At what point does the community own more of the game than the developers?

When can a community band together and influence the development in a game over the companies wishes? How often does the majority influence change regardless of the process of development? Is it purely low sales and less investment, is the adage of using your wallet a grandiose enough idea to make a change?

Are we there now with wow?

I will say this, Diablo’s community is an unshakable pillar when it comes to making things happen. There’s a sense of community - toxic as it may be - that feels very influential over the game.

own? never.

should players have a say? yes. does that mean they should fallow what we say? not always

7 Likes

You don’t think you’re entitled to a piece of the intellectual property at this point?

How much money is between enjoyment and ownership?

1 Like

Absolutely not! Why would you even think that?

1 Like

I like using windows based OS. Microsoft should send me a check based upon my use clearly

3 Likes

I think it’s high time you deserve it, for sure.

Bill Gates should have cut us a check long time ago.

Because, I feel like it. Diablo isn’t Blizzards anymore. It’s ours. Given enough of a community rallying, we could own this game also.

Invest heavily in Activision, become a member of the board, get all your ideas done your way.

Or go the easy route and level a crafting profession.

3 Likes

Ask Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro :slight_smile: :popcorn:

1 Like

Neither party own the game. One is paying to play it, while the other is being paid to develop it.

See?!
SEE!?

OGL got obliterated because the community said no. We can own the creative process by telling Blizzard no emphatically.

Fair enough. Hows about an example or two that you Diablo owners got pushed in? :smiley:

I would say so. Back during it’s peak Blizzard could get away with being flippant with the community but that era is over.

WoW fails spectacularly at bringing in new blood and only stands to lose more players by outright ignoring the wishes of the community.

Now that they’re not replacing the players they’re losing they’re between a rock and a hard place.

We made Wyatt Cheng cry.

As antagonistic as that is, I’m glad it happened.

What leads anyone to think this?

1 Like

Hunger or something.

1 Like

they are being sold so i would say yes as numbers are a huge incentive for selling the place lower players means lower sale price

Not in this game. There are games where there are options. This isn’t one of them.

I have belonged to several vibrant communities that were destroyed because Blizzard devs needed social control over the in-game lives of their players.

Look at what they did with DnD and wizards of the coast this past month. Fascinating stuff how the community banded together and changes what WotC was trying to do. They listened to the wallets and subscriptions. That’s what it comes down to and thats all they listen to.

When you can afford, and obtain, 51% of their stock.

That is an interesting notion. It’s weird because you would think with the level of crippling defeat Blizzard has suffered year after year that there’d be no power in those little… blue… polos they wear.

You don’t need ownership in the company to own them. You just have to rally enough of the community that the money speaks to their board of directors.

Look how fast we got Diablo 4 announced after Immortal bombed? Hell, they even shut down Blizzcon because of it.