Awful Stuttering in Instances with New PC

I just built a new PC, which should be extreme overkill for this game. It has a fresh install of Windows 10 and WoW. Yet, despite the massive (and I mean massive) spec upgrade, I’m getting this awful, terrible, no-good, very bad stuttering in instances (both M+ and raid, but much worse and more frequent in raid). It seems to only happen in combat (but I don’t need to be in combat, just someone near me)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz
MoBo: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard
Storage: 1 TB Seagate Firecuda PCIe Gen 4 M.2

Temps are all fantastic.

I have tried (without improvement) each the following:

• Disabling all addons
  • Disabling advanced combat logging
  • Disabling combat logging altogether
  • Changing graphics settings (to below what my 1060/8600k could run just fine, i.e., to an unreasonably low level)
  • Performing a game repair
  • Windows is up to date
  • Drivers are Nvidia’s latest game-ready drivers
  • No, I’m not rendering a Hollywood blockbuster in the background while playing

No change in internet service or internet hardware (and on a wired connection).

Everything was just fine on my old computer (just lower average stated frame rate, of course). Everything else works fine on my new computer.

I’m out of ideas. Help?

4 Likes

Sounds like a bad background task then if you’re on the latest build of windows and have the latest nvidia drivers. Here’s some other potential things you could check for as well:

• Try disabling the xbox game bar
  • Disable any overlay in programs like discord or steam
  • Disable gsync if you use it
  • Some settings aren’t saved on your computer, so reset the CVARs as well by deleting/renaming your WTF/addons folders and run the command in game /console cvar_default (it will spit an error, but its fine, just type /reload afterward to save the settings on the server)
  • In the WoW settings, disable target fps and set spell density to anything other than dynamic
  • Try DX11, instead of DX12
  • Check thermals under load using CPUID HWMonitor. Might have bad fans, bad thermal paste or clogged up vents
  • Make sure your power supply isn’t failing under load
  • Revert your GPU to stock and if you use any overlocking softwares like Afterburner, disable them

That should get you started. Post a dxdiag if you can please. Might help narrow some stuff down.

Did you fix this problem?

I have a Threadripper 2950X and thinking changing to the 5800X for gaming.

Thanks

I wish I could be of some help, but I have to ask where on Earth did you find a 3080 at any price? I’ve seen 3070s, 3070tis, 3080tis, and 3090s (all at prices well above MSRP), but none of those.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!

I have been working through your suggestions. Italics below reflect the effects of each.

• Try disabling the xbox game bar

had already done this–no effect

• Disable any overlay in programs like discord or steam

done, did not help

• Disable gsync if you use it

disabled, no effect

• Some settings aren’t saved on your computer, so reset the CVARs as well by deleting/renaming your WTF/addons folders and run the command in game /console cvar_default (it will spit an error, but its fine, just type /reload afterward to save the settings on the server)

I am trying this now–waiting on an LFR queue (I have no addons, so I probably can’t do anything useful. Seems like I’ll fit in in LFR :stuck_out_tongue:

• In the WoW settings, disable target fps and set spell density to anything other than dynamic

done, no effect

• Try DX11, instead of DX12

done, made game look like butt, capped frame rate at 60, and still stuttered like nuts

• Check thermals under load using CPUID HWMonitor. Might have bad fans, bad thermal paste or clogged up vents

temps under load are fantastic. 100% not a thermal issue

• Make sure your power supply isn’t failing under load

PSU is brand new, and since this only seems to be wonky in wow, I think it’s unlikely to be a straight hardware issue

• Revert your GPU to stock and if you use any overlocking softwares like Afterburner, disable them

done, no effect

It does not seem like a hardware problem, since everything that is not wow works fine. That said, I don’t play a ton of games… so idk

@babko I bought a Bitspower Titan X 1.2 AMD kit for $1900, which included the GPU. When factoring in the PSU, MoBo, case, and hardline watercooling components, I basically got the GPU at MSRP. Thanks Micro Center

2 Likes

It would be a good idea to add the DxDiag Everia mentioned. It’s requested that you add it in any new (performance-related) tech support post.

Hi there–I missed that (also had never heard of it before, so thanks for the link!).

Update:

I fully deleted my addons and WTF folders (instead of just disabling them) and after running the script that was suggested above, which seems to have fully reset me in every way, I went into LFR and the stuttering problem was gone!

Then I enabled combat logging… and it was back. I was able to toggle the stuttering on and off by typing /combatlog.

Now, I had tried this previously and thought (briefly) that this was at least part of my problem. But I have been experiencing it, before now, regularly when logging and not logging.

Do you think I can drop the addons/WTF folder back in now that I ran that script, or is this a start from scratch type of thing? (please dear god don’t let it be a start from scratch type of thing)

I have the DxDiag, but it is far longer than the max forum post length, so I dropped it into a pastebin https://pastebin.com/2KU7AefZ

Hopefully that works

Well, you can try it, and if it goes back to stuttering, undo it and start from scratch.

Problem signature:
P1: FileOperator.exe

Problem signature:
P1: ROGLiveService.exe

ArmoryCrate and the ROG app are both throwing errors in the report. It seems like you already figured out the lag issue is related to logging, but investigating these may help overall performance on the machine.

I wish I had a Microcenter within 70 miles. Envious.

I do sincerely hope you find a solution to your performance issues. I have my own and it doesn’t look like they’re going to be solved without a complete reinstall of WoW, or worse yet a reinstall of Windows, which isn’t really an option because every single repair install option wipes out my third-party software, which includes over 350 games and and over 100 miscellaneous programs. I’ve done it once and it took me two months to restore all the software I had before.

Best of luck.

I drove 60 miles to get to my closest!

Ok, so I’m still stuttering regardless of whether I’m logging. It’s maybe more consistent when logging, but it’s not just that.

Keeping in mind that I’m running the same addons and WTF settings as my old computer, what are the odds it’s an addon problem?

Addons are consistently an issue that comes up, so I’d say pretty high.

Was there a fix?

I have incredible mouse turning stuttering suddenly - did the addons, DirectX, update drivers.
I’m pretty sure it’s the newest nvidia driver - it enabled a GeForce Experience overlay in game that I don’t use but was running in the background. Had to log in to my account and disable it. Seems to have worked.

I still do not have a fix. I have tried everything except spending 50 hours rebuilding my UI from the ground up and (somehow) testing each addon in raid to see if they are part of the problem (I know they aren’t the only issue, since it happened with no addons at all installed).

Sometimes windows updates indirectly affect gaming performance. I have my updates turned off currently so I cannot say what or what not would be a possible troublesome update. I suggest researching that possibility.

I also when I first built my new comp had issues similar to what you are experiencing. After 40+ hours of tinkering I noticed my SSD kept acting strange. It would bounce up to 35-40% usage every 8-11 secs, programs kept crashing lagging and acting funny, and I finally had enough and replaced the SSD since it was returnable.

No issues since. My issue was a buggy SSD. If it is not a windows update, nor a video driver issue, you gotta start looking at your hardware next. I am not saying its your SSD but it is a possibility.

Did you build this yourself or did a local shop do it? If its under parts and service warranty I would put it in the shop and let them work it out. Issues like this are quite annoying, takes a lot of patience and trial and error / research.

Grats on the new comp though. Nice hardware.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks! I built it myself (my 7th or so build).

It really doesn’t seem like a hardware issue, considering it only happens in wow, and even then, only under certain circumstances.

And with a fully stock UI, this still happens when logging, so I don’t buy it being addon related.

Clearly logging (or or something related) is at least part of the problem.

I know that advanced combat logging uses more bandwidth, but my internet hardware and service has stayed the same, and I had no issues before, so that does not seem like a likely cause. I should try disabling advanced combat logging next time in raid to see if that changes anything. I HATE not being able to log anymore though, so hopefully there is a fix that lets me use the damn game features.

For the sake of completeness, though, I have the following internet setup:

• Verizon FiOS gigabit
  • Ethernet connection (CAT 6)
  • Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro and Ubiquity 24 port switch rack mounted in the basement
  • UDMP is on the latest software

Ubiquity has had it’s issues with data and latency and wow.

Not just that, it uses a lot of resources on your PC as well and thrashes your HDD/SSD a lot. I go from like 80fps in raids down to like 60 if I /combatlog a fight.

My old PC (8600k and PCIe gen 3 ssd) could do it with no issues at all, so my new one that is superior in every conceivable way shouldn’t have trouble either.

Re: Ubiquity – I have had some issues in the past because of threat management, but I have disabled that feature, and stopped having issues. And again, no issues on old pc with the same internet hardware, so unlikely to be related methinks.

Hi Funkichicken

Can you put up a new DXDiag - the old link expired. Run a CPU-Z report here as well.

Download the free version of the CPU-Z tool here:

(Download Button on left side of page - “Setup - English”)

Run it on desktop. Along the bottom beside Tools button is a dropdown arrow. Click that then select Save Report as .TXT - pastebin the report.

Have you tried running while in a selective startup state? Follow the instructions on this support page carefully.

1 Like

I dont see it mentioned, but just in case, did you update the chipset drivers?

Link for that is `https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_Chipset_AMD_AM4_SZ_TSD_W10_64_V21126106_20210202R.zip

Main link if you need others: `https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download