Auction house changes, yay or nah?

This says it all right here.

NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS. So why are the developers breaking things instead of, you know, fixing the actual problems of lag and whatnot by improving the servers or finding some other solution besides actively hurting their players? Seriously!

3 Likes

oh, Blue post didn’t go into detail how it worked, It made it sound like it was some add-on doing it while they were away from the computer or something. I know some realms 1-3 people control the entire AH but these are mostly dead realms.

I don’t have a problem with it. I don’t think a small handful of people should be able to control that auction house.

Obviously this change was made to throttle your gold production, for token sales, and to extend your playing time.

How can no one see this?

1 Like

Cancel+undercut will still produce just as many queries if not more than cancel+repost though.

2 Likes

No this solution is fine.

I don’t want buy orders and if I am on at 6 pm and my auctions are running out at 7 pm and I won’t be on then I want to be able to mass cancel them. I shouldn’t be penalized because people want to have their life revolve around that auction house.

And when all the people who buy tokens with gold leave because of this, and the gold price for tokens drops, who’s going to buy them? 117k per 20 bucks is already low, we’ve seen upwards of 200k.

1 Like

Why? You shouldn’t. Forum is 0,03% of playerbase consists of always angry vocal minority. You want feedback - you make ingame polls.

2 Likes

The people who want cheap alt accounts?

Not nearly as many. After a period of time the price will stabilize, where people don’t want to undercut anymore as it’s not worth listing. Currently, the process has no end until the items are all sold as there is no reason to undercut, just stay last in the pile.

And I don’t profess to be a systems expert, but I wouldn’t think twenty different prices in the system would help much either.

Ah it sounded proactive where after ANYONE hits 25 interactions it would throttle that character. I was suggesting that it takes overall activity into account instead of immediate activity of the toon.

Specific feedback as requested

1. People like myself who sell a large number of items simply by design (that would be YOUR game design) such as glyphs, battle pets or transmog, are adversely affected by the posting cap and wait. As so many others before me have posted, I play the game normally and now my transmogs, which take weeks or months to sell, now just take too long to post in order to make it worthwhile. I love farming old content, that’s what I do. It means I have a large number of single items to post. I post them once, maybe twice, per day - and I don’t cancel.

2. I’m still getting the “item not found” error message at the mailbox when collecting my auctions or anything else in the mail. Not entirely related, but could very well be part of the problem. I do not have Fast Loot enabled.

3. I absolutely loathe how this was done. It was hotfixed out of the blue after 15 years with no heads up, no warning, no communication of any kind in any way. The auction house addons, which so many are complaining about, have been in use all this time. It would have been so very, very easy to ask for feedback and suggestions before jumping right in with a sledgehammer.

4. I also absolutely loathe the timing here. It seems like more of a power play to prevent players from getting the AH mount than it does anything else. Again, I ask, why now and why this way? Why would you do this to your paying subscribers and player base? It’s as if you keep making boneheaded power moves to high five each other over when you could have fixed it in a comprehensive, constructive way that wouldn’t have pissed off a large portion of your player base. For your talk about “the very few,” there are a lot of people angry here.

Seriously, why tf didn’t you just slow down canceling or make it so that people could only scan AH prices once an hour or something along those lines? Or add a timer to how long it takes to receive cancelled auctions?

I hate it, I hate the timing of it, and I hate how it was done.

And - get this - I’m not a “goblin” and haven’t been for years.

**corrected a spelling error

17 Likes

Well said dude

2 Likes

Give that man a medal.

2 Likes

Blizz states it’s the database getting queried that is the issue. The contents of the database will not likely affect its speed much.

Also they could add a mandatory undercut amount for someone that delists items. If you attempt to list an item you delisted within the past 48 hours you must undercut by 10%(?). Just to throw an idea out there. This would also slow down the constant relisting of items at such a fast pace.

1 Like

Pass this on to whoever came up with this hamfisted modification:
“Don’t fix something that isn’t broken.”

3 Likes

They could also let items stay on the AH longer. Instead of 48 hours how about 5 or 7 days. Perhaps make it so that the longer options have the option of being canceled but the 12,24,48 hour options cannot be canceled?

4 Likes

It still feels awful. 80/min is better, but as someone who has 60+ different glyphs to manage it still feels rough. When shadowlands hits and I’m also juggling two dozen enchantments, 6-8 alchemy items, a dozen optional reagents, etc. this will become unbearable.

Could you please actually elaborate on what it is you’re trying to fix?

If it’s the cancel-scanners then could you please just limit the cancel api call?

If it’s the “unfair advantage” that AH sniping addons give, can you instead re-engineer bulk scanning and put a rate limit on that?

I presume the issue is that you can’t tell the difference between someone trying to post/search for 1200 transmog, and someone scanning constantly for “deals”. Would it be possible to implement a bulk query so that scanning/posting lots of items can be done in a handful of calls, and then rate limit that so that it can’t be used constantly?

That way someone just relisting their auctions uses a handful of bulk calls (say a dozen), but someone running the sniper would still get throttled because they’d need hundreds of bulk calls to be effective.

If your goal is to reduce load, please improve how we interact with the AH rather than just throttle us.

If your goal is to reduce the value of ‘sniping’ or ‘cancel scans’ then take action that limits just that.

tl;dr: posting 1000+ transmog is incredibly painful and it shouldn’t be. Posting 80 glyphs is painful and it shouldn’t be. If your intent was to target abuse of the system, you failed because you’ve also destroyed one of the most common ways to interact with the AH for the last 15 years along with it.

10 Likes

Makes one wonder? Are people not buying enough tokens? Does Blizzard want us to spend $1k on tokens for the AH mount? It sure feels like it.

5 Likes