Arfus in Retail

According to Wowhead it looks like the Arfus pet will also be available in Retail as a drop form the Headless Horseman. Hopefully they’re right. :smiley:

1 Like

They are. You can see it in the journal on live. What we don’t know is what the droprate will look like.

I wonder if it will be from the new hard mode version of the fight only.

1 Like

I am… cautiously optimistic… about this one.

On one hand, hooray Arfus won’t be exclusive to Classic. But on the other hand, it’s BoP and currently flagged as “not cageable”, which means if the droprate is (unreasonably) low then collectors may not even get this pet (at least, not this year), making its addition to Retail a big ‘meh’ instead of a ‘hooray’. Cynical part of me feels like the latter will happen.

6 Likes

We need more cageable pets!

Technically, the Headless Horseman’s Reins is a drop from the Headless Horseman, but it has been a source of rage and anguish for years, not a good thing.

It comes down to drop rates, as usual. Blizzard’s continued infatuation with slot machines.

1 Like

If that is true, it ensures that queues will be quick

Every pet collector will queue until they get one

People on Wowhead say its dropped for them from the Headless Horseman loot pumpkin.

2 Likes

Yep, drops from both regular and ‘heroic’ mode (curses), for characters 60+

2 Likes

What do you mean “curses”? I’ve read where other people say they got it without “curses”.

1 Like

It’s the hardmode version. You talk to the wicker men for the curse debuffs:

Curse of the Wicker Men

4 debuffs are required to achieve Kickin’ With the Wick.

1 Like

Okay, I get that but I’m saying people on Wowhead have said they got the pet in their loot bag without being cursed. So, its confusing.

The curses just give you access to an achievement if you do it right, and a slightly increased drop chance on the rarer rewards (mount, Arfus, drake manuscript). Not required, just gives you some extra % chance.

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. I’ve run the instance on 5 alts this morning, the last one I took the curse from just the wicker man in the instance, and did not see any change to the loot. So, now I understand the curses give you a slight better chance at receiving better loot.

2 Likes

That’s why I said both versions, normal and cursed. Some people weren’t sure if it would drop without the curses, but it does.

2 Likes

i think its just an increased chance on the FIRST toon on your account, not all the time.

"
Zinsus:

Is there an increased chance on the first kill of the day for the headless horseman mount?

Yes, and the first drop of the day receives a bonus likelihood that scales with the number of curses you apply."

1 Like

Sauce:

1 Like

Haven’t gotten Arfus yet over any of my toons, but I have gotten two mounts (already got that when it was first available as loot way back when) and X4 on the sword…no Arfus or Manuscript yet.

The only thing I’ve seen from my dozen alts is the Scarlet Monastery key and a redundant battle pet (fourth for my account).

Maybe tonight or later this week.

1 Like

I ran 25 level 60-70 characters yesterday and got a nice piece of armor on 2, and a bunch of the squishing pets that you can’t even give away anymore. No mount (other than a holiday-only broom) and not Arfus.

1 Like