Auction house changes, yay or nah?

Yeah. Paying attention before posting things is really difficult.
/sarcasm
So yeah, tough luck.

2 Likes

This change is basically telling a small percent of the player base who play to play the economy to quit WoW and go play Eve Online.

I can’t imagine why they despise these players so much.

3 Likes

That’s nice.

I’m fine with being undercut, obviously.

What is less okay is finding out that with - for example, enchanting - there are 2-3 people cycling 4 copies of each enchant (2 stacks of 2 each) at the front of the market forever, thereby ensuring that unless I participate in the same behavior, I’ll go weeks at a time before something sells.

Blizzard seemed to want to do something about it, so I’m giving them feedback on how well it worked.

1 Like

Maybe each account can have 3-5 free cancels per month, as a treat.

1 Like

If the AH Goblins are upset, then Bliz did the right thing.

2 Likes

Your situation is not the norm. And if they gathered all those materials and items, he has every right to sell them on the AH. If it is a bot it should be banned, if it is not, sucks to be you I guess. Time for a server change.

4 Likes

I am appreciative that you relaxed the throttle. However I did read through some of the replies and did not notice this brought up yet.

The reason for the mass cancel scans. You created this problem yourself with the First In Last Out nonsense. Canceling wasn’t a problem before because most people didn’t spend that much time canceling with the old AH. But with the way the new AH is set up it forces people to cancel frequently to stay competitive.

So please can we not insult the gold making community by saying it’s our fault when you created the circumstances that caused the problem in the first place.

9 Likes

While the relaxing is welcome, some people (not bots, people) will still be affected. So while I appreciate the feedback from Blizzard, can we please come clean once and for all and admit that the way the AH is designed will always lead to cancel/undercut wars? Whether or not there’s an addon that makes it easier is irrelevant. The entire AH experience/workflow will always tend to a cancel/undercut war, not just because there is one guy constantly doing it, not just because of bots, but because a given player is not the only player in the game.

Is it so unreasonable to want one’s own auctions to sell, then look for the best way to make it so? Reading some of the comments it feels that some people would be happy if this was a single player game, and they were the only ones posting auctions, and wish for a Blizzard NPC to buy them.

If you discourage cancelling (either by throttling, some other penalty or outright removing it from the game) but do nothing to change the design of the system, you might as well make it so that which auction actually gets sold when somebody clicks “buy” is completely random. That would really make for a level playing field. You no longer, as a seller, have any say in when your auction will sell. No reason to cancel, no reason to repost. Heck, make undercutting impossible. Set fixed prices on every material, and fixed prices on crafts based on the material price. It’s going to be random when you auction gets sold. You want to sell? This is the price. Your auction will (or will not) be picked at random from the entire pool whenever somebody buys something.

Either that, or accept that the AH design will always lead to this, and if this is not desired, change the design. A system of buy orders instead of sell orders would be much fairer, or worst case scenario, it would never lead to cancel/undercut, because there’s nothing to cancel/undercut for. You could even have a mixed system of both the current AH and one where buy orders are placed. Come to think of it, it is one of the main uses of trade chat, when ppl offer to buy something via COD.

Just my two cents. And as somebody who used the AH quite frequently, I would sign up to test any of these systems in a split second.

5 Likes

Its feeling a lot better now. According to the notes the throttle has been relaxed except in cases of cancel auction actions. I think the only change that may be needed at this point would be a “cancel all” button that dumps all of the player’s auctions to their mailbox that is considered a single action.

I don’t personally do cancel/repost cycles very often. What I do do though is hop on an hour or so before my auctions expire and cancel them so that I can get my reposting done for the day. The ability to just cancel everything as a single action, versus doing what addons do by sending a hundred cancel requests via mouse wheel spins or individual searches to see what’s been undercut, then cancelling based on that info, would be a boon. I don’t know how the AH is coded though if it would still be carrying out multiple individual cancellations and bogging down the server, so that might not work.

ETA: Where I really notice the throttling still is cancelling transmog. Since by its nature as gear it isn’t stackable like potions, the throttle feels like its kicking in right away. A daily reposting of a few hundred pieces of gear isn’t feeling worthwhile to do. For everything else, especially crafted items and consumables, it feels fine.

Please fix the cancel scanning as well. I just tested it and it doesn’t affect me as I don’t cancel that many scans. What this change is going to hurt are new players who don’t have the money to buy 12 of every single item, to undercut without canceling. All newer players have to compete is their time and effort, if you take away their ability to use their time to keep up, then they lose. If you want to help newer players, then give them the ability to keep up.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t mind throttling cancel scans at all.

Most reasonable AH players barely do them. Running cancel scans every 15 minutes to an hour though? That’s going to clog the system.

As somebody who enjoys posting transmog, this is a fair compromise.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Very much this too. Most of us are more than willing to help test anything AH related. What’s more, the addon authors are willing to work with Blizzard towards an optimal outcome for everyone. Their recent removal of sniping capabilities from TSM is a good example. I can’t imagine how much lag nonstop searching without buying was causing.

5 Likes

When it comes to fairness, too, the snipes really just came down to who was running the addon.

Posting stuff? It just streamlines it and saves people time.
Sniping with addons though, that’s way too much, imo.

2 Likes

You guys do realize most goblins don’t cancel constantly right?

Usually they keep enough stock so they can keep undercutting you repeatedly without having to cancel.

Then maybe after they’ve exhausted their stack of 200 (5 per post) will they go cancel all the undercut ones and repeat the process.

It is super inefficient to cancel, run to mailbox, run back, post, rinse, repeat.

3 Likes

When I was farming my brutosaur, I was cancel scanning on and off.

Ain’t inefficient when half your stock sells in a couple days in a “slow” market.

The big posters on my realm are just using multiple accounts to bypass the throttle altogether. It’s very hard to have my auctions up for more than 30 seconds without being undercut.

It seems that the decision to go ahead with this throttle was made with haste and without much regard towards the effects that it would have on the community.

Please reverse this throttle policy altogether. I already can’t compete with multi-box farmers, I really do not want to compete with multi-boxers at the auction house too.

2 Likes

Also, looks like the changes are actually quite nice!
Didn’t get throttled posting my transmog and material stocks this morning, and trust me, I don’t have a huge amount of it right now, but I did get throttled with the earlier iterations.

I could also post my pets manually without having this weird issue where it just wouldn’t post if I clicked create auction too quickly.

Thank you for listening Blizzard.

Now, if you could do something about multi-boxers flooding the economy with inhumane amounts of material/transmog, that’d be great.

2 Likes

The thing is, multiboxing is very achievable for the average Joe, all you need now is an extra 120k a month token price to get into it, a lot of farms don’t require you to have the latest expansion so you can just use the free base game.

For cancel scanning I’m having to do it on multiple accounts now, it’s just stupid that I’m having to do that, if changes are reverted I can just go back to doing it once/twice a day on my main bank alt.

Well, they could simply alleviate the problem entirely by blocking all AH add ons, and insisting we use the AH UI alone. They haven’t done that, and I’m not sure other game companies wouldn’t have when their game system was being effected by the use of outside software.

My input is, deal with it.

Ah, so you are just someone who doesn’t post much transmog, makes sense. When it’s something that doesn’t effect you then it doesn’t matter.