AV 1.12 outrage is not justified

All those people who say: “You don’t really want Vanilla WoW. You are looking at it with rose tented glasses!” Are RIGHT about you guys freaking out over 1.12 AV.

Pre-nerf AV IS something unique.
Pre-nerf AV IS much more difficult to win.
Pre-nerf AV IS full of things you will never see in modern WoW. (mines/Korak)

What you forget is…

Pre-nerf AV IS severely imbalanced.
Pre-nerf AV IS incredibly frustrating.
Pre-nerf AV IS a waste of time for PVP’rs after exalted.

The reality is that AV will not pop on your server and rarely in your battlegroup (whichever way they go) if it was pre-nerf. (once it has been out for a month or so). It is not good honor per hour and it is incredibly frustrating to play.

The games are epic. Nobody is arguing against that. But once you experience it once or twice, you move on. You don’t go back. The battleground dies. Few people want to go into an AV for 8 hours at a time. storytime

I once played in an AV…went to bed…got back up in the morning and joined into the SAME AV.

People are not going to want to do that. Not even people who love classic WoW. Especially not PVP rankers or those seeking to get a little bit of honor in. Even if you aren’t hardcore ranking, sitting in an AV que for 30 minutes and then playing a 4 hour game for the same amount of honor as a 25 minute AB would take is…rather stupid. WoW is a progression based game at the end of the day.

Also, don’t forget that the npc’s in AV were incredibly frustrating. There is a reason their damage and health was nerfed and them moved. You can’t do much alone…heck with a 2-3 man group. You need a tank, healer, and good dps before you can even try to start farming honor giving named npc’s at strategic points of interest.

Don’t misunderstand me

I enjoy pre-nerf AV…once or twice. But why would Blizzard go through the trouble of recreating and enabling a form of a battleground that at the end of the day is not tuned, imbalanced (horde trick jump), and will likely die after people get their TUF.

Still worse is the fact that what AV becomes is a battleground full of lvl 51-59 alts trying to get their IBS or xbow early. Your games, as a level 60 with decent gear, will be ruined by scrubby afkers and alts. The games will drag on for an eternity. You simply WILL NOT do it.

YOU HAVE ROSE TENTED GLASSES HERE.

Look through my post history. I am against changes. I road them hard over the demo, reacted prematurely a bit…I admit, but still correctly. I want a good Classic WoW experience. But I also want to take a stand where it makes sense to. People taking a stand over AV pre-nerf are those who…

A) Never played it and simply want to experience it
B) Have a memory of playing when they were 8 years old and can’t coherently remember the bad parts
C) Are Alexensual fanboys who want to gripe and moan about every minute thing Blizzard does

Want to push for something? Push for there to be no cross-realm battlegrounds. Though that comes with negatives also, it has a much bigger point to be made about Vanilla nostalgia and feel. Taking a stand here and making a big deal about pre-nerf AV is…well…rather silly.

Thanks for reading, if you disagree I understand, but hopefully I made some points here for you to consider.

8 Likes

I see “honor per hour” and I just cringe.

4 Likes

Give it the duration of an average 1.5 AV match and most people will have moved on and stopped complaining about it other than a thread popping up here and there.

Then we can get back to our regularly scheduled sharding threads.

Though I will say that just because an AV match could last for days does not mean you needed to play it for days, and there isn’t a whole lot of difference in going to bed and waking up to get into the same AV or waking up to get into a different AV.

3 Likes

and :roll_eyes:

far from it

2 Likes

Original AV was one of those things that was nifty once in awhile but as a something to do routinely it kind of sucked.

I actually do not think you are correct about the honor gain… Old AV was actually the most efficient way of gaining honor at the time.

You can join and leave anytime you wanted. I don’t understand why that is a bad thing. You are there for the gameplay… It was worth going in, pvp/quest/whatever for an hour or two and leave. It made level 51’s actually have a way of contributing to the bg.
The game lasting so long was not something that was ever bad to me, it was the direct opposite. I don’t understand why that is bad? No one is forcing you to stay there the whole time? You stay as long as you wanted to O_o…

Its almost like complaining that GW2 RVRVR lasted too long… which makes zero sense, it is designed to last that long… and you aren’t expected to be there the whole time lol.
The game was like a real war.

3 Likes

So duration of one 1.5 AV game… A week?

With regards to video games; if given the choice between efficient or fun, I choose fun.

5 Likes

Pre 1.12 AV was something I did on my days off because 1.) I didn’t mind waiting in those long Dark Iron queues while I did other stuff and 2.) I usually had nowhere to go for several hours.

Yeah about that =P

This comment reeks of a retail player.

1 Like

Personally I would prefer if they had rolled out AV progressively starting with 1.5 thru 1.12 just so we could all get to play it the way it was for a little while at least.

However I agree the outrage is not justified when you say that…

People also forget how difficult zerging an AV in 1.12 really is when both sides are playing to win. (Not on a Pserver with a premade vs pug) There are many ways to stop a zerg. And when the zerg fails its all out war with your side ahead. And since the spirit for PvP will be so enthusiastic all around AV will feel epic and go on for a long time.

Also Blizzard is recreating classic as it was not as it is on your Pserver. We asked for Classic, and so were getting Classic. So relax and enjoy AV 1.12

People are just bored waiting for the game and are indulging in Classic forums roller coaster of feelings. Next week we get some good news and the ride is touching the clouds again. At the moment we have come down a pipe to a water splash.

Only mattered once zergs were enabled

Then don’t play it. Different strokes

Then don’t play it? Do you think more PVPers will play 1.12 after exalted?

Then what you did not enjoy would not be popping often. Your point?

Sounds like a tourist.

That is false. Plenty of us want that. People that don’t have 2 other BGs to choose from. Most people didn’t raid, that is not a case to nerf raids.

That was a good thing.

This may shock you, but many of us were there because we enjoyed the BG, not to simply honor farm. Crazy right?

OK

I am still understanding you. You are a GD wall-of-no troll. Go on…

Yup, still understanding you. Go on…

No, what you actually did was prove your wall-of-no troll status.

3 Likes

why is it sooooooo important for some players to shout down, what other players want to voice.
Here we are, full circle, once again the PvP community being told what to accept, some things never change.
Yeah, in the end, we will probably have to accept 1.12 AV, just like we accepted every other disappointment.
Heck we even accepted BG’s being turned into a version of LFR. to satisfied the constant whining of side dish PvE players.
Don’t worry, we will make our own fun like we always do, like South Shore and all the other places unsuspecting opponents walk alone.

I care more about the BG feeling complete. The removal of so many NPC’s reduces the large scale battle feeling that the original had. Of course I also want the battles to be long enough to enjoy the unique aspects of AV, like summoning Ivus or Ram riders.

AV was in a constant state of things being removed, removed, removed. That’s why I want the original back (with all the positive changes like bug fixes). Imagine if they removed Lucifron and Magmadar from MC because they were out of the way or something; madness.

4 Likes

Raids probably be nerfed so more people can enjoy them. Lucifron is “hard” and cannot be soloed.
Naxx has bones everywhere, gross. Probably should change the mobs in there to unicorns.

1 Like

I would also rather have an older version of the battleground.

Though the way these forums work most people will likely forget about all this in like a week, or when we get another announcement about what is or isn’t in Classic.

Agreed. This pre-nerf AV is something people “think they do, but they really don’t”.

Try turtling an AV on a pserver and see the response you get from people. It’s just laughable.

I played pre 1.12 av on northdale…its alright but I’d much rather do AB and WSG.

When it was 1.5 on my server AVs would last as long as 3-5 hours. I got severely bored after the first hour and left…there’s really nothing special about it :stuck_out_tongue: