Arenas FILLED with paid carries

My friend and I busted our butts to get our 2’s rating to 1960. This is not even 2 weeks ago.

The last two weeks we go in there during the day and we are fighting team after team after team lining up perfect kill combo’s on us, flawless cc chains, smooth af cooldown usage.

Then we look after the game and it’s someone with 2.1-2.2k mmr playing with someone that’s 1600/1700 mmr. Game, after game, after game.

The matchmaking system is broken, and the paid carry system is broken. I don’t care if people do this in PvE because ultimately it doesn’t affect someone elses quality of life but it’s hard to explain how we were able to play to 1960 and now we’ve tanked into the low 1700’s. Just because we queued at the wrong times? This is my first time fully immersing myself in PVP and it’s been a complete bull show.

Something doesn’t seem right here. Maybe I just suck. I’m no gladiator but ffs someone throw me a bone here. Is it just me or is the system stacked right now for people who got in the arena game late?

Additional thought added to the conversation:

Okay so I think I’m probably beating a dead horse here but I can’t find another thread talking about the matchmaking system right now and how it’s not only severely outdated, but extremely ineffective and frustrating to most players who aren’t fast out the gate to get their ratings up.

Look, I think J1MMY the Runescape content creator summed it up rather well when talking about his own game, but I think WoW needs to consider virtually the same issues that he does so if you want go check out that vid.

Random queues for things and rated environment being separate is super detrimental. This should just not be a thing anymore. Random queues should all be rated. You should then get put in a league or a ladder of players who are of similar skill level to you. There should be multiple ladders depending on if you queue by yourself or in a full group and those games should be separate from each other. At certain points players should be demoted or promoted in and out of their system. Would help a lot to prevent paid carries too because people couldn’t just tank their ratings overnight.

61 Likes

Same, I’m stuck breaking past 1800 because I keep going against people with the soul eater gladiator mount.

3 Likes

A friend of mine and I usually look at those sites that sell those services against TOS for actual money each raid tier and laugh at the prices then move on. With the stimulus checks coming out, I was curious as to if it would affect that stuff so I checked it a couple of times per week. A couple of those sites were ‘sold out’ of $1,000 heroic CN runs. $1,000… for one run… and they were sold out.

Why do I bring this up? If people are paying $1,000 for one CN run then I’d be extremely surprised to learn they were not paying for rated pvp considering the IL rewards. Currently you have not only the pvp people willing to pay obscene amounts of real money for a rating, you also have pve people also spending the same amounts for IL.

Of course, that’s just the people risking TOS violations and trusting random foreign websites with thousands of dollars. There are also the people paying in game gold through the token system to purchase boosts. I can’t say for sure if an actual correlation exists but I also checked token prices quite frequently during the issuance of the last stimulus check and the gold value went from about 119k down to 105k or so right after the checks started going out.

TLDR; I imagine with the increase in extra money some people have due to the checks, the fact that pvp gear has a higher IL than a lot of pve content, the fact that pvp gear allows more choice as to what gear you get, and a couple of other factors you’re probably right in your assumption.

:man_shrugging:t3:

Edit: (Updated) Arenas FILLED with paid carries - #117 by Jamesmarcus-arthas

1 Like

meh who cares if gear drought didnt exist people wouldnt need to buy carries just to get 220 pieces

if i knew a day of puggin rbgs would get mea bunch of 220 pieces i wouldnt have wasted my time in raid/m+

15 Likes

How do you exactly carry in arena without breaking TOS for win trading and piloting ??

easy
warrior/ healer

gimmi 200k
ok now hide behind this pillarall game while i do god tier peels and top tier damage

get 1800

buy gear be happy

??? you played your own toon so how is that against the tos

5 Likes

If Blizzard made PvE drops gear more PvE players wouldn’t pay carries.

14 Likes

I don’t arena much but I noticed this earlier pushing to a measly 1400. The carries are people in the 1500-1600 rating with 37k hp and teammates having <900. My friend and I are pretty crap at pvp and gear, so we only sometimes win against evenly geared and matched players. I wish they would matchmake based on ilvl as an additional factor.

8 Likes

This is all over. even on the 1400 rating you have people with gladiator that have dropped their rating to carry people, or people that are 2100 rating in 2s just carrying people

5 Likes

So one dude killed two players in a legit match and not told the two players to stay afk . So basically he tanked his rating to play on a lower bracket??

omg if someone paid $1000 to be carried through a raid I really hope they aren’t using their stimulus check for that (they obviously didn’t need it in the first place!)

10 Likes

dont try to dance around it to create some ‘‘against’’ the tos theme because your against something
lol
pvp carries went on since bc
it wasnt illegal then it isnt illegal now
blizz at most added a debuff if you dont join the match (back in mop) beyond that they dont give a damn if you tank rating

Gearing is harder than ever. Elite content is a bigger part of the game. PvP is required to get gear.

Blame devs for design changes that could arguably be intended to increase token sales for paid carries.

24 Likes

Never said tanking your rating is against the government law and will put you to prison or anything else ingame specifically :rofl:.

So the carrier lost matches to bring his rating down so he can sell carries that would be it .

1 Like

you know what i mean now your just playing stupid

Focus the person with the lesser rating?

The reason your seeing this is because other loot systems are nowhere near as efficient. M+ doesn’t have any way to guarantee loot for a certain slot, and Raiding drops little gear compared to group sizes. Arena’s on the other hand provide loot at a fairly even pace that can very nicely augment both M+ and raiding. The only road bump is the rating, which is where selling comes in.

If you want the number of carries to go down, the correct solution is to fix the issues with the other loot sources. M+ needs some sort of token system (like, I dunno, JUSTICE?!), while raids need to drop 1-2 pieces per boss.

2 Likes

It’s the loot, and the vanity rewards.
You see it around certain breakpoints and it becomes obvious.

People just want the gear/mounts/enchants/sets and will shell out for it. Literally nothing can stop it because it’s being done for gold, outside killing the exclusivity of these items, which just isn’t fair to the people competing legit for them.
It’s frustrating but it is as it is.

It will get better and easier as the season inflates though. I don’t usually start pushing until like 2-3+ months in to avoid it.

Shouldn’t two 2k players be able to beat an R1 and a guy who needs carried?

5 Likes

Devil’s advocate here but depending on the skill of the “carry” it shouldn’t be that big of an issue.

Gladiator players aren’t superhuman, most can’t 2v1 competent players, certainly not consistently.

Besides as long as there’s no account sharing or real money involved, what do you want Blizzard to do exactly?

Its not against the ToS to play with people lower rated than you.

9 Likes