Auction house changes, yay or nah?

like 8.3 AH, dislike these changes: instead AH redesign to not reward camping

The AH has fewer features than most other MMOs and has a decade+ old design that rewards camping the AH. Someone who spends six hours a day at the AH will make more than someone who only spends three. a/k/a players who inexplicably leave the AH are penalized. This change does not address that, it just makes them less efficient. It also gives bad people using against-the-TOS software a larger advantage since they do not care about boredom.

You can design an AH that minimizes all of that. I am not a game dev, but just some off-the-cuff ideas that IMO show you can greatly reduce the value of AH camping.

1. Buy orders - like almost all other MMOs have. Probably reduced AH fee for selling to buy order to encourage instant sales not camp wars
  2. Ways that adjust prices without camping. eBay’s allows you to post a public bid and a private amount that it will increase to but not exceed if outbid. If you are willing to buy/sell Zan for 25g, you should not have to keep rescanning the AH every two minutes. There are a number of solutions better than the existing system where the only option is lots of AH scans.
  3. Canceled items are returned several hours later (or at their original expire time)

I would have gone the other way on repost wars: FIFO with quanta (like the BMAH.) Someone who posts at 25g will sell before your new 25g post, but you can’t post at 24g99s, you can post at 24g or 23g. Things will quickly sell because of price, not amount of time at AH. In the 1c undercut of 8.2 or 8.3 LIFO, you could have dozens of reposts without a change. If getting to the head of the line lowered prices by a couple of percent, dozens of reposts would get it sold. Like so many things, works better with buy orders in place.

If there were a way for the AH to automatically match undercuts, I would prefer a seven or eight day post time to minimize the amount of posts I need to do.

I also see bid price as an anachronism and would just simplify things by removing it.

If the current system is a band-aid until a new AH in SL prepatch (please no AH revamp at launch), that is fine. But this change just annoys the power users without significantly addressing the problems.

Uh… I can’t believe this has to be explained, but here goes.

Let’s say you have an item, a rare weapon. It’s a super rare drop. But it has a weird appearance. The only people who want this would be ultra-collectors who want to collect every transmog piece in the game.

This item has a “sale rate” of .01. This means that it has roughly a 1% chance, based on historical data, of selling each time it’s posted on the AH. If we use 24 hour posting times, then in terms of days, this could be like 100 days/reposts to get a sale.

But when that sale comes, the person who wants it will be willing to pay even “crazy” amounts for it because it is SO rare and it is an item he desires for his collection.

So let’s say this ultra-rare item sells for 150,000g (very standard for rare transmog).

Basic math time:

150,000 gold / 100 days = an item that is worth 1,500 gold per day, at a minimum, assuming the worst possible sale rate and that it doesn’t sell faster.

That’s why people bother with transmog. It’s basic math.

2 Likes

you say “like almost all other mmo’s have” but I honestly don’t know of any that have buy orders except GW2

First it was “the stuff sells” now it’s “it takes months to sell”.

Maybe other players - and Blizzard - don’t want you taking up AH space with junk for months before somebody finally buys it.

They basicly took the biggest thread.

I can understand that for something that is truly rare, I mean green gear that I could go run one or two dungeons and come out with 3-5 of.

1 Like

taking months to sell…doesn’t mean it doesn’t sell? lmao wow…get a grip. it STILL SELLS.

still sells eventually, but that is why that kind of stuff sells for much less, however a bit more often.

Tewa, assuming you don’t want to comment on / apologize for your rudeness and hostility from earlier posts on this thread, answer this then: Why does it bother you that items are “cluttering” the Auction House? How does this impact you in any way whatsoever?

Just search for specific items you want. Or search within a range using the tools the basic Blizzard UI gives you.

What is the problem here? The search function on the AH is there for a reason. Instead of digging through page after page of green items (…why?), just search for what you want specifically.

Chromatic sword rings a bell right on that post. If they didn’t sell EVER we wouldn’t post them.

Basicly, they like big numbers. They will also make changes with tweets that get a lot of likes/retweets.

Indeed.

The notion of “This green item is listed for 500g therefore it is worth 500g and somebody will buy it for 500g.”

Of those 3 things, only the first is actually true.

And so people list their 500g item for months on end.

What I wish they could implement is a way to randomly select who to buy from in a stack of same priced items.

For example player A, B, and C have various amounts of widgets up for sale at the same price point, Player D wants to buy 100 of them. he presses buy on the auction that player A,B and C are listed on. The game selects player B as the person whos auctions get sold first… if player B sells out before Player D’s desired amount is obtained then it selects from player A or C to fulfill the remaining amount.

No cancel scans needed to make sure you are last in queue needed anymore and everyone at that price point has a shot at sales. That being said it might encourage people to list items cheaper instead of just relisting like now. Bottom line is undercutting is happening on the AH regardless (old AH system or the new one).

I don’t see it sell for more than 10k very often unless it’s revealing stuff though, yet people still post it for that much week after week.

There is a few fundamental issues with doing what they did here.

1. They didn’t even mention this before “hotfixing” this. This is a huge thing to any seller on a scheduled that sells more than the hard cap of 50 or whatever it is now. You cant just take a big dump on a huge part of your playerbase without even mentioning this was a problem in the first place.

2. This isn’t a solution and anyone with half a brain, knows this. Its a bandaid to a larger problem. The problem is blizzard need to rebuild the api from the ground up, invest in new servers and thats expensive and takes time. In the end, Its much easier and cheaper to throttle, instead of actually fixing the AH properly. All they need to do is make the ah more efficient and handle way more QUES. Instead, blizzard are underhandedly blaming sellers for their poorly built API , which is unreal. Lets get back to reality blizzard. You need to Rebuild the rebuit ah so it can handle more ques, stop blaming us.

3. I don’t think blizzard actually realize how important goblins really are to the stability of the economy of servers. If you think prices are expensive now, just wait a few weeks. Everything will go up much higher once goblins stop posting and there are fewer sellers selling those items. those items will become less supply with equal demand so prices will raise.

4. Also certain lower value items and xmogs will simply go up in price and/or be harder/ impossible to find on the AH.

5. Its pretty bad when wow classics AH is better and faster than the “newly built” retail version of the ah. I thought the whole point of blizzard rebuilding the AH was to make it faster and make it accept more ques, not make it look pretty and nerf it to the ground and blame sellers for their weaksauce API.

6. Every time i think blizzard makes a few good moves, Such as listening to player feedback within the ptr and alpha… they pull something like this, and prove they are still are clueless to what their own playerbase wants and needs.

7. They are literally segregating and blaming the sellers in general for their piss poor que system they have built for the AH. Instead of blaming us for using the 20 year old system they built. Blizzard need to sit down and actually recode this dated system and fix the CORE issues mentioned within the AH. Basically, in short, get the system accepting more ques and sending ques faster. Remove all this throttling garbage and fix the real issues with the AH please and thank you. This game will never get HUGE if they don’t fix the core game play issues such as the AH… why wasn’t this fixed right the first time?

I honestly thought that what they were planning with the AH revamp, but since the new rebuilt AH has been in retail is actually overall slower, not faster. Instead it seems they just put a fancy new skin on the AH and didn’t actually fix any of the CORE AH issues.

Fix the core issues and stop punishing players. I’m not sure when blizzard is going to figure out they have to stop “punishing” players.

4 Likes

This post has over 6k views and only 19 likes. Very strange.

This change is a big NO for me. The 25 actions per minute just seems absurd. I am by no means a hard core auction house player. Most of my auctions are transmogs / pets, which I have hundreds that I have collected. These items take time to sell and require constant re-posting ever 48 hrs. It typically takes me 15 minutes to do my re-posts, the other day it took well over an hour. I don’t fully understand the problem you are trying to solve, but you need a different solution. Just my two cents.

Well, they’re not on my server cluster. Also, fwiw, if something is mispriced, I don’t see a problem with buying it to sell at what it’s worth.

I’m not saying repricing doesn’t happen, just that it doesn’t last. There are too many sellers.

Because it degrades the AH, and server speeds and causes problems. Which Blizzard has stated.

1 Like

If you literally don’t know how to make gold you can’t buy anything on the AH regardless of realm.