Attunements: Are you for or against them?

Attunements were a core part of the TBC experience. Clear cut goals for players to accomplish to be deemed “worthy” of entering the next raid.

Personally I’ll next TBC classic if they aren’t in the game. So im 100% for attunements.

What about you? For or against?

21 Likes

I’m 100% for attunements as they are a marker that you’re ready for the raid or dungeon to which you just attuned to.

30 Likes

Attunemnts are a catch 22. Find a 25 man raid group so that you can attempt a 25-man raid.

They are fine for anyone who is playing from Day 1 but they are terrible for anyone who decides to take up the game at a later date. And that is why they were removed midway through the expansion and have never returned - Blizzard wants people to be able to catch up. Attunements were a hard road block to that.

To be clear I am fine with attunements that only require a dungeon run or something similar. The Karazhan attunement was a rite of passage that nearly everyone went through together and was fine. But needing a 25 man raid group is totally different in a game with raid lockouts and gear progression.

4 Likes

The time spent needs to be the same or similar to the original.

4 Likes

The attunements were fun

16 Likes

kael thas / lady vashj being harder than everything in T6 minus illidan / archimonde ( and even that is debatable) is not a proper progression path.

but people will probably only realize it when they have to reclear both T5 raid just to flag a single new member for T6. fun times.

1 Like

I’m for how they went in TBC. In at first, out at the end. Our first Teron Gorefiend kill was with only 21 people, because that’s all we had attuned one night. We got back to over 25 the next week, but it’s not fun having to drag through SSC/TK after more than a year of having done it.

1 Like

I think that the meta and motivation for people to get attuned will be MUCH different than it was originally.

With over 13 years of knowledge, people know about the attunements. They know EXACTLY what they need to do to get attuned. I’m against this, but there will probably even be gold boosting services to get people attuned.

The meta will be significantly different, and people who are truly interested in experiencing TBC will make sure to get their attunements completed. So i really don’t see attunements even for Hyjal (killing Vashj and Kael) being a problem for the vast majority of the active player base.

And even for people who started late, there will be guilds on all levels of progression, which i think is a great thing. It means that ALL content in the game is relevant to different groups of people, not just the most recent released raids. Which is just another reason why attunements are great for the game.

People quit, class needs change and you bring in alts, and then you run through it all again is fine early, sucks late.

3 Likes

Another thing is differentiation. The guilds that put in the most work, will be most visibly ahead. Everyone will not be walking around in the same most recent dungeon gear at the time of release.

The problem is this just isn’t true, and it’s not how it happened in TBC originally at all.

In TBC you had the haves, and you had the have nots. The haves were the people who played from the start, who got attuned to every tier as it was new, and were in Black Temple in 2.1.

Then you had the have nots who started playing post 2.1 and found that they couldn’t do anything past Karazhan without being a member of a 25-man raiding guild. But all the 25-man raiding guilds were already long past that point and weren’t interested into going back into content they had cleared months ago to attune people.

So the have nots just ran dungeons and karazhan over and over and over again until the Release of Zul’Aman. And then the ran Zul’Aman until attunements were removed in 2.4.

1 Like

I love attunements, personally and I wish they never removed them.

6 Likes

Well clearly there was a lack of desire on their part, because if they truly wanted to get into SSC / TK / Hyjal / BT, they would have found a way. Hell, I found a way.

No one was barring you from joining a Kara guild, and continuing to recruit similar players to form a 25 man raiding guild, or even merging with other Kara guilds to get the 25 needed. By the way, this happened all the time on the servers i played on back in TBC.

I remember a guild who started as a Kara only guild in 2.1, and within a two month span, they put in the hard work and effort of recruiting. They killed Gruul, Magtheradon (to which they had to get attuned through heroic dungeons), Cleared SSC / TK, and killed the first boss in Hyjal to complete the attunement to Black Temple. After those 2 months, they went on to complete Black Temple and Hyjal and began farming warglaives and all the gear in BT / Hyjal to prepare for sunwell.

The point in this is to say its absolutely possible if people really want to see the content, they can. They just need to put in effort. TBC was an expansion centered around personal responsibility and effort of the players. Theres a reason it gained over 4 million subscribers over its lifetime as the first expansion to WoW. It was just a plain entertaining and good game. Attunements were a major part of that.

3 Likes

No, they weren’t.

Attunements were a dirty black mark on an otherwise great game that significantly ruined the experience for a huge percentage of the player base.

Hence, they were removed completely and taken out the back and shot, and never even considered again.

Attunements were awful and everyone who played the game then knows it.

The only people who argue for attunements are the people who got them without any effort at all and then looked down on anyone who didn’t have them.

5 Likes

Leave them in but only for cosmetic rewards. In TBC they contributed greatly to a very toxic guild hopping atmosphere and are best not being required for entry to the raid.

2 Likes

Attunements are fine.

:pancakes:

For i have always liked attunments i also liked how heroic keys were behind reputation.

1 Like

lol k.

I think i’ve made my point crystal clear with you in other threads. You are just entitled / lazy and clearly don’t care to put in the effort it takes to get attuned.

See you in TBC! (with attunements and all!)

4 Likes

I won’t be playing TBC.

I prefer challenging content.

But I do hope it is a success and that’s why I hope attunements aren’t part of it. I mean you’re clearly clueless if you think attunements are a good idea. Everyone knows they aren’t. I just hope that Blizzard are smarter than you.

The attunements were part of the TBC experience so should stay. If they are removed it can be the same, half way through the phases or whatever when people are more inclined to run with alts.

Plus TBC requires a very small amount of time to get things done, including PVP, so there has to be some sort of at least initial time sink.

That’s how I see this anyway.