Arena - Reduce Rating Requirements for Items?

I dont think that word means what you think it means.

Also starting at 1500 doesnt mean he’d regress to 1200 if hes 1200 now. 1200 is actually the average arena rating currently, hed still be around 1500 if we started at 1500 & its where the average player sits. (Just an example idk his ratings)

A 300 point grind vs an 1800 one is more palatable to the casual pvper & it also provides room for players wanting sandbag their mmr before remaking a team and doing a title push. Much more pointless to do in the current system.

The removal of teams + the start at 0 takes away from this. Not objectively a bad thing, I do not care either way, but it does effect people regardless. Try not to dismiss people when you yourself are a bit clueless on the topic.

Also someone remaking a team for a fresh shot at their desired rating & hitting a lucky streak doesnt mean he “Doesnt deserve it”.

4 Likes

Excellent, thoughful post.

1 Like

sorry for being so coarse

i do want some sort of “arena playground” server or… i guess realm phased content?

like you go to a place and youre instant 80 in that place only, and you have access to all gear. And only play against people who are in that “phase” so you dont screw over actual 80s who leveled and got gear?

I dunno, i guess im at an age where i just want to play WoW ya know. The gear is fun and an awesome aspect of the game, but I would love to see a place where like everyone is on the same playing field and you just go out there and theory craft and bash each other apart.

Arena is trash, and gating all of the PVP gear behind Arena is trash. Remove Arena Rating requirements and add a way to convert Honor Points to Arena Points. Even something really low like 10k HP for 50 AP would work.

Currently, if you don’t do Arena, it takes almost 2 months to get enough Arena Points to buy the lowest tier of PVP weapon from doing the BG dailies. All the while you’ll be getting destroyed by players with a PVE weapon that’s 40 iLvls higher. Nerf the stats on PVE weapons when they’re used in BGs and Arenas.

2 Likes

^ Then give Valanyr / Shadowmourne mats for normal dungeon emblems while you’re at it. and put algalon25 loot on violet hold normal. All in the interest of fairness of course.

Isn’t this all original wrath design? the rating req was even lowered from what it used to be. why ask for core changes to the design of the game in a re-creation?

1 Like

Bring skill back, remove rating requirements, maybe increase price on peices

2 Likes

Imagine PvPing for the sake of the competitive aspect and wanting skill to be the defining factor.

Instead, we’ve got these lunkheads applying poorly thought out morality to gear.

The gear is basically the reward for the rank. So you’re saying that the competitive, skill-based mode, should not have skill based rewards, and the rewards should just be given out as participation trophies?

In Counter Strike, and every single competitve game, you don’t get a higher rank just for playing. You need skill.

Previous post deleted bc i forgot to directly reply.

Imagine thinking that someone having one piece of gear more then you makes a game unwinnable. I got a full hateful mage with titansteel wep at 2100.

The rating requirements are fine where they’re at imo. The only issue is that players who pve and pvp can get pve weapons that are better than the pvp weapon you can get at 1800, which makes it harder for players who only pvp to get their weapon upgrade at 1800 rating. I see so many players with ulduar HM weps stuck at 1600 rating and they have no incentive to hit 1800 since their weapon is already better. Also, there should be a ilvl 226 pvp weapon available so pvpers have more weapon options. I’d say requirement for that should be 14-1500.

1 Like

Are there rating requirements in retail?

rationalize it however you want, you’re just begging for free gear. Can you imagine the trolls freaking out if you demanded Alg25 loot for free, or from a heroic+?

We are telling you participation would not increase if there were no rating reqs. PVE’ers would cap 10 games per week of yolo 5s, that’s it. (remember tbcc?) No one would do 2s or 3s since it gives less points. You’ve seen how hard these guys minmax in PVE, why would they play a sub-optimal bracket for less points rewarded?

But mid-tier players who WERE pushing 2s and 3s to get our weaps would now have zero incentive to do so.

hitting ratings is the only fun part of this game for many people, and you wanna take it away so you can have +12 stamina on your shoulders so you can farm DK bots harder in a BG. It makes no sense

2 Likes

well, u can say that because u are a DK, u can play without resilience and still tank good damage, im a cloth, more resilience the better

Sounds like you’d want an FPS or MOBA, and not a classic MMORPG.

1 Like

I hated pvp gearing in og wrath and I hate it now. Cata asap pls.

I continuously see this argument of PVE gear progression vs PVP gear and it’s rather disingenuous to compare the two types of content.

At no point in a raid encounter does the fight get more difficult, nor does the boss become more skilled as you fight it. It’s a scripted encounter, and the more gear you obtain the easier the fight becomes. With the exception of server first achievements there is no competitive aspect to raiding. Players create their own games of speed clears, parsing, etc - but none of that matters unless you’re a log monkey.

This is not how PVP functions. As rating increases you (should) face better and better opponents. In order for arena rating to be any reflection of actual skill there needs to be a level playing field. Any rewards from arena should be purely cosmetic (ie mounts, tabards, elite gear coloring). Gating stronger gear behind rating creates a skewed environment for anyone below 2200 and largely just feeds the boosting/RMT community.

My question is that if you’re actually good at PVP, why are you against other players having access to the same level of gear to be competitive?

5 Likes

Because it transcends into arena geared players who overwhelm random BGers like me and get off on it.

No rating requirements for PvP. Rating requirements only affect how strong the PvP gear is in PvE.

4 Likes

Have you tried gitting gud? It’s already extremely inflated, I got to 2.2 in full deadly gear, 252ilvl weapons shouldn’t be getting handed that easily to every pleb on the street because that makes most raid weapons pointless to get, for example, the 2.2 weapon I got is better than anything I can get in HMs.
The truth is, if you can’t get higher ratings without a crutch then good gear isn’t really going to save you, focus on learning the game more other than thinking gear is holding you back

1 Like

If PVE is so easy for you, you must already have a 252 weap? (We don’t know, since you choose to post on a weird char)

Then why are you up in arms over a 252 weap from PVP? The 2200 wep is basically a raid wep, but with one of the “good” stats changed to resil, 97(2h) or 41(1h). And maybe some STAM instead of AGI/INT. That’s it.

PVP offers players a maximum of TWO slots with 252 ilvl. Shield-wearing classes get only a MH wep, no offhand.
PVE offers SIXTEEN more potential slots of 252 ilvl gear. (Of course you won’t wear 16 slots of PVE gear, but many classes can get away with varying levels of “PVE greed” builds)
PVE gear also offers insane arena game-changers like Shadowmourne, Valanyr, ICC proc rings, set bonuses, and trinkets.

Let me know what your plans are to level the playing field for arena. I actually agree with your ideas in principle, but if you’re looking for a perfectly-balanced PVP game, I don’t think demanding sweeping changes to a re-release of WOTLK WoW is the right tree to bark up.

One final note, if you’re actually facing enemies with 2200 weaps in arena then you are already very close to that rating yourself. No one with 2200 weaps is stomping beginners in the 1200 bracket, and if they are, I guarantee you will receive -0 for the loss.

I debated even posting this reply since I feel like I’m just talking in circles reiterating stuff I already said in this thread, but I felt obligated since you directly replied to me.