Babylon 5 or Star Trek DS9?

Hello everyone. I heard these two shows are very similar but also that both are good in their own way. Which do you guys suggest I watch first?

I have been enjoying older sci fi series lately like Voyager and Andromeda and suddenly remember the rivalry between these two series.

Start with B5, it’s a sci-fantasy, but a more grounded one. DS9 is a good Star Trek series.

3 Likes

I already started DS9 and it is indeed nice. It was on netflix which we had sub with so easier to access. While B5 is not haha

2 Likes

DS9 is peak Trek. Babylon 5 is also excellent. Watch both.

4 Likes

Yes am binge watching ds9 now. it is good. but the age is showing. I wish netflix would have remastered it the way some in youtube showed how it would look in an AI remaster haha

Watching these old shows. It kind of shows me how modern shows have traded good stories for good visuals. Hence I sometimes wonder how awesome these old shows would be under modern visuals.

1 Like

Hold your aging comments until you see Babylon 5, heh.

1 Like

haha yes. I watched an episode of babylon and it looks so old haha. The creator is planning a reboot like battlestar galactica had. Hope he succeeds. We need good stories. Nowadays shows seems to concentrate more on visuals.

Star Trek DS9 has Quark’s Bar while Babylon 5 has Zócalo…

DS9 has Cardassia while Babylon 5 has Centauri Prime…

DS9 has Qo’noS while Babylon 5 has Narn Prime…

DS9 has Bajor while Babylon 5 has Minbar…

DS9 has the Changeling Homeworld while Babylon 5 has the Vorlon Homeworld…

DS9 has the Wormhole while Babylon 5 has Z’ha’dum…

DS9 has the Klingons while Babylon 5 has the Narn…

DS9 has the Cardassians while Babylon 5 has the Centauri…

DS9 has the Bajorans while Babylon 5 has the Minbari…

DS9 has the Pah Wraiths while Babylon 5 has the Shadows…

DS9 has the Changelings while Babylon 5 has the Vorlons…

DS9 has the Prophets while Babylon 5 has Lorien…

The only difference between DS9 and Babylon 5 is the addition of the Ferengi whose semi-supreme Capitalist point of view adds quite a bit of philosophy to the Universe.

The Ferengi show the views of Capitalism including how it is more successful when Dogma is thrown out the window for the sake of self interest as shown by it throwing out the restrictions on Women doing business. Ferengi self interest when applied to War gets the War resolved faster.

1 Like

They’re similar in that they’re sci-fi shows set around a space station fighting a war, beyond that they’re completely different.

1 Like

Bab5 < DS9, but only slightly. They are both fantastic! If you’re a Trek fan then DS9 will probably win out. If you’re impartial… well DS9 might still win. But I will always love Bab5 more. Its story is just overall amazing BUT you have to get through the 1st Season which is kind of weak. However it does alot to set up the universe so you really need to watch it because the end is payed off huge. I think that’s one of the things that really hooked me, the overarching story that’s more than just random standalone episodes.

Oh. Also Walter Koenig is in Bab5… so yeah.