Authenticator Support for Cricket Wireless

You just can’t custom text. It’s not the end of the world nor a hill to die on over being unable to put custom words in your group’s listing. You can still list your group and whisper people about the criteria you’re interested in.

2 Likes

But…but…I want to be mad. :rage:

3 Likes

Yeah if Blizzard is tying the Authenticator to post-pay rather than including pre-pay or “recharge” type services, that is 100% classism.

A phone you prepay/recharge should be able to access the authenticator service via wifi

IF this is true, this really sucks.

It could also be the phone you have has an OS that Blizzard didn’t include

You could talk to Customer Support or submit a report on the CS/Bug forum and give all the information (Cell Phone, OS, location, type of phone plan, wifi provider, etc).

2 Likes

I have service with their sister provider Total Wireless and had it with Net10 prior and I’m fine with the auth/sms too.

It’s how the numbers are flagged above the carriers level supposedly though, may not be something the carrier (Cricket,etc) can change. (Someone linked a thread before that mentioned this https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/blizzard/t/battlenet-does-not-accept-cricket-mobile-phone-numbers/11647/25)

1 Like

Even before they made this change with 9.1.5, I’ve seen folks come into CS having issues setting up an authenticator due to certain limitations with their phones/plans. It doesn’t exclusively cut out prepay things, it’s something hardcoded somewhere between point A and point B that neither Blizzard nor the providers seem to be able to nudge in the way it needs to be. There are some folks with prepay who’ve gotten it to work. There’ve been some folks with normal plans who cannot. It defies logic, unfortunately.

1 Like

You can get an android app emulator for your computer. That might be a good enough workaround.

It’s not about running the app, the authenticator is blocking me from adding my phone number

1 Like

Unfortunately, that alone is not enough.

1 Like

I see, that’s very unfortunate. Hopefully there will be a workaround soon!

I’m hoping the best for everyone affected.

My Mobile authenticator worked until 9.1.5 I used it many times with no hiccups. This patch comes and it says my phone number is invalid. Same phone, plan, etc. No changes. shrugs Would be nice if they mention “SMS required” on the LFG lock post. Because I also have a keychain authenticator which is not required for posting custom messages, it’s SMS protection, however In Game it says “Please add a authenticator to your account”.

These changes did nothing for the spammers. It’s obvious these changes alienated many of their consumers. I see more spammers now then ever before. All that was required was the poster having the key they want to run and all this authenticator fiasco would have been avoided. Remove keystones all together, make it achievement based. There were a lot of possible solutions, but now this has become nothing but a problem for many, including myself.

It’s quite naive to think a system change like this would remove 100% the spammers permanently. If that was the case, botting would be nonexistent years ago, but here we are. That argument doesn’t hold water. A real solution is for players not to buy the services from these chuckleheads.

Not sure what you are seeing, but since the requirement, I have not seen one “WTS” ad in the Group Finder. Not saying they aren’t there, or that they aren’t using other methods, but the overall net has been very good.

This change is aimed at Group Finder advertisements, not Trade chat spam.

I wouldn’t jump the gun into “many”. It’s certainly all relative, but this is something that actually will affect very few people, because as Leilleath said above:

You are welcome to suggest these things in General, or using the in-game Suggestion tool. But if the solution to combatting advertisements and spam were this simple, it would’ve already been done. I truly doubt that you’ve thought through these suggestions.

This can be a workaround, but I would caution that this is not a very secure solution. The entire point of 2FA is that the key and lock are separate, so if one is compromised, your account is still secure. If you have the Authenticator on your computer, if your computer is compromised, now your account is vulnerable.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

It is not, sadly. It now requires a text verification code via a valid cell number (one accepted by the system) to set up.

This is my one and only issue with the custom text block. Those that want to add their number but the system will not allow it for whatever reason.

1 Like

This started out in CS. Was moved over to GD before I even got my first post out. ^^

Ah gotcha. I started reading it when it was in CS, but the “class discrimination” made be facedesk so hard that I think I passed out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes