Assassination or Sub?

Hey All,

I’ve been Sub on this Alt, and I am trying to get through the Night Fae campaign and do a little Torghast / pvp on the side. I’ve been hearing now that Assassination is something to try. How does it perform vs. Sub in PvE and PvP now? I was Assassination all through BFA but then switched to Sub as it was buffed for Shadowlands. Is Assassination viable for soloin’g PvE content? How does it perform in PVP?

Thanks.

Play what you enjoy. There is not right/wrong answer here. For me, I enjoy assa better for both pve and pvp.

2 Likes

Totally understood on the ‘play what you enjoy’ advice but I’ve always liked both specs. I gunning for Rated BG’s with some 2’s and 3’s thrown in. I also want to be able to solo Torghast to level up my Legendary. I never see Assassination on any of the PVP leaderboards… so I was just curious if it had a boost with this new patch (9.0.5) or not.

Cheers.

I think you’ll start to see more assa especially for average players. If your primary is to do RBG then I’d say gear sub. Because the requirements to start assa is only around 10% haste you can grab from vault when there isn’t an upgrade for sub, thats kind of what I did.
For TOR or the small amount of pve I do, I enjoy assa better.

Sin just feels so much better from the start of the expac because of the cut to the chase change.

I think sub is going to remain the best for PvP until they nerf MA lego. Just flat out stupid damage and control.

I’ve been trying assassination and once you get used to it, things seem to be pretty alright. It feels less one-dimensional than the other two specs and there are multiple viable legendaries to choose from.

The biggest plus for me is the ability to choose how you want to deal damage since you have the option of doing quick burst from opener, dotting up (and “burst” dots with exsanguinate) or applying constant pressure.

Poisoned knife is a great kiting/catching up/keeping in combat tool too, especially since the spec has limited mobiity.

Yes. Hitting level 56 was a game changer lol

Even without the MA Leggo, the amount of burst Sub can do is ridiculous. And that’s currently the meta for PvP. Burst damage. So sub will still stay the PvP go to.

Not saying Sin can’t compete or do well, but between the two, Sub will probably stay on top for pvp

No it doesn’t. It feels brain dead now.

1 Like

For PvE, there is no fight save SKS that Sin does not out perform sub atm. It is 10%+ ahead in ST.

For pvp sub is still better.

It does play considerably better now, its smooth.

Not having to refresh SnD on slow spec is wonders, and gives freedom to use anything else, this is specially true when facing multiple enemies.

1 Like

No offense but it played fine before. It’s absolutely brain dead now. It was only slow if you smashed your buttons like a Mongloid.

Sin is an absolute snore fest now. It should continue doing trash damage since it’s so easy to play now.

Idk about you but that change was quite the buff on Cleave situations.

Not having to expend CP on SnD over and over again is a huge pro in general, and again, Sin is the slowest spec out of the 3 specs, SnD was just clunky in it, thats reality.

Besides theres nothing wrong with a spec with low skill floor.

2 Likes

Here’s the honest truth. It doesn’t change anything. The only difference between cleave and single target is that instead of using an envenom you do another rupture.

It was clunky for bad players.
If you knew how to properly pool your energy it wasn’t clunky at all. On top of that you’re not really changing much besides dumbing down the spec.

Low skill floor specs should do trash dps and not be the default raid spec.

Nah, thats stupid, all specs should be as close as possible in dmg, doesnt matter how hard they are.

Besides what matters is mastering the spec as well as the skill for PvE and PvP

6 Likes

Negative. Easy to play specs should do lower damage than harder to play specs.

If you want to play the brain dead easy spec that’s fine, you shouldn’t do too damage ever if you make that choice.

Nah, thats simply stupid if the spec is useless then why even bother with it?

Dmg should be equal, not have massive differences like it currently does now.

5 Likes

That’s your opinion.

The spec that is pushing three buttons should never do the same damage as the spec pushing 9

1 Like

Well…

Besides specs have drawbacks regardless of difficulty, even Sin, for example, both of their Burst CD only work for 1 specific target and their AoE dmg is mediocre outside of Talents that sacrifice ST dmg.

3 Likes

Most specs have to choose between single target or aoe.

Still a trash argument.

Bad players playing an easier spec should not do the same dps as good players playing a harder spec.