Auction house changes, yay or nah?

Respectfully, that’s simply not true. Trust me - I tried using TSM for years and sure it automates certain aspects of posting and purchasing on the AH, but no add-on can “automate” the economy, nor can any add-on teach you how your server’s economy works.

That’s like saying Azeroth Auto-Pilot is the downfall of WoW’s leveling system, or DBM is the downfall of the raiding scene.

6 Likes

Same thing as auctioneer, auctionator, and every other auction addon.

Hell, you can do that with the MAIN WINDOW now because it shows you current auctions.

2 Likes

Every post / cancel needs an action

3 Likes

I enjoy three things the most in this game: raiding, m+, and goldmaking.

Now that we are at the end of the xpac I no longer raid, and even m+ is starting to slow as fellow guildies are taking a break.

The majority of my interest in playing now is goldmaking and this “fix” makes it incredibly annoying to try to do this.

I post Battle Pets up on several servers some I only put up about 50 and on 2 or 3 I put up about 100 to 150.

I tried this afternoon to repost my auctions that I let fall off (as in I don’t cancel my auctions) on a server with about 50 auctions.

Things went fine until about 30 were ready to post with TSM and it slowed down precipitously (huh thinking about it your actions with this hotfix fit the other definition of the word as well).

I stopped the queuing up of the auctions and tried to post them which took quite awhile for each auction to go through.

The time to post these few auctions was worse on this medium pop server than a full pop before this hotfix.

I will no longer be posting Battle Pets up on any server until this is revoked as the time involved is not worth the effort.

And if this change is not revoked or significantly improved I will not be renewing my sub, after it expires, until SL.

3 Likes

Just so I understand. Blizz spent a whole lot of resources to upgrade the AH because people were posting 100s of stacks of 1 item which was slowing down the AH.

And now they are purposely slowing down the AH??!?

Jerk move Bliz. Jerk move.

ETA: I’m trying to sell things on the AH so I can make the 800k I need to buy the AH mount which you are taking away at end of xpac, and now you’ve made that even more difficult.

14 Likes

At this point in the expansion transmog hunting and trading is the game for me, this just killed it. It would seem that Blizz just shot themselves in the foot as well, as many traders use gold to buy tokens to pay for their subscription which costs 20 dollars as opposed to the normal sub rate of 14.99 and lower. I was already messing around with LOTRO and ESO, I guess this is just another nail in the coffin, not that Blizz cares, which is fine.

2 Likes

Don’t see the issue, personally. It might need tweaking, but it’s only a per minute thing, so that isn’t that bad. If it was per hour or per day I could see an issue.

2 Likes

Dude… are you saying that the app does all the work, but because I have to hit “POST” 25 times it isn’t automated? That’s a pretty weak statement on your part.

1 Like

The mistake was bringing this conversation into General, where there will always be the “ive got mine”'s, the fanbois, the devils advocates, and the pure trolls.

“Oh look see general agrees with us” blizzard will think to themselves.

Pretty much the only thing General is willing to fight for is cosmetics, like allied races and eye colors.

Make this conversation and issue about the reskin glyphs and Transmogs and General will be putty in your hands.

The changes are acceptable. It’s better in some ways and alot worse in others.

I do miss being able to buy low and sell high on alot of items like I could before though.

1 Like

It isn’t automated.

Filling in the blizzard api string for setauctionbuyout() or whatever it is, isn’t anymore automation then any other addon out there.

4 Likes

As a fairly casual player, the changes make the game less enjoyable. It will probably be impossible for me to maintain a database of auction house prices and sell my goods in the future.

3 Likes

I brought it into general so there’d be a place to discuss the changes, as the other two threads about it start off primarily negative.

5 Likes

This whole thing is dumb. Their stated reasoning makes no sense (all addons provide competitive advantage).

Tell me, if instance capacity was low enough to be adversely affecting everyone would people be okay with the solution of “you can only zone into a dungeon once every 30min as most people don’t complete a dungeon within 30min”? No. You add capacity or otherwise improve resource usage.

The AH (and its associated addons) have functioned like this for 15+ years. 8.3 even supposedly reduced load.

Blizzard had all sorts of options here to meet their stated objectives:

• They could improve the performance of the existing infrastructure (aka add resources)
  • They could re-engineer the backing api to be more effecient (graphQL, smaller data loads, etc.)
  • They could throttle the things that actually are the problem (overabundance of cancel scanning, trolling the entire AH looking to snipe things)
  • They could change how the AH functions to be less resource intensive (buy/sell orders)

Instead they passed the problem onto their paying customers with some BS reasoning.

It’s a good time to remember that “that minority” is the group of people who are making it possible for you to find that transmog you’re looking for, or always ensuring the glyph you need is available, or keeping enough crafted gear made to gear your alts. The WoW economy is, and always has been, backed by the ‘minority’ of players because the average person does not farm endlessly or take the time to keep rare items posted.

Blizz did this in the “dead of night” with zero feedback. That is not how you treat your community.

14 Likes

I post like 7 things before it starts bogging down to being unusable. Ive worked myself up to having over 200 transmog and toys, and I’m not going to pay this company to sit around clicking a button for half the night because they want to punish me. I’ll come back when the next expansion drops, but unless they tweak this to be something reasonable, I’m out.

1 Like

Overall it seems response to throttling is pretty negative though, even here.

2 Likes

Reposting from the locked thread w/additions.

This is a really upsetting change. I used to be a hardcore raider until IRL changes meant I could no longer do that - but “playing the AH” has kept me in the game, kept my subscriptions ticking over, with the hope that one day I will be able to “play properly” again. The AH is literally what keeps me here. I’m not even a very big goldmaker, I’m just here keeping things chugging along casually because I’m not ready to let go and unsubscribe from WoW.

This morning on my main bank alt I had 112 items to post. A mix of enchants, transmog, bits and pieces. I don’t feel this is a terribly excessive amount. I am quite casual when it comes to making gold, but again, it’s what keeps me active in the game. Trying to post 112 auctions right now is brutal. I’ve been reading that even non-addon users have been coming up against a brick wall when manually posting small amounts of items. This is just awful.

The new AH gutted the bulk of my income through trade goods. That sucked a bit, but I understood that the AH revamp would help many people, so I didn’t complain - I adjusted. With the Winds of Wisdom buff active, I decided to finally level alts to cover crafting professions that I had never bothered with in the past, to diversify. Again, I am not a super-goblin, but wanted to expand what I was posting to try and bump up my income in SL a little more. But if listing crafted items is going to be this painful, I have zero incentive to have those crafters, and so zero incentive to level new characters.

This is so disappointing and seems like a “fix” that has been implemented to put a veneer on the AH’s flaws rather than actually address them (much like the terrible deposit fee fix that was in place for far too long while the new AH was developed). TSM, Auctioneer etc have been in place for over a decade - why are they suddenly now an issue for the economy? What changed?

Do we not contribute to the economy? How is it helpful for a server’s economy if the AH feels like too much of a chore for people to bother with it? Remember when deposit fees on old world goods were utterly ridiculous and so people just stopped posting them for months and months? Well now we’ll go back to that again because nobody is going to want to chew up their posting budget/playtime on old world goods. Just like with the deposit fiasco, many things will either disappear from the AH entirely or will be wildly inflated.

The timing of this change is also terrible, at a time when many new goldmakers are jumping in to try and get their brutosaur before you take it away in a matter of mere months. The brutosaur is undeniably a reward and status symbol for generating excessive amounts of gold - but now goblins are being punished for doing so. This is the third time the goalposts have been shifted.

Please, PLEASE reconsider this. If it is not to be reverted, then at least widen the limit substantially :weary:

Further, to toss this in as a hotfix with literally zero communication until it is causing problems for players (addon users and non-users alike), and then to lock the feedback thread without creating another to facilitate discussion, shows such little regard for your customers. Please - engage openly and in good faith with the goldmaking community to come up with a solution.

9 Likes

You hit post, you hit cancel. The addon does everything else. All you do it hit the button. That my friend, is automation.

1 Like

Except, it’s not. It fills in a blizzard API string within the confines of the API and skips the confirmation window.

It does what amounts to the addon I use to autofill DELETE in the box when you’re destroying a blue item

4 Likes

That’s a great point, Yasudra. Well said.

4 Likes