As a new player, is there something im missing with pvp

As the titles says, newish player, never played pvp, tried it out, and it was a miserable experience of one sided matches after one sides matches, be it Alliance with 15 players against Horde of 7 (or vice versa), or one team will have that player, who never dies and one shots everyone like he is Doctor Manhattan. And even when I’m on a team like that it boring and not fun, cause the enemy gets there crap kicked in to the point they mostly bail or dont even leave spawn.

Am I missing something, I want to get better, I do, but pvp as a new player is just not fun or rewarding or is just down right tedious and miserable. Is it me, or is WoW pvp so bad or unbalanced or something, that as a new player I shouldn’t even touch it.

3 Likes

Right now it is pretty early to pass opinions on how its all going to work out.
Keep in mind, the weekend is coming up and the masses will have some free time to kick back and really put some quality time in.
Once we get the crafted PVP items flowing on an AH near you, this will be a good start imo.
As for gearing right now, its in a good spot. Epics are a good way to blend in and obtain a full honor set. On par with everyone around us. 100%
Matchmaking definitely needs some quality of life changes, lets see what they do.

2 Likes

You got it all right. That’s literally what wow PvP is.

Blizzard refuses to Sync gear item level so it can cause major problems. Right now Gear gap isn’t so bad (on paper) but when it comes to in game it’s still bad. Good thing is Gear this time around is easy to get. You can easily get a gear set in a day or two…maybe a few hours depending on luck.

The other issue is balance. Blizzard has well over 30 specs to balance in this game. So sometimes a few specs are completely trash in PvP. Sometimes whole classes are bad in pvp.

On the other hand you have some classes that get over turned and just 1 shot everything it their path. Right now Demon hunter is that class.when this happens people call it “Flavor of the month” because that class is so overpowered that everyone who thinks being in God mode is fun will play it.

I never understood God mode as in most games it’s called “Cheating” but some people find it fun.

So yea that’s Wow PvP for you. It’s a frustrating mess.

It’s is also the 1st week of an expansion so right now its a horrible mess. When they do the tuning patch it will get better. nerfs will happen and Buffs will happen….but regardless PvP in this game is fun even though it’s a complete mess.

For some reason I keep coming back to Wow just for the PvP. So it’s doing something right….but yea if you’re looking for balanced PVP from an MMO don’t play wow.

2 Likes

new players vs 15 year vets.
working as intended.

1 Like

There is no MMR and seemingly no protections from facing a full premade team on discord when you are just a bunch of solos. There used to be a thing where premades can only face others but it seems long gone. Then there is the gear difference. 411 gear is insane and very quick to get so MOST people are going to have it already. Someone trying it out for the first time will basically fight nearly full geared people.

The good news is bgs are yolo and a waste of time. Since gear is so fast to get now you can easily be done with them in a single day, then never have to do them again and focus on more balanced aspects of pvp like arena and RBGs.

1 Like

Suffer through it and earn honor and get better gear. Duel people outside of your capital city. Watch videos of your class pvping. Gotta start somewhere, we all did.

u r not the only one who is having a miserable time.

metoo

every single game i play i gotta beg the mages or shammies on my team to lust/warp (this isnt the toon i play on)

play Warsong gulch and all 9 other people on my team go to the flag room… its like they avoid pvp.

horde is really bad right now and its literally making the game zero fun

You’re not missing anything. It is a miserable experience because faction imbalance and gear imbalance cause huge issues.

The amount of stats you gain from going from 340 item level to 411 item level is absolutely insane. Not to mention when you hit max level you’re probably going to be at about 300 ilvl. You will have less than half the HP of a fully honor geared player and deal probably less than half the damage. And this is just the beginning of the first tier.

Blizzard historically has been really bad about scaling gear stats with item level so that the process of gearing up through PvP is extremely miserable.

Another issue is blizzard seems to not care at all about racial abilities being imbalanced. It often changes from time to time, but at this moment alliance has all the best PvP racials, which means the Meta players transfer, and then all their followers watch their guides and also transfer.

Luckily this expansion, you don’t need nearly as much honor to get a full set of gear. I would recommend queuing for epic BGs.

1 Like

The main issue is the gap between starting 70 and honor pvp ilevel (~320 to 411). Anyone who had a stockpile of honor going in completely overpowered anyone who didn’t. Until everyone is on an equal playing field damage wise, the only way to figure out class balance is to see who can CC who into oblivion.

1 Like

What’s a good server for epic BG’s, cause the one I’m on seems to never have any going on.

Random bg’s are just training. Use them to get some PvP practice in and work on your gear. Once you get a good feel for it you can move into arenas and rated

They can easily be mistaken for one another.

they avoid pvp because some are probably not fully geared and care more about getting as much honor as possible in a short time. Along wtih major pvp class imbalance.

You just queue up in the group finder.

These people saying WoW PvP sucks and that OP isn’t missing much, I wonder why they even play. I’m having a blast with PvP again and had since I started playing in '08 until Legion ruined the gearing system.

OP, I’d say get you a full set of honor gear from BGs and go out front of SW to duel some people. It’ll be a steep learning curve but if you approach it with a mentality for improvement then you’ll get pretty good pretty fast.

PvP is really fun when you start to know what you’re doing, if you just PvE at these players then it’ll feel senseless. When you start learning how to use CDs and outplay people PvP becomes super engaging.

2 Likes

no you are correct, even as a long time player i find myself in a similar boat and i know whats going on. the game isnt fun or interesting. its completely cd based and has no real back and forth. people die to fast and healers are unkillable unless mobbed or globaled. i cant really blame anyone at this point for not wanting to pvp with how the game is, ever since SL its just been so gimmicky. unpopular opinion, minus unkillable healers and a few stupidly busted azerite traits, BFA S1 pacing actually felt right minus rouge and mage.

I would recommend either trying lower level PvP (appropriately geared) or else wait for the crafted set. It’s hard enough learning the basics without the huge gear gap, both those options would allow some breathing room so you’ll at least survive a few hits and be able to figure out some alternative responses.

Same, having a lot of fun in PVP again, even not fully honor geared, i’ve just came back after being MIA for most Shadowlands but first couple of weeks

I think the point most of here missing is that the OP is not even about DF PVP, judging by the comment that “the epic BGs never pop up”,
and anything under 60 is wild west territory with twinks and other balancing stuff that never get addressed.

2 Likes

You’re probably correct. No gems nor enchants, low level for that type of character can be rough given its competitive nature even with ilvl scaling. Stay with the group, attack their target, CC their healer or people attacking your healer. Put the cheap gemstones in open slots, may be best to wait for max level then try low level BGs again so you can feed resources. It can be really competitive and fotm.

I know many will say its too early to judge, but pvp matchmaking, for the most part, feels outdated.