Auction house changes, yay or nah?

Again this addon has been around for over 10 years. Yet it has only been an “issue” in BFA.

The addon isn’t the problem.

2 Likes

I’m not buying this at all. If it takes months for transmog pieces to move already, the demand is already pretty low. Also, even if there is only one on the AH, no one is going to buy it if the asking price is too high. Prices will come down once it sits there for months with no movement.

Another person who doesn’t sell transmog thinking they know how it works sigh

4 Likes

Wait… they are going to effectively eliminate the cycle of canceling and reposting?

Goodbye average AH player. Only the goblins will have the gold and the setup to just cut the cancel phase out and post, post, post, post, post, post, post, post, collect expired auctions, post, post, post…

I mean, that’s the solution to not being able to be competitive by relisting the item you want to sell, right? Way to fit the system to favor the top end.

I’d be happy to know I’m misunderstanding something… >.<

2 Likes

I don’t do it like it’s my profession, but I put transmog stuff up enough to know.

@ xianwae
its fine if you “don’t buy it at all” but this just proves why you shouldn’t even be in the conversation as you clearly don’t even understand basic economics.

2 Likes

Nope, that’s what i’ve started to do now. Only way around it without wasting my time.

2 Likes

Blizz should really just lock this thread at this point. Now its just people going back and forth repeating the same stuff over and over. If they can’t get what they need out of 1800+ posts idk what to say. No one is going to change anyone’s mind its just people defending playing the AH vs people who feel like they’re gatekeepers or some how ruin the economy by providing more good.

Well. Good to know. I’ll build up ~70 of each then re-enter the market and it will be business as usual.

Well, except for the higher profits as those who don’t do that leave the market because of lack of sales. So there’s the silver lining, I suppose. :confused:

None of this is going to work. Ban AH add-ons.

2 Likes

Lol, this is a video game. I understand basic economics just fine. WoW doesn’t exactly match basic supply and demand economics when the supply is solely based upon whether you want to farm an item yourself or pay gold to avoid the hassle.

It happens all the time. There have been pieces I would like to have as a buyer, but if the prices are ridiculous I’ll just farm it myself. Either the drop will happen for me or the price will come down enough that I buy it to do something else with my time.

Xianwae,

Yup then get used to farming yourself. You claim to understand basic economics yet you argue about facts that any economist would clearly understand. Go check on google what happens when the demand stays the same and the quantity sold goes down… the prices rise. So you can stop arguing about that , as its a fact and you know this as you now claim you magically “understand basic economics.” Yet you keep arguing against what you claim to understand. lol.

3 Likes

The addon was a problem last expansion already. Some servers you couldn’t use the auction at the start of the expansion and or patches. That is why they did that auction house rework (they didn’t just create that in one day). Every expansion adds more items to the game so what might have worked 6 years ago doesn’t today.

2 Likes

There is no way to eliminate undercutting short of controlling what players are allowed to post and how much they’re allowed to post it for. If blizzard does that there is literally no point in having an AH they should just have every sellable item sold by a NPC or tell players that if they want something they have to farm it themselves.

1 Like

Was that a function of the addon or the population or both?

I totally remember posting fine in Legion even on Illidan (high pop). It might not have been as “responsive” but it never flat out didn’t work. So that’s a BFA problem.

And hardware improves, addons improve, more memory is added, etc.

Also - not sure you understand how the scans work. You aren’t scanning the entire AH - you are scanning based on latest posts (snipe), or whatever search criteria you put in (either item name, group lists, current auctions, armor type, etc.).

1 Like

There is no way to eliminate undercutting anyway, since it’s the exact nature of auctions. That’s how auctions work, whether it’s an actual auction or, in WoW’s case, a reverse auction. In this case, sellers constantly one “down” each other until a buyer says “Ok, that’s low enough, I’ll take it.” Mass canceling is more the problem, since a player without addons would have to individually go through more actions themselves.

There is no cost of goods sold here other than the time and effort someone is willing to invest to try and get it, so there isn’t exactly a floor that people aren’t willing to necessarily go beyond outside of what the item vendors for.

Since this is really a reverse auction house, what would help is knowing there are buyers. We essentially are sitting in a crowd shouting prices out without knowing there are buyers there to hear it, short of when things actually get purchased. If buyer’s could post what they want, rather than seller’s posting what they have, maybe you could actually have real competitive “bidding” with offers to sell. Especially if everyone simply posts how little they are willing to part with their item for once. Otherwise it will just wait until the final minute and get a crap ton of action.

Well you started with repeating me, you cannot stop undercutting without doing things that are effectively removing the AH. There are always buyers, the wealthy sellers know this and don’t lower the price to try to entice buyers so as others have already told you, lower supply will mean rising prices. Most of the time lowering the price doesn’t actually even bring in buyers, when there is no competition maintaining your price or raising it is not a bad thing, as a matter of fact most people in the real world will tell you if you’re selling too easily your price isn’t high enough. I actually have sold more product IRL by doing nothing more than raising my price. Higher price creates a higher perception of value. Of course this assumes you have no competition, which is likely if you neuter the supply lines as blizzard has done.

3 Likes

@ naptime
You are exactly correct, and people that don’t see this are naive.

1 Like

The issue is undercutting en masse through scan/cancellation/reposts, not actually undercutting. Which is the problem the addons are creating through massive scans, cancellations, and reposts by a select few.

Undercutting is normal competition. Addon assisted undercutting has apparently, by Blizzard’s own data, caused issues.

You guys keep assuming this as some basic fact. Eliminating mass scan/cancel/reposts isn’t going to lower supply no matter how much you say it’s going to, and if prices do go up it just encourages farming more to get in on it since there is no limit to supply other than time and RNG.

I’m just repeating myself now. Obviously time will tell since Blizzard has honed in on this as an issue that needs addressed. Can only see what happens at this point. I just know that, for me personally, none of this is going to change my activity in game of farming old instances and selling stuff :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If you think that blizzard believes that addons are the problem but aren’t solving it by removing the functionality the addon needs (something they’ve done to way more popular addons like DBM and BigWigs) then you should stop posting and start thinking more. The addon isn’t the issue and I don’t believe Blizzard thinks it is or they’d have just killed it.

1 Like