Auction House Update

I like that you are working on solving the issue of single stacks, but would I be able to suggest that maybe instead of forcing people to buy an entire stack of something, to let them select the quantity they would like to buy from a stack?

I would think it would cause the people posting 1 item stacks to just post an entire stack, since people will still buy even just a portion of said stack. (But maybe still allow users to choose stack size - so it doesn't force them to sell all their materials, just an amount they would like to sell).

EDIT: Seems I was ninja'd just above with a similar suggestion.
It sounds like blizzard does realize the deposit change is a band-aid fix to a gaping wound that needs stitches at least and possibly amputation of a system and implementation of another.
The single stack thing isn't only a UI issue, but the slowness of a backend from what I can tell in the way individual Auctions are saved / stored in database along with the massive amount of queries.
Hopefully the reimplementation of the AH system is sooner rather than later as it has been talked about or mentioned by blues and devs for well over 3 years as one of the systems that has drastically fallen behind in times.
Heck it was behind in times when the looking for group system was implemented.
I look forward to the evolution of the AH system both frontend UI and backend database. I'm saddened by how long it has taken though, as for WoW it is one of the oldest examples of blizzards soon meme.
08/27/2018 07:55 PMPosted by Deathjammer
Sounds like its gonna hurt markets that move slowly.
As usual, a small group of people ruins everything for people who never engaged in the behavior being curbed.

On topic, I think it's a good stopgap. People are going to have to take the risk that their auctions don't sell and they lose big if they want to play this game of AH trolling.

But as others have said, it's a bandaid and the AH does need an update, bad.
The fix is first your hardware and 2nd better programming. While I hate the 1 item posts, this is not a decision worth moving on. It makes posting even a worse idea because I don't want to be undercut by 1cent and lose way too much in posting cost. This is a bad idea, not worth considering any further.

Instead just limit 5 single item posts per auction item. Don't allow a person to post 200 of the same thing as a single item. Wow, problem solved...it will just take effort now to program.
08/27/2018 06:35 PMPosted by Xial
We both know that the way to handle this is in a UI upgrade. Changing player behavior ... okay, fine. But what needs to be done is a UI update to how players can sort without addons. Then the ability to purchase multiples of the stack amounts listed. Collapsible by item and then username. I really hope you guys are working on this in the meantime. It's the right thing to do for your players!

Changing the ui won't help the lag though, as the database will still have to query all those rows to deliver you the condensed data. Selecting all the rows every time would be a lot slower than the last 50 or whatever.
Rather than attacking people selling individual items, do the developers feel that all these automation machines that are in the game are harming a lot of the economical and technical details behind the auction house?

I really do think a lot of the problem is all these people constantly scanning and sniping auctions, I think something can be said that if these procedural automation executions could be slowed down or stopped, we would all see a big improvement.

It's not like the AH was this way in Legion, the AH always seemed very fine in Legion, but I think you're seeing an influx in "goblin" activity this time around, and it's really hurting the playerbase by being allowed as well as actually just taking a huge amount of resources away when they do the mass scan and sniping strings.
08/27/2018 07:54 PMPosted by Phurrii
Ok so tell me how this is going to make the guild banks usable again? People are going to keep putting stacks of 1 up because you give them the deposit back on sale.

Haven't you guys been telling us for like 2 xpac's now that big AH changes are coming?

Hopefully this AH change, will also help improve the guild bank, some...??? :( The guild bank lag is just silly.
The core issue is the trade goods side of the database doesn't require searching.

I should be able to head to the AH and just say "buy 200 tidespray linen" and it gives me the cheapest 200.

Remove the trade goods from said searching/indexing and add a new UI system which allows that - and all the rest goes away.
I'm no Auction House goblin, but I do regularly sell an item in stacks of 20, 5, and 1 since being able to buy partial stacks isn't a thing in WoW. I don't like feeling as though I'm being punished for the actions of others.
I find it surprising that the AH was never overhauled.
I wouldn't mind buying 200 auctions of 1-stack if the Auction House were fast enough. Currently, because of the delay, it is difficult to buy even one single item. Sometimes you try to buy an item and by the time the bid is processed the item isn't available anymore.
So yeah, a faster AH should be a priority higher than reworking the UI.
Its a good first step but seriously just put a limit on the number of simultaneous auctions an account can post. Just put it at something like 100. It wont affect the normal player but it kills the people spamming thousands of single item posts or the ah barons who simply buyout entire swaths of the AH to repost for profit via price gouging.
1 Like
I'm not the biggest AH user, but can someone enlighten me how this will change anything? All the herb mats I put on the AH sell within a matter of minutes so long as I keep it within the normal price range. I'll still get my deposit back regardless of me posting a 200x stack or 200 singles because all BFA mats are and will still be selling like hotcakes for quite some time.
I really really hope that you have some data behind your decision. It looks like a throw-away effort from here.

People who are the problem have millions of gold and this won't change the behavior. Sure the deposit will be more but it's not like WoW money is a savings account - nothing is really lost from the seller standpoint.

There are multiple sound ideas in this thread - please look at those.
You all know you can sort the AH by stack size right?? LOLOL. WTF? Why is this even an issue when there are so many other bugs, and broken features to worry about MUCH higher on the priority list. This is ridiculous that this is EVEN on the radar... LOL woooow.
08/27/2018 08:58 PMPosted by Knitler
You all know you can sort the AH by stack size right?? LOLOL. WTF? Why is this even an issue when there are so many other bugs, and broken features to worry about MUCH higher on the priority list. This is ridiculous that this is EVEN on the radar... LOL woooow.

Unless you're paying people to do literally nothing but worry about the auction house (which if that were the case... where have they been? and where are real features that actually matter relating to it?) then this is an absolute waste of resources and time.
I was holding off on trying addons to see what changes would come. But your additional fee won't be enough to help because most of those people don't keep track of how much their deposit is. Looks like I'm now in search of a nice addon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
08/27/2018 08:58 PMPosted by Knitler

Play on any high pop server and try searching for bfa mats. its 20-30 pages of 1 item posts its practicaly unusable without addons that can buy those 1stacks for you or going through all those pages to get to the full stacks. It is hell.
1 Like
OR You could just change stacks into inventory, making it a single listing based on per item fee.

Adding higher deposit fees will just increase the price of the items because the benefit of single item stacks isn't removed with this. People do single stack posts to cover the results pages, preventing people from easily finding their competition.
08/27/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Thecheat
I'm assuming you guys have math that supports this change? As it changes nothing for successful auctions, this must mean that a non-insignificant percentage of these large quantities of single-stack auctions do not end up selling.

It means that if you're using TSM or looking an item up it won't take 1 hour for you to scan the entire market of 1 item posted 200 times