Automated Likers

Creepy is not even a violation of the rules.

8 Likes

Let’s step back a moment, folk.

There’s a reason why harassment is defined pretty vaguely. This is something we should leave to Blizzard to think about.

We don’t know whether this is a forum “botting” situation, as there are numerous legitimate tools out there which analyse and perform actions on forums. Unfortunately, figuring that out is also out of our hands.

Furthermore, scripts have been run by third parties on these forums since the day they come online. Whether or not a third party action should or should not be allowed … is also in Blizzard’s hands.

At present, we don’t know whether it’s malicious, or just very stalky. If nothing else, it makes someone feel uncomfortable.

Anyway, I need to leave to meet someone. Cheers.

2 Likes

Wow…

I’m not sure how liking your post is a counter to worthwhile conversation. Also, not sure how it’s “being creepy”, but playing along that it is creepy, that’s not really something that’s against the rules.

If it works anything like in-game, that’s not what would happen. It would make sure that you don’t see their activity, including their likes. Limiting another player’s functions on this forum would not be in your hands.

I mean, that’s not proof of anything sinister. Someone, eight someones, agree(s) with what you are saying. Kudos.

Quite frankly, if you said that about me, I’d like the post just to be a smart aleck. Then I’d use the Report feature.

9 Likes

even if it was someone who was targeting you to like your post 8 times, i don’t see how that qualifies as creepy, against forum rules, or anything else. kind of weird i guess since you don’t know why. but why you’d want to/think it is reportable, i’m not sure.

FWIW, in my opinion, the Classic discussion forum has surpassed the, general discussion forum in terms of the wingnuts/flakes/trolls to posts ratio.

It’s not particularly surprising that there are folks on there that make other folks feel uncomfortable but liking posts to excess is not actionable.

Many of us are stalkers to one degree or another. There are posters on these forum whom I will always read because they so often have something worthwhile to say. I don’t consider myself to be a creep if I like a lot of their posts.
Sometimes I like a post because I learned something new but more often, I like a post because the thoughts in it were well expressed.

7 Likes

Or just people with nothing else to do on a Friday night sitting in the thread waiting for updates, now that they show in real time when you’re typing.

This is neither proof nor disproof, and this isn’t to chip away at your takeaway. Just to make aware that there are always two sides to every possibility, and jumping to conclusions helps no one.

8 Likes

It may well be a single person.

The forums treat different characters as separate users. Blizzard is currently working on a way to change this. In the past Blizzard has actioned individuals who abused this functionality. I think normally it has been abused to downvote people, and upvote one’s own posts.

Anyway. We don’t really have proof here, just suspicions and conjecture.

2 Likes

kinda wishy-washy to me.

5 Likes

Proof?

And? You and the OP were there for this, how is it not conceivable that others were too?

Ignore the “likes”. If you want to know how others feel about your post, look at the replies and posts after yours. It’s a better metric on the Classic forum.

I would think not, but there’s a limit on likes pure day anyway. I would be more concerned if a thread was getting reported and auto flagged before it being liked anyway. I guess I’m not seeing your perspective though.

3 Likes

I give random post likes all the time, and I don’t read the post

1 Like

I seriously don’t understand why you would complain about likes.

People will complain about anything

5 Likes

Change your post toon. I have see some using bots to post in the forum.
That would be a easy imavro script to write.

Why though? It’s not like they are in this forum liking their posts.

2 Likes

Because its creepy, and clearly a bot. And I don’t like someone doing it, even if they’re trying to inflate whatever I say. It’s not genuine approval.

See, this is the part I disagree with. Unless you’re referring to a different posting character. I looked at a bunch of posts and its definitely not happening on every post.

A “bot” wouldn’t care where you post or what you post, it would just click that like button.

In any event, liking someone else’s posts is hardly against any rules.

11 Likes

Nothing you have posted has proven there is a bot. None of your speculation proves there’s a bot. You personally spent all that time in those threads. What makes it so impossible for anyone else to as well?

7 Likes

Let’s try not to get bogged down into ‘proving’ things or justifying the reason the request is being made by the OP. It’s not really productive to the conversation.

The question asked is “Can I stop others from liking my posts?” and the answer to that is currently “No.” - the reason for the request, or perception of what might be causing the likes doesn’t really factor into the current answer.

13 Likes