Auction House forces you to buy undercut items?

I am really struggling to see the problem.

19 Likes

It’s a matter of principle, especially on items that cost large sums of gold. Saving 1 silver is simply moot.

6 Likes

I like buying things at even gold amounts too, and since it is just a silver I feel like I’ve lost no economic clout if I decide to be a little quirky with my made up currency in my fantasy game featuring elves, dwarves and dragons.

I doubt they’ll change anything but I’m also missing the layer of choice they took out of the AH as a buyer. Solidarity fist bump.

So having an auction house alt or wanting to sell for a cheaper price makes you a troll? Come on.

14 Likes

The solution is probably minimum changes in the 0.5-2.0% range and free relisting.

At this point copper and even silver are like a fraction of penny.

1 Like

Just FYI, if you post something for cheaper it doesn’t mean you’re a jerk. You’re competing against other sellers, the person with the best deal wins. That’s how markets work in real life and in game.

14 Likes

When choice is taken away it’s a negative. It makes no difference why I want to buy from or avoid a particular seller, a real market allows me that choice. If I want to buy a new car and pay more to support one dealer vs another dealer, I should have that choice. I really don’t know why they don’t allow us to pick whichever price and seller we want to buy from, other than it makes the programming a little more difficult and they’re either too lazy or too stupid to do it.

It’s also less fun from a selling perspective. Before we could try to figure out the best combination of stack size and price in order to sell something fast, but now it’s just an undercutting war.

The only thing they really needed to do was just redesign the interface because the old AH just used too many pixels for each listing, that’s why scrolling for bags , for example, seemed like such a big chore when it really wasn’t a big deal. Oh well it’s too late now and just the latest example of fun being sucked out of this game.

10 Likes

You might not have much experience in retail or contracting.

People will definitely pay a higher price for many reasons, in real life. Reputation, perceived quality, brand names, locality of available product, shame/guilt/personal reasons, and more…
In game, with virtual items, none of that exists since there’s not, like, “organic” mystery meat or something.

So, first, the comparison to real life is highly dubious, since the market in WoW is nothing like real life. Then, if one wants to just apply “simple” economic concepts like supply and demand to the game, shouldn’t we also apply the concept of “vote with your wallet?” The motivation doesn’t have to be understood or liked, but it is what it is. If an economic power is removed from the “consumer,” that will probably not be well received.

I can definitely understand that the new AH interface hides alot of information that people could have used to “vote with their wallet” for whatever reasons they wanted to before. It provides much more convenience, it seems, sure. No more pages of clicking. Hiding information removes it further from being like ‘real life.’

Derailing the topic, this is also removing a small aspect of complexity from the game. I don’t really care that much in this instance, not being an AH-using person nearly at all, but removing complexity for convenience, in general, has to be carefully considered in a game like this. A foundational leg of the appeal of a long-lasting rpg is precisely the complexities of it. Rounding off rough corners is one thing, streamlining tasks and complexities is going further, can be good, and will usually have unexpected side effects. Since this isn’t the first complaint like this I’ve heard about the new AH, I guess AH-playing was one of the ‘complexities’ of the game for some. Rounding off the edges would have been, like, not making the old interface so slow when paging, and improving the interface generally, while providing the same information detail and purchasing style.

5 Likes

Actually I’ve worked in business most of my life, there were never any nuances or complexities in the World of Warcraft auction house. It’s a bit strange that you called my real life comparison to markets dubious, yet you’re talking about voting with your wallet. Just buy the thing you want and leave, you don’t need to know who is selling it. It should also be pointed out that undercutting on this version of the AH to get a quicker sale is pointless, it’s based on time posted, not sale price.

Edit: I agree that the market in this game is not the same as real life, but it is still a market none the less.

2 Likes

Do you honestly believe that or are you being a troll?

This often happens when new folks try to enter the existing market with power players in the AH.

How do you know the person that is undercutting is a “power-player, cheat, or scoundrel”?

Undercutting by 1s is dumb. If they post at the same price as everyone else, then their item will be sold first.

People undercutting by 1s probably havent updated their TSM or Auctioneer.

3 Likes

TSM works fine.

1 Like

New AH is a HUGE improvement over the old one. This should have been done years ago.

9 Likes

I couldn’t care less who the seller is now that idiots can’t post single stacks.

10 Likes

No. The new AH has removed the ability for you to “teach someone else a lesson.”

And good riddance, I might add. Quit obsessing over 1c or 1s and move on.

8 Likes

Just play the game like a normal human and spend the least amount of gold you can on the AH. Thanks.

5 Likes

i dont know if it still does this but when i was listing things last week the automatic behavior was that it seemed to want to undercut my post by taking a few silver off the lowest buyout. Might not even be someone wanting to undercut, some might just not be paying attention when they list.

No need to undercut unless you do a lot because the person who on last sells first anyways

I don’t either. I never do.

I like it. It’s like the Honey App for the AH. I also like it as a seller. Yes… you will buy my 1 copper undercut or you will buy nothing. It’s business, baby. :sunglasses: :ok_hand:

1 Like