Authentic Experience vs. 1.12 data

Just roll out the nerfs/buffs/talent changes with the progressive phase patches, just like they’re doing with f*cking everything else. The process of implementing these changes isn’t difficult at all. The difficult part is actually mining the original data and making sure what they’re giving us is actual Classic.

1 Like

Why is this even a thing? It isn’t like people haven’t known for f*cking ever that it was going to be the 1.12 version of the game, because that’s the one they had the most complete code for. People were all in on #nochanges, and then wanted changes, so that they could get things that weren’t in the 1.12 version, because they wanted different mounts, or a different version of a battleground, or whatever.

4 Likes

Simple concept really. People don’t know what they actually want. They go with an idealized image in there head and say “Yeah… that is totally what it will be” only to find out that it isn’t. Truth is once people play Classic. They are still going to have fun. It is just easy to take an aspect of negativity and overblow it out of proportion. That is just human nature. In this case with Esfand, his concern is from not knowing what it will be. So again, negative aspect that gets overblown.

4 Likes

I’m still for keeping it authentic 1.12. I knew going into this that it wasn’t going to be difficult, because Vanilla WoW wasn’t difficult even in the early patches.

That’s why a lot of people used to say the hardest part about Vanilla raiding was organizing 40 people.

and simply buffing raid bosses wouldn’t produce an authentic experience. The only way to get that would be to have an authentic 1.1->1.12 patch cycle.

Retuning raids wont return class balance or threat to where it was in 1.1.

2 Likes

In the early months after the announcement of Classic, I was in favor of what is called a “Frankenpatch” around here. However, when Blizzard announced what they were going to do and why, I understood their reasoning, and I rolled with it, although I understood that it might be wonky in many ways.

I’m not really sure what Esfand thinks he’s going to accomplish here. He’s talking about really big, wide-ranging changes to Classic that I am not sure Blizzard is willing to make. And he’s talking about them within weeks of launch so I’m left a bit frustrated by the video. No I didn’t watch the whole thing. It, and he, irritated me.

3 Likes

Believe it or not, I coined the term Frankenpatch on my BFA character Dibullba. I do know what it was XD

Yeah I guess he is just running out of things to talk about. I like him, but what a weird hill to crawl on less than a month from release.

Just proving that I am not lieing about that.

1 Like

I agree it’s not going to be authentic.
I asked earlier why not make a progressive classic, starting with 1.1 and updating it as close to historical releases have happened as possible.

Been told I was asking too much of blizzard :man_shrugging:

1 Like

_https://drive.google.com/file/d/10VX4klI8ZbqQKIce7r7UZ6ItIpM5lft0/view

Here you have the “change list”. There were some direct nerfs but most of the nerfs are indirect from better itemization/talent/classe balance/debuff limit etc…

All of this it make us litteraly more powerfull, with a better knowledge of the game and a better hardware.

If your Vanilla’s experience was : facerolling every raids to Naxxramas. Damn, you were strong.

2 Likes

While not all the way to Naxx I did see plenty of guilds that managed to steamroll the earlier raids once their raiders figured out that standing in the painful things was bad.

Especially Molten Core, since it lacked any real mechanics in most of the fights.

Guilds that were already geared ? I mean they were outgearing the early raids ?

Because in mine, even with our pre-raid gear we managed to struggle in MC/BWL. Not because of the mechanics but because of the lack of dps/tank taking too much damage/healer oom…

Not the case in 1.12 with better itemization/talents…

1 Like

Esfand is making a living talking about Classic. That is an important thing to remember.

We know that private servers are off on a bunch of stuff. Even simple stuff like items in their BiS meta lists are off because some items use the TBC values, not the patch 1.x values.

Some things on private servers are unique to the scripting used on that server. For example, Battle Shout spam does great threat on some of them, and does nothing at all on others.

The Beta hasn’t been running for a bit now, and we don’t know what exactly they plan to patch buff/nerf etc for the August 26th release.

I’m not too worried personally.

They were guilds that were just starting raiding sitting in quest greens or dungeon blues.

My own guild went from struggling on Magmadar to attempting Ragnaros in literally one night once we made some adjustments.

There was no patch to buff us or overgeared people. We simply just got people to understand the basic “Don’t stand in the fire”. Blackwing Lair wasn’t even out yet at the time.

Looking back through the archives for old itemization, there was also plenty of items with amazing itemization even in the early days.

It seems like the biggest problem was that so many of us made mistakes like thinking T0 was actually good.

The word “authentic” has a pretty loose definition.

The strictest version is 1 for 1 recreation of the vanilla version through the timeline.

BUT,

made or done in the traditional or original way, or in a way that faithfully resembles an original.

This says they could use something like the Minecraft engine and rebuild Classic from the group up. Still would be authentic.

The fact that Blizzard is relaunching their own product is all it takes to be “authentic”.

Using 1.12 as the foundation is still 100% authentic.

1 Like

Seems like they would wipe

“Frankenpatch” has been term used in IT circles for years, maybe decades

3 Likes

There is no such thing as a unified authentic experience. That’s why Blizzard is using numbers, not feelings.

• Different players started at different times. Day One’s have a different experience to people who started with Naxx.
  • Different players had different intensity levels. A two year raider had a very different experience to someone who started raiding in June 2006.
  • Different players had different knowledge backgrounds. An EQ player had a much better grounding than a completely fresh player.

There is no way Blizzard can replicate what was someone’s experience. They’re creating an environment where we can create new authentic experiences.

The definition of Authentic that applies here is:

“made or done in the traditional or original way, or in a way that faithfully resembles an original.”

It doesn’t have to be exact. It has to be done in such a way that the underlying components of the game are faithfully rendered. They have done that. There’s no-one who can genuinely say that 90% of the game is exactly what it was in the last quarter of Vanilla.

2 Likes

I heard it at least 10 years ago when my Boss wanted to release new features to a company who wouldn’t upgrade to the latest version of the software because of another issue, so I’ll go with decades.

I think this is the thing that people get hung up on the most. I also think there is an issue in the logic of the video overall. The idea that we should move towards authentic Rag. In the end he wants the experince he had the first time he did rag, well what about the people that did rag in 1.12? Should we discount there experience in favor of the more difficult version where he despanwed?

He liked to play the 2 points of Authentic experience and no touching the data as 2 conflicting points when in reality its built on the idea of: We will not touch the 1.12 data AND we will give the authentic experience of the patch we have.

1 Like