. You need a Tank, a Healer and competent DPS.

16 Likes

Hello. I mean the highest level 5 man normal dungeons - a.k.a., the 5 man normal dungeons that came with the latest expansion. And the highest level 5 man heroic dungeons that came with the latest expansion at the time as well.

You created a giant wall of text about this?

Seriously….

6 Likes

Hey I like your name

2 Likes

You mean the dungeons that you can very easily outgear now and being able to trivialize. Fun fact being able to do that to previously difficult content (or in this case marginally annoying) is one of the hallmarks of gearing up in RPGs that has been mainstay for about 30 years now.

7 Likes

Ilvl 213 guardian druid can solo heroic sanguine depths confirmed

Because if I can do it, anyone can do it.

/bear form
/dance

i look forward to being able to solo dungeons :frowning:

2 Likes

On what planet are normal and heroic the highest level dungeons in the game? That’s just absurd.

9 Likes

Blizzard has historically been very reluctant to cap player power in any way even though it makes 99% of their content obsolete for end-game players. Other games have solved this problem though. Just set a reasonable max level, and/or ilevel for each zone/dungeon. Players that have leveled past that point will still be very strong, and still be able to take on greater challenges, but not to the point where there’s no gameplay remaining anywhere but the very latest raids and high level M+.

1 Like

This comes down to the massive skill gap that exists in the WoW playerbase.

Regular dungeons are designed to be so easy that even the worst players in the game WILL defeat them, with no issues.

And anything designed to be automatically beaten by the worst players in the game, can be easily solo’d by any good (or even competent) player.

4 Likes

But norm and heroic dungeons are entry level content. they arnt difficult. They have simplified mechanics to get new players/new toons used to working as a group and having to manage mechs during a fight and to get some starter gear while you level/learn to play. Mythic’s are not even end game, they are just a slight increase. And at the start of an xpack mythic 0’s are still a challenge and require coordination. Mythic + on the other hand is the scale up towards end game content. low keys are easier and they get more difficult the higher the key.
Your complaining about beginner content being easy?

1 Like

Where to begin.

at 200 ilevel higher heroic exists to bang out quests. And/Or get renown. at 9.1 this is not deep content. Those wanting a better experience need to find 4 others more open to training camps. Otherwise, yeah, you are getting DPS blasting pulls. Why we are there. 2 callings will clear off of 1 dungeon. Nuke bosses and trash 215+ ilevel…get paid.

tnak not needed concerns… You can thank your fellow flaking tanks on that one. many have seen tank dip out for no reason. Crews at higher ilevel learn to work without a tank.

No issues in chat, no one doing anything really bad. I’ve seen tanks drop on runs where even DBM is going gratz…new record time. and that time beat was off of 220 pros stacked teams in lfd in 9.0. So yeah, the team is solid.

We see we can do trash pulls fine. We get to bosses. DPS with taunt in the crew they get pocket healer and DPS is told to not be too stupid. Bosses die, its all good.

You’d have a rebellion if things scaled to the ilvl of the people doing the dungeon.

1 Like

Normal would be hell. It be the the new 60’s trying to get that 155 to see heroic (so we’d have them around 145 ish to 149) running right next to the fresh 50/51 dings rocking that sexy 60 (if that) ilevel.

50 ding is a weak AF ilevel 50 something avg ilevel. Hell you could carry a char on a mythic EN mog run and they’d get ilevel 50 gear. Squish messed this up fierce. Gratz, you killed mythic Xavius. Enjoy your level 50 gear hero.

1 Like

I clarified: the highest level NORMAL dungeons are in the latest expansion. Compared to all other normal dungeons. And so on.

So you want

1. A mechanic that makes anyone not a tank not able to handle any mob in the dungeon

2. Enough damage consistently going out to the entire party is taking [x amounts] of damage that they can’t heal through using personal abilities

3. A mechanic or enough damage output from a mechanic that makes it not possible to solo or two man

and #4 is covered by #1

There should be a limit to the difficulty of content where brand new shiny players are grouped with you. If you want more of a challenge then you should probably head into M+

It’s all about equipment. With equipment barely good enough to get there you now need cooperation, the tank to tank, the healer to heal.

Nothing about this game is hard - it’s quite easy and just requires time to get equipment.

But when a person can solo a dungeon that’s supposed to be about 5 people, when dps can tank, when you don’t need a healer, that’s going too far down the rabbit hole of making dungeon runs pointless except to fulfil a quota the game makes.

Define “handle any mob in the dungeon”. Do you think dps should be able to pull a group, or a boss, having them all wailing on the dps, and very little healing is needed?

1 Like

Well you say “tank is not needed because someone else can tank”, in order for that not to happen all mobs in the dungeon would have to be very lethal in order to prohibit non-tanks from being able to tank.
I would define ‘handle’ as the ability to negate that lethality.

A highly geared DPS in a Normal or Heroic dungeon? Sure, I see no problem there. Me, on my 140 ilvl arms warrior? No :laughing:

1 Like

I agree. I’ve been running normal on an alt. I’m so tired of level 60 tanks just blowing through it turning it into a circus. I’m tired of Dps just going ahead of me when I tank and just mowing stuff down.

I would scale everyone down to the difficulty ilvl with regards to normal and heroic.

2 Likes